Domestic rage captured on tape

Steff

So sad..

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/10801461.htm?1c

Posted on Wed, Feb. 02, 2005

Woman's frantic call to Norton police can't save fetus. Husband charged

By Elbert Starks III and Gina Mace

Beacon Journal writers

The police recording of a Sunday night stabbing in Norton paints a haunting picture of an enraged husband and escalating violence, as a police dispatcher attempts to send help while comforting the victim.

Lonnie McKenzie Jr., 24, of Lodi is charged with attempted murder and murder for allegedly stabbing his pregnant wife, Michelle, and killing the 8-week-old fetus at her father's residence.

Michelle McKenzie, listed Wednesday in serious condition in Akron General Medical Center's surgical intensive care unit, called police at 10:58 p.m. Sunday, reaching dispatcher Gary Rafferty.

The tape indicates Michelle McKenzie called initially to have a police cruiser sent to remove her husband from the home in the 4600 block of Albert Street.

Because it was not a 911 call, police did not automatically have the address. That proved critical once Michelle McKenzie began screaming on the tape after she had been stabbed; the dispatcher did not know where to send assistance.

A voice identified as Lonnie McKenzie can be heard on the tape saying, ``Whore,'' as the dispatcher pleads with Michelle McKenzie for the location, saying, ``What's the address, ma'am? What's the address?''

Lonnie McKenzie then speaks again, saying, ``Whore. You're (having sex with) my wife? Huh? Huh?''

Richard Hobbs II, 25, of Carl Street in Norton had dropped Michelle McKenzie off at the Albert Street residence. Hobbs was kicked and punched after attempting to intervene when he saw Lonnie McKenzie pull out an 8-inch kitchen knife, police said.

On the tape, an unknown male can be heard asking, ``Where's the phone? Where's the phone?'' before saying, ``Call the... cops. I can't find the phone. Where's the... phone? Where's the other phone at?''

Rafferty then says, ``It's Norton police, may I have the address please?'' before the line goes dead.

Michelle McKenzie called the police again at 11:01 p.m., this time requesting an ambulance and giving the address. Rafferty immediately sends two units to the scene while notifying a supervisor that he has a location.

Michelle McKenzie then tells the dispatcher she had been stabbed. Ronald Long, Michelle McKenzie's father, then gets on the line and says Lonnie McKenzie is outside fighting and had stabbed his daughter, telling the dispatcher at one point, ``She looks bad.''

Michelle McKenzie then asks to use the phone, saying she is ``hurting bad.'' The dispatcher asks her to keep the line open, and Michelle McKenzie asks, ``Am I going to be OK?''

The dispatcher tells her, ``We've got some very good people heading up your way. They'll be there shortly, OK? So just hang in there.''

The dispatcher asks Michelle McKenzie who stabbed her, and she replies, ``My husband.''

The dispatcher, seeking clarification, asks for the name, and Michelle McKenzie then says ``Lonnie McKenzie.''

Police officers arrived at 11:05 p.m., and Michelle McKenzie, after identifying herself to Rafferty, later said she was having trouble breathing.

Rafferty tells her, ``OK. Just calm down, just breathe really slow, ma'am. Breathe real slow. Just calm down. Just breathe real slow, ma'am.''

Paramedics arrived at 11:07 p.m., according to police.

Lonnie McKenzie appeared Wednesday in Barberton Municipal Court with an appointed attorney, Donald Malarcik. Judge Michael Weigand refused Malarcik's request to reduce a $250,000 cash bond and told McKenzie that his case will go to a Summit County grand jury.

The case is expected to be heard by the panel early next week.

Malarcik said Lonnie McKenzie is on suicide watch. He said McKenzie has a history of mental health problems and is despondent.

Malarcik said that if his client is indicted for the murder of the fetus, he plans to file a motion in Summit County Common Pleas Court ``to address the issue of the viability of the fetus and whether or not the facts in this case support a murder charge.''

The argument would be based on the definition of ``viable.'' A criminal statute states, ``viable means the stage of development of a human fetus at which there is a realistic possibility of maintaining and nourishing of a life outside the womb with or without temporary artificial life-sustaining support.''

``This is going to be a tough call,'' Malarcik said. ``Some judge is going to have to make a very tough decision.''

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
That is just sad. They are just lucky that it didn't turn out worse. He could of pulled an OJ and just killed everyone there.

I believe OJ was found not guilty.. thats all I have to say about that

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
I believe OJ was found not guilty.. thats all I have to say about that

I agree.

I also believe that OJ is spending every waking moment searching for the "real killers".

I believe that because that's what OJ SAID he was gonna do....

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
So sad..

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/10801461.htm?1c

Malarcik said Lonnie McKenzie is on suicide watch. He said McKenzie has a history of mental health problems and is despondent.

Why am I not surprised that his lawyer didn't wait too long to get that out there? :rolly