2006 free agents

kwill

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Frank will cost the Sox $12 mil to bring him back next yr, he's gone so enjoy what's left of his Sox career this yr.

Frank is coming back, just because he has an option for next year at $12 mil doesn't mean he can't sign another contract at a lesser value.

Frank will cost the Sox $12 mil to bring him back next yr, he's gone so enjoy what's left of his Sox career this yr.

That's something who is ignorant of Frank's contract history with the Sox would say.

As long as Frank can get reasonable dollars to play for the Sox both him & JR will work something out. He had a better offer from the O's last time but it wasn't enough to pull him away from the Sox.

You need to understand why.

1) Frank is no longer playing just for $. He is playing for the HOF & the 500 HR mark.

His best chance of putting those numbers up in the AL is to remain with the Sox.

2) JR & Frank are friends beyond baseball. JR respects Frank. That's why he (NOT KW) worked a deal with Frank last time that does not require him to be a part of Soxfest.

3) Frank pulls in the fans. The fan surveys prove that many fans come out to see the Sox to see Frank Thomas.

4) Frank will not cost the Sox 12M. The player option is for 10M. Frank will take that.

The only way Frank will cost the Sox 12M is if he finishes in the top 5 in MVP voting. If he does that it's hard to argue that he isn't worth 12M.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
You are right. When i was originally looking at the list i saw a whole bunch of guys with option year, guardado, looper, izzy, walker, kotsay, etc and was thinking for some reason that they were all free agents. Which they are not. Relievers are much, much deeper next off-season that this past. That is why if we lose takatsu ( don't think we will) i will not be that hurt because of all the good help out there.

Relievers was the one area that was better. Though the sox bullpen is set for the next two yrs, with Cotts, Dustin, Marte locked in, and could bring back one or both of Politte and Vizcaino. Hopefully Shingo has a similar 2005 and the Sox will bring him back.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
Yes, because the expos had a ton of talent around him.. much like Furcal has  :rolly

OC is going to put up Monster numbers this year.. well for a SS.

Face it people any FA with upside is not coming here..

Need I say that last season was a down year for Furcal as well.

And the Expos did have Tony Batista, Brad Wilkerson, Jose Vidro and Juan Rivera in their lineup just to name a few. And he hit only .249 against righties with a .645 OPS.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Need I say that last season was a down year for Furcal as well.

And the Expos did have Tony Batista, Brad Wilkerson, Jose Vidro and Juan Rivera in their lineup just to name a few. And he hit only .249 against righties with a .645 OPS.

Yes, caberera sucks but let's talk about it again.

Furcal's 162 game average's are as follows. 643 at-bats, 111 runs, 183 hits, 32 doubles, 7 triples, 11 homeruns, 57 rbi, 63 walks, 97 strike outs, 35 stolen bases, 11 cs, .283 average, .347 obp, .404 slg, and .751 ops.

Cabrera's 162 game average's are as follows 592 at-bats, 74 runs, 159 hits, 39 doubles, 4 triples, 12 homeruns, 69 rbi, 41 walks, 54 strike outs, 16 stolen bases, 5 cs, .268 avg, .316 obp, ( ew) .409 slg, and .725 ops.

2005 salaries.

Furcal- 5.6 million. Cabrera- 6 million. Furcal is also 26 and cabera is already thirty. So there is a good chance furcal still may improve. If it came down to who holds their liquor better i may go with cabrera though.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
Yes, caberera sucks but let's talk about it again.

Furcal's 162 game average's are as follows. 643 at-bats, 111 runs, 183 hits, 32 doubles, 7 triples, 11 homeruns, 57 rbi, 63 walks, 97 strike outs, 35 stolen bases, 11 cs, .283 average, .347 obp, .404 slg, and .751 ops.

Cabrera's 162 game average's are as follows 592 at-bats, 74 runs, 159 hits, 39 doubles,  4 triples, 12 homeruns, 69 rbi, 41 walks, 54 strike outs, 16 stolen bases, 5 cs, .268 avg, .316 obp, ( ew) .409 slg, and  .725 ops.

2005 salaries.

Furcal- 5.6 million. Cabrera- 6 million. Furcal is also 26 and cabera is already thirty. So there is a good chance furcal still may improve. If it came down to who holds their liquor better i may go with cabrera though.

That is the best post I've ever seen you type Aj. Nicely done.