2006 free agents

kwill

I was wondering if anyone else read that article on espn.com about the 2006 free agents. We obviously have some of our own like Frank( we wont pick up his option) and Paul. I imagine Paul we will resign for somewhere 9 million dollar per season, but i really dont think we would resign Frank. We would probably have about 10 million to spend next offseason. I was wondering what guys do you think we should be intrested in. One guy i think we could go after is Aramis Rameriez if Crede doent produce this year.

Here is a list of guys that are 2006 free agents:

Mike Piazza

Sammy Sosa

Bernie Williams

Nomar Garciaparra

Rafeal Furcal

Jonny Damon

Tim Hudson

Billy Wagner

Lance Berkman

Carlos Lee

Brian Giles

Aramis Rameriez

Bret Boone

That is just to name a few. I can see us going after a closer since shingo contract is up also. I dont believe we would even try for any outfielder. Hudson is going to get a truck load of money.What do you guys think?

QUOTE(kwill @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
I was wondering if anyone else read that article on espn.com about the 2006 free agents. We obviously have some of our own like Frank( we wont pick up his option) and Paul. I imagine Paul we will resign for somewhere 9 million dollar per season, but i really dont think we would resign Frank. We would probably have about 10 million to spend next offseason. I was wondering what guys do you think we should be intrested in. One guy i think we could go after is Aramis Rameriez if Crede doent produce this year.

Mike Piazza

Sammy Sosa

Bernie Williams

Nomar Garciaparra

Rafeal Furcal

Jonny Damon

Tim Hudson

Billy Wagner

Lance Berkman

Carlos Lee

Brian Giles

Aramis Rameriez

Bret Boone

That is just to name a few. I can see us going after a closer since shingo contract is up also. I dont believe we would even try for any outfielder. Hudson is going to get a truck load of money.What do you guys think?

No need for Ramirez since we got Fields for the future

Out of that list I think Furcal would be the best addition.. we could dump Crede (if he doesnt work out) put Uribe at 3B Furcal at SS and Harris/Iguchi at 2nd

that would give us even MORE speed..

QUOTE(kwill @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)

Mike Piazza

Sammy Sosa

Bernie Williams

Nomar Garciaparra

Rafeal Furcal

Jonny Damon

Tim Hudson

Billy Wagner

Lance Berkman

Carlos Lee

Brian Giles

Aramis Rameriez

Bret Boone

The Brewers have an option with Lee which they'll use.

I thought there was a 1 yr extension with the Sosa trade?

Just a prediction but, Ramierez, Berkman, and Hudson will never see FA.

You take those 5 out and it's not that great of a list(Boone, Wagner, Williams, and Piazza are all much closer to retirement than prime).

As to the Sox contribution to the FA list:

Perez, Everett

Thomas, Konerko,Davis

Shingo, Marte, and Politte

There's a remote possibility that Konerko could be resigned but if it hasn't happened by April then it probably won't, the rest, only on the super cheap.

Also, IMO I doubt Willie will even be on the team by the end of ST and Garland, Vizcaino, and AJ will be in walk yrs next yr so all 3 will be on the block or even non-tendered.

That's half the team that could be gone by the winter meetings in December and with that much turnover Hermanson, Hernandez, and Iguchi all in final yrs of their contracts could also be on the block, though it's doubtful they'd bring anything in return.

The point here is that if you liked all the turnover this winter just wait, as many as 15 players and $43 mil in payroll could be turned over by this time next yr. Doesn't that sound like fun.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
The point here is that if you liked all the turnover this winter just wait, as many as 15 players and $43 mil in payroll could be turned over by this time next yr. Doesn't that sound like fun.

No, it doesn't sound like fun.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
lol....no, it wouldn't.  But what would be fun, is if we all of a sudden added the 43 million from nowhere... :lolhitting

God, that would be great getting every free agent you want, really making a splash in the free agent market yet that is but a dream.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Free agent list. I definitely think it is better than this past year.

http://www.mlb4u.com/0506FA.html

I've been looking for a list to see which players might be available come the trade deadline. Thanks. But this group better than 2004?! Even as it stands, with guys who will probably will be signed before they become Free agents [hudson, sheets, berkman, PK] 2005 looks weaker compared to this yr. The crop of pitchers compared with 2004 may only be a draw, as the SP's in particular were deep. The position players for 2005 are very, very weak though.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
I've been looking for a list to see which players might be available come the trade deadline. Thanks. But this group better than 2004?! Even as it stands, with guys who will probably will be signed before they become Free agents [hudson, sheets, berkman, PK] 2005 looks weaker compared to this yr. The crop of pitchers compared with 2004 may only be a draw, as the SP's in particular were deep. The position players for 2005 are very, very weak though.

You are right. When i was originally looking at the list i saw a whole bunch of guys with option year, guardado, looper, izzy, walker, kotsay, etc and was thinking for some reason that they were all free agents. Which they are not. Relievers are much, much deeper next off-season that this past. That is why if we lose takatsu ( don't think we will) i will not be that hurt because of all the good help out there.

As long as he has a good year in 05, Thomas will be back. Either under the terms of his current contract or a new one. Thomas & JR are friends. That's very unique in this day & age of major league sports. I think both envision Thomas being one of a dying breed of players that only played for one team in their career. That will certainly help his HOF chances & continue to boost Thomas market value for the team.

It's pretty simple when it comes to Thomas really.

If he has a sub-par year, he'll return to the Sox under a new contract.

If he has an MVP like year, he'll return to the Sox under his existing contract.

If he has something in between they'll probably re-negotiate a contract extension.

He's not going any where. The only exception is trade value. The Sox will be willing to trade Thomas in any year if they think the player they can get can help them win a WS more than Thomas. But he won't be traded just to improve the team for future years.

1B/DH:

The name that pops out is Sweeney. I'm going to assume that's Mike. In keeping with the whole speed & D approach this is the next logical move.

Maybe for both teams.

He's an aggressively smart baserunner who reads pitcher's moves well.

He has above average speed & with decent range & mobility. Few players bring as much emotion to the park as Sweeney.

As a hitter Sweeney's situation is similar to Gonzo's but less severe. When his back his healthy he is capable of producing 120-130 RBI on a team like the Sox. At the very least a healthy Sweeney can produce 100R, 100RBI.

Koney's min price realistically is 27/3. We can all fool ourselves it's not, but if he puts up 30+HR, 100+RBI that's the lowest Sox offer he's likely to except.

Sweeney should cost considerably less than that. Probably a base of 21/3

w incentives up to a 27/3. The Sox should take the risk. They have other options for 1B if Sweeney should go down. But if he's healthy he should be able to make up for Koney in the RBI dept & add more to the R dept. He's a natural born team leader type.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
1B/DH:

The name that pops out is Sweeney.  I'm going to assume that's Mike.  In keeping with the whole speed & D approach this is the next logical move. 

Maybe for both teams. 

He's an aggressively smart baserunner who reads pitcher's moves well.

He has above average speed & with decent range & mobility.  Few players bring as much emotion to the park as Sweeney. 

As a hitter Sweeney's situation is similar to Gonzo's but less severe.  When his back his healthy he is capable of producing 120-130 RBI on a team like the Sox.  At the very least a healthy Sweeney can produce 100R, 100RBI.

Koney's min price realistically is 27/3.  We can all fool ourselves it's not, but if he puts up 30+HR, 100+RBI that's the lowest Sox offer he's likely to except.

Sweeney should cost considerably less than that.  Probably a base of 21/3

w incentives up to a 27/3.  The Sox should take the risk.  They have other options for 1B if Sweeney should go down.  But if he's healthy he should be able to make up for Koney in the RBI dept & add more to the R dept.  He's a natural born team leader type.

90% sure it's Mark.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Furcal...drools.

90% sure Furcal is arbitration eligible, the Braves won't let him go.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
As long as he has a good year in 05, Thomas will be back.  Either under the terms of his current contract or a new one.  Thomas & JR are friends.  That's very unique in this day & age of major league sports.  I think both envision Thomas being one of a dying breed of players that only played for one team in their career.  That will certainly help his HOF chances & continue to boost Thomas market value for the team.

It's pretty simple when it comes to Thomas really.

If he has a sub-par year, he'll return to the Sox under a new contract.

If he has an MVP like year, he'll return to the Sox under his existing contract.

If he has something in between they'll probably re-negotiate a contract extension.

He's not going any where.  The only exception is trade value.  The Sox will be willing to trade Thomas in any year if they think the player they can get can help them win a WS more than Thomas.  But he won't be traded just to improve the team for future years.

Frank will cost the Sox $12 mil to bring him back next yr, he's gone so enjoy what's left of his Sox career this yr.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
Furcal = overrated.. nothing like the great Uribe  :rolly

So Furcal with a .279/.344/.414 with 29 SB's and is 4 years younger is overrated but Cabrera who signed a $32 million 4 year deal with .264/.306/.383 and 4 SB's isn't? Explain how that works to me.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
So Furcal with a .279/.344/.414 with 29 SB's and is 4 years younger is overrated but Cabrera who signed a $32 million 4 year deal with .264/.306/.383 and 4 SB's isn't? Explain how that works to me.

Think his green is malfunctioning.

Either that, or he's just an idiot.

Yes, because the expos had a ton of talent around him.. much like Furcal has :rolly

OC is going to put up Monster numbers this year.. well for a SS.

Face it people any FA with upside is not coming here..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
and if they cost more than a bag of peanuts.

Nah, we've ponied up in the past year. We signed Freddy Garcia after trading for him, we signed Buehrle to a multi-year deal (3 years I think it was?), and we locked up Rowand for 3 years (again, I think that was it).

Are these mega-names like Carlos Beltran? No, obviously not. I don't see the Sox being big contenders in those ridiculous bidding wars, even if we put together a couple of winning seasons. But, maybe..just maybe..we can build the type of clubhouse and reputation that a top-notch guy might take a little less than the Yankees or Red Sox are offering just to be in a good environment on a team with a promising future. Not all free agents are interested in going to play in NY - they only do it because they want to win.

Obviously our Sox have a lot of work to do to make that happen, but they've got to start somewhere, and I think the remodeling that they've done over the past 7 months or so has been extremely encouraging.