Rumsfeld offered to resign twice

KipWellsFan

courtesy cbc.ca and spoken on Larry King Live

Last Updated Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:08:05 EST

CBC News

WASHINGTON - U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he twice submitted his resignation to President George W. Bush during last year's Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal.

"I felt that he ought to make the decision as to whether or not I stayed on," Rumsfeld said Thursday on CNN's Larry King Live. "He made that decision and said he did want me to stay on."

Rumsfeld said they he did not discuss whether he would remain in his post for the full four-year term.

The release of the photographs last year showing U.S. soldiers abusing prisoners sparked international outrage and calls for Rumsfeld to resign.

Although Bush publicly supported the defence secretary, administration officials let it be known the president had privately rebuked him.

Rumsfeld told a Senate hearing in May that he took full responsibility for the abuses that had occurred on his watch and that he would quit if he could not longer serve effectively.

He said he wouldn't resign to please his critics.

Rumsfeld told King that "a lot of corrections" were made after the Abu Ghraib scandal to make sure that "those kinds of things [that] happened either don't happen again or are immediately found out and limited and contained."

Meanwhile, at a news conference at the Pentagon on Thursday, Rumsfeld said he might skip an appearance at a security conference in Germany next week because of a lawsuit there accusing him of war crimes for the prisoner abuse.

"It's something that we have to take into consideration," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...feld040204.html

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
On that one I completely agree.

Rumsfeld is an incompetent boob. If not the torture scandal etc., then he should have been handed his ass after completely f***ing up the "post-Mission Accomplished" Iraq planning with Wolfowitz etc. At least Feith had the dignity to resign from his post after realizing he f***ed up so bad (saying he needed more personal and family time)

Norman Mineta even gets to keep his job after 9/11. Here I'm thinking that the head of the Department of Transportation might face some repercussions after planes (a form of transportation) was used as f***ing bombs but that's not been the case.