Sound editing

Brian

Anyone know of a good sound mixing program for my computer? Something I can lay down a music and record voice and mix em together? I tried a few free ones off download.com but couldn't figure how to get voice and music to play together.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Anyone know of a good sound mixing program for my computer? Something I can lay down a music and record voice and mix em together? I tried a few free ones off download.com but couldn't figure how to get voice and music to play together.

Thanks.

Garage Band on the Mac side. Probably Bias Peak on the Dark Side.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Cool Edit offers a multi track mixing atmosphere. It's adequate, but it is relatively cheap.

Sony also has Cool Edit. Digidesign has a high end product called Pro-Tools. It is the premiere program on the market.

I just got the Cool Edit program, so how would I go about adding the lyrics of one song to a different beat of another song? :huh:

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to mix live voice down? Best way to do that is sing to the backbeat. Otherwise, if you're remixing prerecorded voice and prerecorded music, you gotta beat match. That's something best done with your ear.

Otherwise, use Acid. The program. Although the drug might help too. :)

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to mix live voice down? Best way to do that is sing to the backbeat. Otherwise, if you're remixing prerecorded voice and prerecorded music, you gotta beat match. That's something best done with your ear.

Otherwise, use Acid. The program. Although the drug might help too. :)

I'm just trying to combine to mp3's together, and I have on idea what I'm doing. :banghead

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Cool edit is a good tool to do mash ups, just not the best. You can layer and multitrack easily. But speaking as someone with a lot of digital editor experience, its all about your ear and how it fleshes out.

I just obtained a copy of Cool Edit. I know how to import music, but how do I start another layer to record voice on and than how do I mesh em?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm just trying to combine to mp3's together, and I have on idea what I'm doing.  :banghead

The problem you are going to run into there is that you don't have the independent tracks from the multitrack recording, just the commercial stereo mixdown. Pulling lyrics off of that is a difficult proposition at best unless the song was produced with the lyrics only on one channel.

You can also potentially use digital filters to isolate the frequency range most likely to contain vocals - kind of the revers of the Karaoke filters on some audio players.