ABC Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

Rex Hudler

Ty and the gang are here in the Birmingham area this week (Centerpoint technically) building a house for a couple that had sextuplets a couple of years ago. Their house was already too small for seven kids (they had one already) and then was damaged by Hurricane Ivan (or whatever the name of the one that passed through here) this fall. They did the demo today and will start building tomorrow.

I remember when the kids were born, but can't remember the whole story. But I do not think they couple knew six kids were coming. I have a friend that had twins and I know how hard it was for them to handle them. I cannot imagine what it would be like trying to raise six babies at one time.

Apparently the house will be one of the biggest they have built on the show. It should be interesting.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Just saw on the news, it will be a 5,000 square foot, two-story house.

What I want to know is how in the hell they will be able to afford the freakin utility bills and keep that big of a place clean?

thats cool that it is near you...and yea there are gunna be some pretty big bills with that place :o

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Just saw on the news, it will be a 5,000 square foot, two-story house.

What I want to know is how in the hell they will be able to afford the freakin utility bills and keep that big of a place clean?

Minor details Rex, either way that place should be pretty darn badass.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
From what I hear, all utility expenses are paid for by the guys who do the show.

I hadn't heard that, but think about this. If their house was rundown and drafty their bills were probably high already. Now, EMHD comes in and makes it totally efficient, a new more efficient furnace, water heater, etc and I'll bet there isn't that big of a difference in the two bills, before and after.

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
I hadn't heard that, but think about this. If their house was rundown and drafty their bills were probably high already. Now, EMHD comes in and makes it totally efficient, a new more efficient furnace, water heater, etc and I'll bet there isn't that big of a difference in the two bills, before and after.

Perhaps not. Especially since they will either make the home all electric or put in a piggyback system which uses gas only in extreme temperatures (below freezing down here lol), which cuts way down on gas usage. Still 5,000 sq. feet is a big assed house.

I wouldn't want to raise seven kids (six toddlers) and have to clean that baby! lol

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Perhaps not.  Especially since they will either make the home all electric or put in a piggyback system which uses gas only in extreme temperatures (below freezing down here lol), which cuts way down on gas usage.  Still 5,000 sq. feet is a big assed house. 

I wouldn't want to raise seven kids (six toddlers) and have to clean that baby!  lol

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking about it being Alabama. I know here (NW Indiana), my house is drafty as s*** and I keep it at 68 degrees. My buddy's house is twice the size, and he keeps it at 72 degrees. Our bills are very close to the same.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
By the way Rex.. did you see Ty..? He was just in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy.

I've seen him on the news, but the area where they are building is one I rarely ever get to. Plus they have the whole street blocked off, so you can only get in and out with a pass they issued to the neighbors.

When was his appendectomy? Can't be this week because I have seen him on the news at the site at 2 of the three days they have been here.

I have a friend that works for a closing attorney who does all the legal work for the builder that is doing the job. She was there yesterday and will be down there all weekend. I am trying to get her to get me in so I can check everything out.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
I've seen him on the news, but the area where they are building is one I rarely ever get to.  Plus they have the whole street blocked off, so you can only get in and out with a pass they issued to the neighbors.

When was his appendectomy?  Can't be this week because I have seen him on the news at the site at 2 of the three days they have been here.

I have a friend that works for a closing attorney who does all the legal work for the builder that is doing the job.  She was there yesterday and will be down there all weekend.  I am trying to get her to get me in so I can check everything out.

No.. not within a week. I think it was right after New Years. Wow.. I just realized that was a month ago. :huh:

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
EMHD is by far the best show on TV right now.

They can come and rebuild my POS house.

Right after they slap the FHA inspector that passed it when it never should have been. He was under investigation right after he inspected our house... :headshake