Truck Overturns Near North-South Tollway

Queen Prawn

Truck Overturns Near North-South Tollway

CHICAGO -- Several people were reported injured -- at least one critically --- Monday afternoon in an accident involving a semi-trailer truck and cars near I-355 in Itasca, the Illinois State Police said.

A semi-trailer truck "rolled onto some cars" on Highway 53 where the interstate splits with I-290, state police Elgin District Sgt. Robert Huber said shortly before 2 p.m..

The truck driver and a woman whose car was "crushed" by the truck's trailer had to be extricated, Huber said. He said the woman was airlifted to a hospital but did not know which facility.

The truck driver was taken to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove with "non life-threatening injuries," Huber said.

The rig was westbound on I-290, and where the interstate curves to meet I-355 to go northbound, it went across all of the northbound lanes, the sergeant said.

The truck then hit a median wall and lost its trailer, which went over the wall and landed on cars below, Huber said.

"We're working feverishly" to get roadways open before the afternoon rush hour, he said at 2:45 p.m.

Itasca Fire Protection District officials remained on the scene, a district secretary said.

"It was a serious accident," Huber said.

I-355 southbound at I-290 was "completely shut down," Huber said.

Two to four cars were involved in the accident, in addition to the semi-trailer truck, he said.

The Itasca Fire Department responded to the accident scene, Huber said.

There are pictures of the wreckage on the page.

:pray :pray :pray

I travel this stretch every day. I couldn't even tell you the number of wrecks I've seen. When I get in my car each time, I pray I make it to my destination in one piece. I just watched a report 2 and 7 did and damn, that poor lady likely didn't see it coming until the split second before it happened.

I feel for the truck driver especially if they do conclude it was driver error. Just from some of the pictures, if they don't conclude driver error, it looks like catastrophic failure in the drive axle area or a blowout as there doesn't appear to have been any braking going on at all.

One way or another, :pray :pray for all the families touched by this.

Edited by Queen Prawn