White Sox in the Movies

retro1983hat

What were all the movies that featured the Sox or Comiskey Park or the Cell?

Obviously everyone remembers Eight Men Out and Field of Dreams.

The others I can remember are:

My Best Friend's Wedding - I think Julia Roberts was a waitress in the SkyBox

Watch It - This is very, very funny, but unwatched movie - but one couple were seen kissing at the Cell while fireworks went off overhead.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
My Best Friend's Wedding - I think Julia Roberts was a waitress in the SkyBox

IIRC.. she was a guest at her "best friends" engagement party which was held on the terrace down the 3rd base line.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
IIRC.. she was a guest at her "best friends" engagement party which was held on the terrace down the 3rd base line.

Yup. My Sister has that Movie taped. I remember Hawk mentioning it cause they were doing a live game while they were filming at the game was on WGN

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Back in the 70's some filmakers gave my friends and I a big banner that said "drop dead LeFlore" and filmed us holding it in the center field bleachers at Comiskey before a game.  I assume they were making a movie about Ron Leflore, though I never saw it.

That was Ron LeFlore's Life story. I shows when Mickey Stanley got hurt and LeFlore took Over in Certer for Stanley. I remember that scene. I remember the fellow who plays Leflore looking up to the Banner

And from the website http://www.sandlotshrink.com/moviebb.htm

2. The Stratton Story (1949)... The story of White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton, whose leg was amputated at age 26 after a hunting accident was a box office smash starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson. Frank Morgan steals a few scenes as manager Barney Wiles. Stratton, who was an active advisor on the set, won 36 games in his brief career with a trick pitch he called the gander. Ex-players Jimmy Dykes, Bill Dickey, Spec Shea, Ted Lyons and active (at the time) players Luke Appling, Gene Beardon, Lou Novikoff and George Vico appear. Won an Oscar for best story. Filmed at L.A.'s Wrigley Field and Gilmore Park as well as scenes in Comiskey Park, Cleveland Stadium, Griffith Stadium and Tiger Stadium.

Found this interesting tidbit about Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

2. The Wrigley Field scene is shot on location there only because the Cubs were in town on the day of the shooting; otherwise it would have been shot at the old Comiskey Park because John Hughes is a White Sox fan.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Yup. My Sister has that Movie taped. I remember Hawk mentioning it cause they were doing a live game while they were filming at the game was on WGN

We were in my grama's seats that day (144 row 2) and everyone was looking up at the huge lights and boom mic's. We say Julia walking on the suite level when we were leaving the Stadium Club after the game was over.