Sweeney and Anderson

Mr. Showtime

Was thinking about this the other day, provided they are not traded, where are they going to play?

You have Rowand and Dye for atleast 3 years. I guess with Pods, if he has a good year you could deal him. However, he's the type of guy Kenny and Ozzie have been looking for.

I guess if they don't re-sign Konerko, one could play 1st base.

I understand that this has nothing to do with this season per se, just something I'm curious about..

I doubt the Sox consider them in the plans for the next 2 seasons.

By that time, Pods could be gone if he has not produced or if Anderson/Sweeney are tearing it up. Dye and Rowand will be on the last year, Everett and Thomas will probably be gone, meaning that Dye could move to DH.

Thus after 2 years there could be 2 starting OF spots, or 1 depending on Pods.

Sweeney is really young though, so they may have Anderson penciled in after 2, and Sweeney after 3.

SB

I think Anderson is the centerpiece to our midseason blockbuster trade, whoever that may be...

And Badger is totally correct on Sweeney. He's still really young (turns 20 on February 20th, per the article greasywheels posted), hopefully there will be no reason to rush him through the system.

Anderson will be up at the end of the year as a September call-up, provided he has another solid season.

I'd then expect him to get a shot at making the club next year. Possibly Dye would move to DH and Everett would be gone as well as Frank, who I don't think will be back.

Sweeney I'd say would not reach the majors until 2006 or 2007.

I don't see either one of these guys being used as bait for a midseason deal, but if either one was, Sweeney would be a better chip because of his age and raw ability.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Anderson will be up at the end of the year as a September call-up, provided he has another solid season.

I'd then expect him to get a shot at making the club next year.  Possibly Dye would move to DH and Everett would be gone as well as Frank, who I don't think will be back.

Sweeney I'd say would not reach the majors until 2006 or 2007.

I don't see either one of these guys being used as bait for a midseason deal, but if either one was, Sweeney would be a better chip because of his age and raw ability.

Alex-

Since you've seen these kids play in person, who would you rather be traded (hypothetical situation) if a pitch were to be made for someone like, Ben Sheet? Anderson or Sweeney?

From what I've heard, Sweeney has a higher ceiling, but then again -- that's from what I've heard, and obviously, I'd much rather make a decision if I've seen these kids. But you have seen both of them (is that correct?) -- so, who do you like more as a player, as far as his potential, ceiling, whatever? Anderson or Sweeney?

Keith,

You did not ask me but I'll respond if you don't mind, as I've seen both play.

I thought Anderson looked very good in CF, he reads routes well, his arm is strong and accurate and he's got very good speed. He is as thin as a rail though, a lanky guy, which may mean nothing or it may mean he needs to add strength.

At the plate, his swing is fairly compact and it appears he does a decent job of working the count. He got backed off the plate a couple of times I saw him and it didn't rattle him. He looked very solid to me.

Sweeney ... I can see why the scouts rave. His swing is compact and dangerous. Some have said he may have trouble getting around on good fastballs, I did not see that. I saw him work counts in very impressive fashion. Defensively, same as Anderson without as much speed. Very strong arm. Back to offense ... if he gets the pitch he's looking for or a mistake, he doesn't miss. He drives the ball.

Both have gap power right now but if I had to guess I would say Sweeney will ultimately have more pop. Every year is a big year for prospects but we will get a clearer indication of what we have in Sweeney this year. My opinion is, Anderson will be ready by late 2006 assuming he stays healthy. I see him as a very solid CF with the ability to play all three positions, and play them well. He knows the game and will contribute. Sweeney I can see being ready shortly thereafter, like start of 2007. Would not surprise me if he knocks on the door sooner. Sweeney is oozing talent, he has All Star potential, key word being potential. To reiterate I absolutely loved how he was able to work the counts last spring and finally drive the pitch he wanted. Very impressive.

Gun to head, I would take Sweeney but that is not a knock on Anderson at all. Their oufield play compared to Borchard is almost night and day. These guys are fast and fluid, Borchard stiff. I wish no ill will on Borchard but I see too many things that are wrong. But that's another matter.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Was thinking about this the other day, provided they are not traded, where are they going to play?

You have Rowand and Dye for atleast 3 years. I guess with Pods, if he has a good year you could deal him. However, he's the type of guy Kenny and Ozzie have been looking for.

I guess if they don't re-sign Konerko, one could play 1st base.

I understand that this has nothing to do with this season per se, just something I'm curious about..

They will play in the minors probably at least 2 more years.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
i just hope these guys arent anything like Crede because i really enjoy seeing guys from our minors succeed and these 2 seem like the most likely to contribute along with Fields.

Don't give up on Crede just yet.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Don't give up on Crede just yet.

I concur. If he has in fact shortened his swing there isn't too much doubt in my mind that he'll still turn into a better then average 3rd baseman.

I still believe Crede is a .275, 30, 100 guy in the future. Not saying he'll do it next year, but if he plays everyday I can easily see .270, 25, 80.

And as far as Anderson and Sweeney go, I'm going to pencil myself down with Keith because I think there is a decent shot Anderson gets dealt in a deadline type deal, especially if this team is playing its ass off and a top player goes out on the market.

We've seen Kenny be agressive with the Sox potentially out of it, if they are in it, no doubt in my mind if a stud player that could fill a need becomes available he will do whatever it takes to get him.

On a sidenote, I don't think there is any reason at this point to worry about where Anderson or Sweeney will play. Sweeney is still two years off at this point (he's still got two more minor league seasons, imo, unless he really explodes this year) and Anderson has at least one more and shouldn't even be thought of as anything but a potential september call up unless an injury occurs or he tears the absolute cover off the ball.

Like I've said for a while Anderson isn't as ready as whitesox.com would like you to believe he is. They've seemed to really tout him and I don't disagree that he has the tools, but he still has some flaws in his swing that definately need to be worked out before he has any long term sucess.

The Sox shouldn't do what they did with Borchard (which was rush him) because I do think it had a negative effect on him. That and for whatever reason Borchard's never been able to shorten his swing. I think Anderson could go a similar way but I think the odds are very good that he'll turn into the very least a productive major league player.

As far as Sweeney goes, his ceiling is being a guy like Garret Anderson and I think you'll see him develop similarly. There swings have some resemblance to me and I think you'll see Sweeney come up an average guy without much power, but as he matures and gets more experience he'll learn to pull more fastballs inside and his power numbers will increase.

They both could start the season down at Birmingham, Sweeney certainly should, but Anderson could be up with the Knights, but I'd prefer for him to have half a season down at AA, because there's no great need to rush him at this point.