Emmitt Smith ready to call it quits

I'm not gonna get into the argument here. Just state my opinion on the greats. Here is my list.

1. Jim Brown

2. Barry Sanders

3. Walter Payton

4. Emmit Smith

5. Curtis Martin

Jerome Bettis is the top power back of all time over Earl.

Edgerrin James has a decent shot at Emmit. Clinton Portis has alot of yards to go, but he's very young at 23 and already has 4400 yards rushing. If Clinton stays healthy, he could break the record. Say he plays for 11 more seasons and retires at 34-35. He would need to average 1260+ a season which isn't unreasonable, but health is always the biggest problem, if he misses any significant time he's gonna be behind alot.

I don't know about Portis. I personally don't think there is any chance he plays until he's 35. But if he runs more like he did in his first two years, he might have a shot. If he plays until he's 32, he'd need to average about 1550 a year. That's a lot to ask, but if he plays a little longer than that or puts up a couple of 1700 or 1800 yard seasons in the near future, he might have a shot. If I absolutely had to pick a current player, I'd take Tomlinson. If he plays until 32 like I picked for Portis, he'd need a whopping 1780 per year. However, I have more faith in him playing until about 34, and he seems to be a little more durable than Portis. If he did that, it would be a much more reachable 1384, and I have faith that he can put up a few monster years. It's still going to be really tough though. I think the eventual answer will be that the NFL eventually has to let underclassmen in, which pushes up the timetable a little. I think if they let someone like Adrian Peterson in this year (I'm not saying he'd do it, I'm just saying it would have to be a freshman phenom that would start), that would make life easier. If someone can get in the league at 20, then they could get to 15000 yards at 30 if they kick some ass, making it more reachable.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
good call. one of my favorite players. shoulda went out a cowboy...

It was mentioned in the article I started this thread with, but I'm pretty sure Dallas will allow him to sign one of those one day contracts to officialy retire a Cowboy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
It was mentioned in the article I started this thread with, but I'm pretty sure Dallas will allow him to sign one of those one day contracts to officialy retire a Cowboy.

that's cool. not the same, though...

I know what you mean on retiring with the same team, I hate seeing guys hang on for a couple more years on other teams, like Smith on the Cardinals, Jordan on the Wizards, Namath on the Rams, Montana on the Chiefs, ect. The list just keeps going.

By the way, awesome Jordan sig Goldmember.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
I know what you mean on retiring with the same team, I hate seeing guys hang on for a couple more years on other teams, like Smith on the Cardinals, Jordan on the Wizards, Namath on the Rams, Montana on the Chiefs, ect. The list just keeps going.

By the way, awesome Jordan sig Goldmember.

I don't know about Namath, because that was a bit before my time, but the rest really didn't play all that bad on their new teams. Besides, everybody will remember Smith as a Cowboy, as they do Jordan to the Bulls, Namath to the Jets, Montana to the 9ers,