3rd Graders e-mail project

Soxy

I got this e-mail a few days ago--it seems legit, my e-mail went through and everything. Usually I don't pass on mass e-mails, but this seemed like a cute thing for the little kids.

Dear friends,

We are the third grade students from East Buchanan Elementary in Winthrop,

Iowa. We are learning how e-mail works in our computer class. We are sending

a message to see how many people it will reach in our 30 day experiment. We

will end our email project on Friday, February 18th.&nbs! p; Could you help us

out? Share with us where you live and a neat place to visit from where you

live. Then pass this message on to as many people that you know. We are

excited to map all of the different places our E-mail will travel to. Thank

you for helping us out with our project.

You can email us at [email protected].

Your friends,

The third grade class of

East Buchanan Elementary

Winthrop, Iowa

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
How will they know how many people get their email?

I'm assuming they're just going to judge it by the number of e-mails they get back. I'm sure 3rd graders can't conceive of someonte not e-mailing them back...

Its not legit. There is no such thing as an email tracking program and emails such as these have been circulating for several years now. Somebody just changes the words or the story and recirculates it.

There is a web site that lists all of these, but I cannot recall the address off the top of my head.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Its not legit.  There is no such thing as an email tracking program and emails such as these have been circulating for several years now.  Somebody just changes the words or the story and recirculates it. 

There is a web site that lists all of these, but I cannot recall the address off the top of my head.

I don't think they mean that it is a tracking system that they're saying. It sounds to me like they're going to get e-mails back from people with where they're from and a fun thing to do there--and then plot all of this stuff on a map. Maybe I'm super naive, but I don't think it's like one of those Microsoft is tracking your e-mail things...

It does look like it's bonafide. The teacher (Mr Brown) has done this before previous projects. So, it looks like it's not a hoax.

I do think, though, that this would be an amazing way to get back at someone--or a mean prank. An old "friend" is an elementary school teacher, and man, that would be hilarious to send out one of these e-mails like they were from him. But mean. Very mean.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
It does look like it's bonafide. The teacher (Mr Brown) has done this before previous projects. So, it looks like it's not a hoax.

Just my personal opinion.... even if it is not, it is still crap that will fill up email inboxes needlessly and can just cause problems, as mentioned in the examples from the snopes.com link.

Sorry if I sound like a sour ass, but it seems to me they could find better things to do for 3rd graders than clutter email servers.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Just my personal opinion....  even if it is not, it is still crap that will fill up email inboxes needlessly and can just cause problems, as mentioned in the examples from the snopes.com link. 

Sorry if I sound like a sour ass, but it seems to me they could find better things to do for 3rd graders than clutter email servers.

Meh, if he's dumb enough to give out his e-mail to potentially thousands of people, he's got it coming. :) Plus, I bet the kids really like this project. Especially when they get e-mails from really exciting places...