Made in Canada

Soxy

Patriotism over price.

Cost Trumps Patriotism in Flag Pin Flap

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The next time a Canadian official hands you a lapel pin bearing an image of the country's maple leaf flag, take a closer look. That symbol of patriotism was likely made in China.

Opposition legislator Charlie Angus attacked the Liberal government on Wednesday for ordering millions of "inferior quality" pins from a Chinese supplier rather than the Canadian factory that has been making them for 35 years.

"They are selling off our cultural heritage like a bunch of roadside hucksters selling off hubcaps and velvet Elvis paintings," Angus told Parliament.

Public Works Minister Scott Brison, whose department buys the pins, said the Chinese pins were cheaper. But this did not satisfy Angus, a member of the left-leaning New Democrats.

"We're outsourcing the fundamental symbol of what Canada is to a foreign country. I think that's a scandal," he told reporters. Canadian officials and members of Parliament traditionally hand out the pins as presents.

Transport Minister Jean Lapierre said that to demand maple leaf pins be made by Canadian suppliers was bad policy for a country so dependent on international trade.

"I think we need to follow our procurement rules rather than falling into an existential crisis on this subject," he told reporters.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Patriotism over price.

Cost Trumps Patriotism in Flag Pin Flap

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The next time a Canadian official hands you a lapel pin bearing an image of the country's maple leaf flag, take a closer look. That symbol of patriotism was likely made in China.

Opposition legislator Charlie Angus attacked the Liberal government on Wednesday for ordering millions of "inferior quality" pins from a Chinese supplier rather than the Canadian factory that has been making them for 35 years.

"They are selling off our cultural heritage like a bunch of roadside hucksters selling off hubcaps and velvet Elvis paintings," Angus told Parliament.

Public Works Minister Scott Brison, whose department buys the pins, said the Chinese pins were cheaper. But this did not satisfy Angus, a member of the left-leaning New Democrats.

"We're outsourcing the fundamental symbol of what Canada is to a foreign country. I think that's a scandal," he told reporters. Canadian officials and members of Parliament traditionally hand out the pins as presents.

Transport Minister Jean Lapierre said that to demand maple leaf pins be made by Canadian suppliers was bad policy for a country so dependent on international trade.

"I think we need to follow our procurement rules rather than falling into an existential crisis on this subject," he told reporters.

I love this line

I think that's a scandal

The Liberals of Canada are being accused of everything right now, this is the least of their worries.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I'd rather live in this country then any other country. That's why what some people think are major problems for the country, I think they're pretty minor. But I'm a political junkie too, for a 19 year old at least.

If I was wealthy I'd really love to live in the U.S. too, but I wouldn't otherwise. I'd hardly consider the unbelieveable borrowing, the Billions sunk into the offensive weaponization of space and the millions of people without health care minor problems but, since you do I'll let you be.

The problem here is that while the Canadian Govt. is probably urging its citizens to 'Buy Canadian', they them selves did not. Kind of a 'do as I say, not as I do' thing. I encounter this in my business, where the local government has many 'Buy in Bloomingdale' ads, promotions, etc., but I lost out on a $4000 print job to a company in Wisconsin, by $79. For a $79 savings, they sent work, and money OUT of Illinois, and out of Bloomingdale, and into Wisconsin. So much for supporting local businesses. That is what the one guy was trying to say. They COULD have purchased them from a local company, but to save a little scratch, they sent the job to China. The story didn't say what the cost savings was, but if it was only 5% or 10%, they purchasing guy should re-evaluate his purchase criteria.

QUOTE(Mathew @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I like Rush even though they suck, must be a Canadian thing, plus I gotta like out Hot Chick champion from Canada Ms. Cuthbert.

I wouldn't say Rush sucks - not everybody's cup of tea, perhaps.

Now Chilliwack on the other hand... they sucked.

The verdict is still out on Kim Mitchell, with a probable forecast of maybe 60% suck. :P

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
Now Chilliwack on the other hand... they sucked.

Chilliwack? Did they sing 'She Gone' or something like that? That one was a good song. Heard it on XM tonight on my way home. I couldn't tell you anything else they did, though.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Chilliwack?  Did they sing 'She Gone' or something like that?  That one was a good song.  Heard it on XM tonight on my way home.  I couldn't tell you anything else they did, though.

Actually they did "My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)," and "Watcha Gonna Do When I'm Gone," so take your pick. :)

For my monet, they were always a poor man's Big Star/Badfinger hybrid.

As for current Canadian groups, Big Sugar is the one I really get into.