Just an Iraq Thread

KipWellsFan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
What's with the  :P ? Is this funny to you?

Yup I'm as cold as they come.

I found myself laughing that I called it a tally, I'm very desensitized and if you can't handle that then I'm sorry. I'd also like to add that if I didn't care about these people I wouldn't bother posting.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
I for one did believe there were WMD.

SS2K5 said it as it was too.  You all can thank France being behind that one.

Or the U.S.

Rumsfeld%20Hussein.jpg

How quickly we forget our own history of propping up the same dictator with weapons & removing him from the list of terrorist nations even though he harbored fugitive terrorists like Abu Nidal. If we're going to whine about the French making money on blood then it doesn't seem like the US government of neo-cons has much a higher moral ground on which they can stand to make such claims.

30 killed in attacks against Iraqi police

courtesy cbc.ca

Last Updated Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:37:26 EST

CBC News

MOSUL, IRAQ - At least 30 people were killed and dozens injured Monday in a series of bombings and mortar attacks against Iraqi police, officials say.

In the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, at least 12 policemen were killed and four others injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a hospital compound.

The bomber, who was standing outside the Jumhouri Teaching Hospital, had called the police officers over to him and then blew up in the midst of the crowd, witnesses said.

In a separate attack, at least 15 people were killed and 17 injured when a car bomb exploded outside the gates of a provincial police headquarters in the city of Baqouba, Col. Mudhahar al-Jubouri said.

Many of the victims were there to seek jobs as policemen.

Also Monday, insurgents shelled a police station in Mosul with more than a dozen mortar rounds, killing three civilians, a police official said.

The bombings come a day after insurgents apparently attacked a police station south of Baghdad. Police said 22 Iraqi security forces and 14 attackers were killed in the hour-long gunfight.

But the U.S. military in Iraq has denied the report, saying there wasn't any fighting in the district.

No word on whether yesterday's gunfight actually happened or not.

I doubted, but wasn't convinced, he was disarmed. When Bush said he had information he couldn't share, I believed him. I also believed Clinton when he said he hadn't had sexual relations with that woman. :angry:

I think the price for Iraqi democracy, both in US lives lost and US dollars spent, is too high and the benefits too low.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Yup, the same UN that reduced the malnutrition rate in Iraqi children by 50% and launched a national vaccination campaign with Oil for Food money.

Most of which was probably financed by the US in some way, shape, or form as it usually is with UN programs.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
Or the U.S.

Rumsfeld%20Hussein.jpg

How quickly we forget our own history of propping up the same dictator with weapons & removing him from the list of terrorist nations even though he harbored fugitive terrorists like Abu Nidal.  If we're going to whine about the French making money on blood then it doesn't seem like the US government of neo-cons has much a higher moral ground on which they can stand to make such claims.

How convienient for you to leave out the small matter that France and Russia sold Iraq weapons in violation of the U.N. imposed sanctions while when the U.S. was selling them arms there were no such restrictions.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
How convienient for you to leave out the small matter that France and Russia sold Iraq weapons in violation of the U.N. imposed sanctions while when the U.S. was selling them arms there were no such restrictions.

Amazing how business the world over all operate pretty much the same. If there is money to be made, the deals get done.

The US didn't need a UN resolution to go to war against Iraq, yet we keep mentioning this and that UN resolution that was violated. :headshake We really do talk out of both sides of our mouths in regards to Iraq.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Amazing how business the world over all operate pretty much the same. If there is money to be made, the deals get done.

The US didn't need a UN resolution to go to war against Iraq, yet we keep mentioning this and that UN resolution that was violated.  :headshake We really do talk out of both sides of our mouths in regards to Iraq.

The UN was compromised as a nuetral party when it got involved in the food for oil scandal. Especially when the countries leading the charge against the US, were the ones who had the most to lose financially from the war. The whole idea is for them to be an international body immune to the influences of politics, trying to aid the world as best they can. Instead they did their best immitation of the US Senate and stuck their hands out for money. The UN is worthless right now. The US does most of the peacekeeping and charity work in the world as is. If the UN is going to decide everything by the highest bidder, we might as well cut out the middle man and all of the waster that goes on at the UN anyway.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
We really do talk out of both sides of our mouths in regards to Iraq.

Thank you. That's exactly the point I'm saying in regards to this feigned outrage about France selling things to Iraq. The US government (the Reagan administration) did the exact same thing so there's no real higher moral ground for them to stand on to be pissed about.

And Nuke -- at the time the Iraq weapons sales began there was still the State Department listing of Iraq as a terrorist nation -- Reagan had it taken off so they could sell weapons. When the US wants to do something immoral, just get rid of the pesky law. It worked for Reagan and Delay is even using the same tactic now after 3 ethics violations [getting rid of the law that would make him have to step down as chairman of a committee if he's being indicted -- a GOP enacted provision from 1994]

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Thank you.  That's exactly the point I'm saying in regards to this feigned outrage about France selling things to Iraq.  The US government (the Reagan administration) did the exact same thing so there's no real higher moral ground for them to stand on to be pissed about.

And Nuke -- at the time the Iraq weapons sales began there was still the State Department listing of Iraq as a terrorist nation -- Reagan had it taken off so they could sell weapons.  When the US wants to do something immoral, just get rid of the pesky law.  It worked for Reagan and Delay is even using the same tactic now after 3 ethics violations [getting rid of the law that would make him have to step down as chairman of a committee if he's being indicted -- a GOP enacted provision from 1994]

Did the U.S violate U.N. sanctions to sell Iraq weapons? No.

Did the U.S. take bribes from Saddam Hussein for a "no" vote on military action? No

So yes we do have moral high ground over France and Russia.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Did the U.S violate U.N. sanctions to sell Iraq weapons?  No. 

Did the U.S. take bribes from Saddam Hussein for a "no" vote on military action?  No

So yes we do have moral high ground over France and Russia.

Uh, technically Halliburton did selling them pulse generators in 2000. But who needs to get that picky. ;)

And Nuke -- The US was well aware of the skimming from Oil for Food -- http://mediamatters.org/items/200412070005

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Actually abuses for Oil for Food were reported to the Security Council multiple times. The Security Council did nothing.

And it took the US to start pressing for investigations, and start procecuting people for this stuff. The UN has stonewalled it at every step.

Egpytians released, Italian reporter soon to be released

courtesy cbc.ca

Egyptian captives freed in Iraq

Last Updated Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:14:37 EST

CBC News

BAGHDAD, IRAQ - Four Egyptians were freed by their abductors on Monday and found at a checkpoint by U.S. troops, said an Egyptian diplomat.

The four technicians, who worked for an Iraqi mobile phone company, were kidnapped in Iraq on Sunday while on their way to work.

Some of the alleged abductors have been arrested, Farooq Mabrouk, head of the Egyptian mission told Associated Press.

Freedom could also be near for Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena, who was kidnapped on Friday at a mosque in Baghdad.

An internet statement posted by the Jihad Organization says Sgrena, 56, will be released in the next few days.

The internet message says the journalist for Italy's left-wing newspaper Il Manifesto is not a spy for "the infidels in Iraq."

The statement's authenticity could not be verified.

You act like the US did something about it when it was happening. I don't know if you understand this, but the US is actually a member of the UN. The US is the most powerful member of the UN, and as a permanent member of the Security Council, it can really undergo no action without the US' support. Yet there was no movement on behalf of the Bush administration to investigate and fix Oil for Food. Even after they were made aware of abuses in the system in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

To take a look at 6.5 billion dollars worth of fraud (approximately 7% of the total money raised by Oil For Food) and have that completely invalidate a multinational organization that this government stopped respecting in 2001, is like saying that the election in Iraq is invalidated because the Coalition Provisional Authority can't account for over 8 billion dollars in Oil money raised in its 14 months of existence.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
You act like the US did something about it when it was happening. I don't know if you understand this, but the US is actually a member of the UN. The US is the most powerful member of the UN, and as a permanent member of the Security Council, it can really undergo no action without the US' support. Yet there was no movement on behalf of the Bush administration to investigate and fix Oil for Food. Even after they were made aware of abuses in the system in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

To take a look at 6.5 billion dollars worth of fraud (approximately 7% of the total money raised by Oil For Food) and have that completely invalidate a multinational organization that this government stopped respecting in 2001, is like saying that the election in Iraq is invalidated because the Coalition Provisional Authority can't account for over 8 billion dollars in Oil money raised in its 14 months of existence.

Do you honestly believe that this is the only scandal like this going on? Do you honestly believe that all of these countries and UN officials all managed to get wrapped up in this just one bad thing going on at the UN? Come on.