Newsday: Ordonez To Sign 5 Yr/75 Mil Contract

Guest Tadahito Iguchi 15

Guest Tadahito Iguchi 15
New York Newsday's Ken Davidoff and John Heyman have learned that the Tigers are on the verge of signing free agent All-Star Magglio Ordonez to a multi-year contract.

Ordoñez, a three-time All-Star and the last big-name free agent of this baseball offseason, is on the verge of joining the Tigers for a deal estimated to be for five years and $75 million, Newsday has learned. Similar to the contract to which the Tigers signed catcher Ivan Rodriguez last offseason, it is voidable if Ordoñez misses a number of games with the meniscus tear in his left knee that torpedoed his 2004 season.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All they're doing is bidding against themselves, the best offer he would get anywhere else would be a 1 or 2 year contract and under $10mil per. I don't know why the f*** they'd go up to $15mil per. Magglio has never even led the league in any major category, he's not worth the money.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
I personally hate the guy, but you have to admit, Scott Bora$$ gets the job done.

Hell ya he does, no other agent could get anything anywhere near $75mil. Most agents would have settled for a 1 or 2 year contract with incentives.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Did anyone hear how the workout for the Tigers went this week?  I would say that they must feel he looks good...  or they are just feeling the need to add a player to their team.

Honestly, I think it's the latter. Detroit built their fans up so high for this offseason making it look like they were going to land a couple of stars and they have just signed Percival.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Did anyone hear how the workout for the Tigers went this week?  I would say that they must feel he looks good...  or they are just feeling the need to add a player to their team.

Didn't hear how it went, all I heard was after hearing what Boras wanted Cubs and Mets didn't even try to schedule or attend a workout

Enjoy third place Maggs.

Seriously though I have a feeling he is going to spend more time at DH then in the field so this is a good move for him personally. I do agree they overpaid considering no one else would even come near him with anything more then a 2 year deal. Also nice to see they were smart enough to put an escape clause in for when Maggs is found out to be the fraud he is.