Lesbians on PBS cartoon

Steff

NEW YORK (AP) - Several PBS stations will air an episode of the children's show "Postcards From Buster" despite the network's decision not to distribute it nationwide because two lesbian couples were depicted in it.

So far, 21 stations have said they will air it and another six have indicated they probably will, Jeanne Hopkins, spokeswoman for Boston's WGBH-TV, said Tuesday. The station produced the series.

PBS said last week it would not distribute the episode to its 349 stations around the country. The show features an animated character, Buster, visiting farms in Vermont where maple sugar is produced, and includes two lesbian couples that work on the farms.

The decision came after newly appointed Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings complained about public money being used to promote alternative lifestyles. PBS gets funding for the series through the federal Ready-To-Learn program, aimed at helping young people learn through television.

"We do disagree with the (PBS) decision and were disappointed," Hopkins said. "We feel that the program, and the other 39 episodes in the series, met the goals set out for it, which is to teach children to understand and accept the rich cultural diversity of this country."

WGBH is among the stations that will air the episode. So will PBS stations in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, Hopkins said.

**** Stepping on my soapbox***

I have a couple problems with this. First of all, let me point out that I have not seen the show, so I'm speculating. My problem is on two levels. First, if the lesbians don't disclose their sexual orientation to the youngsters, or kiss or have sex in front of them, what's the big deal? They're too young to know or to care about what the two ladies do in their own spare time. Secondly, why make a big deal that they are lesbians, big enough to point it out in a cartoon? I understand the need for diversity and tolerance, but to the kids, they're just two cool ladies who own a cool farm.

Why point out the fact that they're in a relationship? If it's implied, it's one thing... cool. If they make it into a big deal (Let's tour Abby and Mavis' Gay-Friendly Farm!) then it's really so stupid.

IMO, you don't have to point out that LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow is black, so you don't have to point out that the ladies are lesbians. People are people, and these two cartoon chicks own an awesome farm and are willing to take these cartoon youngsters on a tour, and they also just happen to be lesbian. People need to grow up... :rolly

*** Stepping down***

**** Stepping on my soapbox***

I have a couple problems with this. First of all, let me point out that I have not seen the show, so I'm speculating. My problem is on two levels. First, if the lesbians don't disclose their sexual orientation to the youngsters, or kiss or have sex in front of them, what's the big deal? They're too young to know or to care about what the two ladies do in their own spare time. Secondly, why make a big deal that they are lesbians, big enough to point it out in a cartoon? I understand the need for diversity and tolerance, but to the kids, they're just two cool ladies who own a cool farm.

Why point out the fact that they're in a relationship? If it's implied, it's one thing... cool. If they make it into a big deal (Let's tour Abby and Mavis' Gay-Friendly Farm!) then it's really so stupid.

IMO, you don't have to point out that LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow is black, so you don't have to point out that the ladies are lesbians. People are people, and these two cartoon chicks own an awesome farm and are willing to take these cartoon youngsters on a tour, and they also just happen to be lesbian. People need to grow up...  :rolly

*** Stepping down***

The show, for the lack of a better word, is a spin-off of the extremely popular "Arthur" show. For those unfamiliar, the characters are all animals in human form. (their wear clothes, drive cars, etc...) Buster, Arthur's best friend, is a bunny who travels with his Dad from time to time (he is an airline pilot). An interesting fact is Buster's parents are divorced. Something they have talked about on the show. The "Postcards..." show deals with those travels.

On the "Arthur" program they have talked about divorce, different religions..etc.

Whether or not they will address the issue of them being lesbians, I don't know. But its not something this show has shyed away from in the past. I'm sure all they'll mention is that, if they have a child, a child with two mommies is still a family.

The "Arthur" show and this one helps children understand the different cultures and people that you could meet in this world. It's an excellent and smart program that speaks intelligently to its intended audience. Unlike other flashy shows with no substance.

My son is 6 years old. He loves both programs and I see the values I taught him and the values he receives from this show in his everyday life. Let me tell you...he is a big-hearted, exceptional child.

It is so easy to teach children to be ignorant, to be mean, to be violent and to hate...escpecially from TV. When a program teaches caring, good values, honesty it should be applauded, no matter who is teaching the lesson.

Children are lot more understanding than you may think. In my capacity in the Theatre, I have several friends who have alternative lifestyles. My son asked me once if a certain couple, 2 women, were married because they are always together and they live togther.

I said "Well Mikey, no they're not married, but they do live together."

"But they love each other?" They had professed to each other many times, he overheard. "Yes, they do"

"But Dad...Girls like Boys"

"Most do Mikey...but it's just nice to be with someone you love. Boy or girl"

"I love girls"

"Me too"

He hasn't mentioned it since...

And the last time I checked, he isn't damaged in any way.

That's one well thought out post, Ribbie! :cheers

Also sounds like you have a great kid there too. :cheers :cheers

My 7- and 5-year old also watch both Arthur and the Postcards spin-off, and I think they're both really positive, tolerance-teaching shows.

I can understand why the episode in question has come under fire, given the silent agenda of some to only teach tolerance of certain cultures, races, religions, or sexual orientations. But I wholly believe that the show and that particular episode are meeting the mandate for the government funding in question, namely introducing diversity issues to a 5-8 year old audience.

I think an important subtext in all of this is the WGBH factor. They are the Boston PBS affiliate that commissions the Postcard shows. Boston is also the town that is pissing off a lot of the straight and narrow crowd by recognizing gay unions. So, the new Education Secretary got to make a splash by attacking a perceived gay-friendly message sponsored by a gay-friendly PBS station out of gay-friendly Boston before she even officially took office. It was a definite shot across the bow to get the attention anybody else thinking of using federal education funding to produce similar programming that might "send the wrong message."

I think its a very good thing for them to open this up to young people as well as others. For the simple fact people have been hiding their heads in the sand on so many different subjects pretending these things don't really exist or you're some kind of freak if you do them. If they would teach instead of make people think its terrible maybe there would be a lot more acceptance in the world..not only about gays but cultural differences and racial as well....that's just me though.

I have a male cousin that is gay and for a long time lived with another man. When I was little I never thought anything of it. Especially at the age where I was watching cartoons. I didn't even know the words 'gay' or 'lesbian' existed much less know what they meant.

This is as bad as when they tried to say the purple tellytubby was gay because he carries a "purse" (they call it a bag on the show).

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
From what I've heard that this particular segment of the "Sugartime" epsiode does is show two women standing together in the kitchen, cooking.

They happened to be a married lesbian couple, but that subject never comes up.

"Showing two women cooking"!!!!

I don't know why they haven't leveled obsenity charges against this show!!!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
That's one well thought out post, Ribbie!  :cheers

Also sounds like you have a great kid there too. :cheers :cheers

My 7- and 5-year old also watch both Arthur and the Postcards spin-off, and I think they're both really positive, tolerance-teaching shows.

Thank you!

And congrats on your children, too. I'm sure they are fantastic, as w ell.

My son is very understanding and accepting on issues. Amazing for his age.

Actually the toughest time I've had explaining something to him was just recently when I had to inform him that Magglio would not be a White Sox next year. He has a Magglio jersey t-shirt and another t-shirt that says "Magglio is my favorite player!"

His reply "I still can like him, ok?"

"Sure, buddy...Hey, Paul Konerko is still on the team"

"Oh, Paul Konerko...He's good. I like him too. What about Frank Thomas?"

"Yes, the Big Hurt is still a White Sox"

"Yeah! Frank Thomas!...Um Dad?"

"Yes Mikey?"

"Can I like the Cubs too?"

"Go to your room!"

Actually everyting but the Cubs question is true, though.