Newsday: Ordonez To Sign 5 Yr/75 Mil Contract

Guest Tadahito Iguchi 15

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
Vlad -- career .325/.390/.589 -- 147 career OPS+ -- 5yr/70M

Maggs -- career .307/.364/.525 -- 127 career OPS+ -- 5yr/75M

:lolhitting

Great post. If you also take into account other parts of their game - fielding, throwing arm, base running etc it's not even close as to who should be earning more, and that's not even taking health issues into consideration.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
If Guerrero were a free agent this year, he would have got a lot more money then he did last. If the Detroit Tigers are willing to pay Magglio $15 million a year, he is worth $15 million. I think I read in Forbes that the Tigers franchise is worth more than the White Sox. The Detroit owner has to pay more to get players to come to Detroit. He is doing precisely what many on this board criticize Reinsdorf for not doing, and he is being called a jackass. Many thought the contract he gave Ivan Rodriquez was crazy. Its seems like a good deal so far. Maybe this one will to. I do know if Magglio is healthy, Detroit just picked up a player who is better than anyone currently on the White Sox roster. Considering all the problems the White Sox have had with Detroit the past few seasons, that presents some trouble for this upcoming season.

True. Magglio is worth whatever the Tigers are willing to pay him.

And sitting here as a Sox fan, I'm damn glad that three years down the road, they'll be hamstrung by yet another ridiculous OF contract (Higginson, anyone?), preventing them from signing much better FA's...

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Great post. If you also take into account other parts of their game - fielding, throwing arm, base running etc it's not even close as to who should be earning more, and that's not even taking health issues into consideration.

The one thing I will say is that Maggs when healthy is a better defensive right fielder then Vlad, Vlad is an overrated rated outfielder.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
The one thing I will say is that Maggs when healthy is a better defensive right fielder then Vlad, Vlad is an overrated rated outfielder.

I can't say I agree with that. I always thought Maggs was the overrated one - A just above average fielder at best. imo.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
I can't say I agree with that. I always thought Maggs was the overrated one - A just above average fielder at best. imo.

I agree that Maggs is just above average fielding out there but Vlad is just plain bad in right field, his arm overshadows his fielding ability and that's why you here so many people calling him a good fielder imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
I agree that Maggs is just above average fielding out there but Vlad is just plain bad in right field, his arm overshadows his fielding ability and that's why you here so many people calling him a good fielder imo.

I wouldnt go so far as saying he is bad in RF. He is definitely nowhere close to as good as most people think though. He has a frickin cannon but he made 9 errors last year.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
I wouldnt go so far as saying he is bad in RF.  He is definitely nowhere close to as good as most people think though.  He has a frickin cannon but he made 9 errors last year.

I'll go as far as saying he's bad :P He gets some of the worst reads on the ball I've seen for a right fielder.

Beltre has had exactly one season over .265 avg., over 80 rbi, .426 slugging, and over 23 HRs.

Beltre signed for 5 years $64 million.

Tell me Maggs is worth less than Beltre. GMAB. Maggs averaged for 6 seasons over Beltre's one career year. With protections in place in case the Doctors here are right and he loses major time, something over $64 million is within the insanity that is baseball salaries.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
Beltre has had exactly one season over .265 avg., over 80 rbi, .426 slugging, and over 23 HRs.

Tell me Maggs is worth less than Beltre. GMAB. Maggs averaged for 6 seasons over Beltre's one career year.  With protections in place in case the Doctors here are right and he loses major time, something over $64 million is within the insanity that is baseball salaries.

Beltre was paid soley on this year and his career year blew out of the water what maggs has ever done. I loved maggs when he was here also but you're sorely overrating his value.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
Beltre was paid soley on this year and his career year blew out of the water what maggs has ever done.  I loved maggs when he was here also but you're sorely overrating his value.

One guy has 5 years of .300/30/100 vs. a guy with one great season. Baseball salries are insane to begin with, but Maggs earning more than a guy with one great season behind him makes sense. If Maggs hadn't been injured, he would have been closer to 6/90

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)

Tell me Maggs is worth less than Beltre. GMAB. Maggs averaged for 6 seasons over Beltre's one career year.  With protections in place in case the Doctors here are right and he loses major time, something over $64 million is within the insanity that is baseball salaries.

Beltre's a $10 mill player, tops

Maggs is $15 when producing at his 02 level.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)

No one's defending the Beltre contract.

Both are overpayment by two franchises that won't sniff the playoffs this year.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)

Reasons for that would be Beltre plays in a position where it's much harder to find good players (Scott Rolen, Alex Rodriguez) in third base, than it is with Maggs in right field. Plus Beltre is 4 years younger, and Seattle took a calculated risk that they thought that he could be just coming into his prime. With Maggs it's the opposite, I think he should end up with a contract like J.D Drew got though.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
I wouldnt go so far as saying he is bad in RF.  He is definitely nowhere close to as good as most people think though.  He has a frickin cannon but he made 9 errors last year.

By that logic rowand is a bad fielder since he had eight errors right?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
And Carlos Lee was the best because he had zero errors last season.

FWIW, Lee was in the top half of the AL in both ZR and RF. He wasn't a gold glover, nor will he ever be a gold glover, but he wasn't as bad a fielder as many called him...