OMG! The perfect prom dress!!!

Soxy

Linky

You call that a prom dress?!?

By James A. Fussell

Knight Ridder/Tribune news

Published February 4, 2005

Most prom dresses live in relative obscurity. Oh, sure, they have that one night of glory, swishing and showing off on the dance floor. But then back to the closet they go.

The exception is dress No. 376 by the prom dress company Xcite. Months before prom season, this skimpy little black number is not only ready for its close-up, it's getting it -- all over the country. Fox News did a feature on it. So did "The Today Show" and "Entertainment Tonight." Bloggers blather on about it. Discussion boards buzz with fascination.

Some say it's wholly inappropriate for many proms, but that hasn't stopped the dress from becoming one of the company's biggest sellers. Xcite has shipped out nearly 1,000 dresses, and that was before all the publicity.

And to think it's all because a runway model put it on incorrectly.

Company CEO Nick Yeh explains how it happened:

Last July, Xcite held a fashion show in Houston to preview its collection and take orders for the upcoming season. A model was supposed to cross the dress straps at her neck and have the material fan out across her chest. Instead she wore it with the straps coming straight off her shoulders, crossing at her waist. Since the material didn't need to stretch as much, the straps became narrow, and therefore, much more revealing. The mistake quickly turned into a boon. "When we counted up the orders it was the No. 2 selling dress out of 400 dresses in our collection," Yeh said.

And what can he say? He's a businessman. He started selling it like that.

Jenny Stalder, an 18-year-old senior at Bishop Miege High School in Shawnee Mission, Kan., said the dress looked like "a long skirt with suspenders."

"If I ever tried to sneak out of the house wearing something like that my dad would stand in front of the door," she said. "He'd take my car keys."

Yeh bristled at the criticisms.

"This dress is no more revealing than swimwear," he said. "And everybody's making such a big deal about it."

For good reason, Stalder said.

"If some girl was dancing in that she'd fall out of it," she said. "Then [school officials] would say, `I'm sorry, that's completely inappropriate.'"

You bet, said Shawnee Mission South Principal Joe Gilhaus.

"If a girl were to wear that particular dress to our prom, we would ask her to find something that would make the dress more appropriate and not so revealing," he said. A sweater or shawl, perhaps.

It doesn't even have to be a slutty dress though..if ya went with me...you could have been wearing a ski suit...it still would have been on the floor later that night. Some guys got it, some guys don't... :P

:! Fathers beware of the kid that exudes confidence for he shall be the one that takes your daughters fruit.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
:!  Fathers beware of the kid that exudes confidence for he shall be the one that takes your daughters fruit.

Mothers beware the girl that wears this dress--for she shall taketh your son's seed.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
ROFL @ that pic.

Funny thing is my school had to make a rule of no sexual dances and you have to be at least 6 inches apart because panties and condoms were found on dance floors at my school...

That could cause some major slip-and-falls...

Lawyer: Did you see the item you slipped on?

Injured: A condom.

Lawyer: Did you see anyone else slip?

Injured: My date stepped on a condom, too, but it was ribbed, so it had traction.