Newsday: Ordonez To Sign 5 Yr/75 Mil Contract

Guest Tadahito Iguchi 15

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A contract between Beltre and Beltran is about right. How many other guys put up that many seasons over .300, 100 rbi, 30 hr? If he returns and puts up those numbers, they received a bargain. If he cannot play, they are protected.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
A contract between Beltre and Beltran is about right.  How many other guys put up that many seasons over .300, 100 rbi, 30 hr? If he returns and puts up those numbers, they received a bargain. If he cannot play, they are protected.

Even if he does put up those numbers, it is no bargain.

He can't be as speedy as he once was. And wasn't ever the most clutch player the Sox had. He popped out just as many times as Lee with runners on trying to hit the home run.

He is a substantially better player than Lee, though. Lee's and 8 million dollar player. Maggs, 10.

Maggs at 15 million is not a bargain at all. Five tool players are worth 15 million. Maggs is not a five tool player.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Even if he does put up those numbers, it is no bargain.

He can't be as speedy as he once was. And wasn't ever the most clutch player the Sox had. He popped out just as many times as Lee with runners on trying to hit the home run.

He is a substantially better player than Lee, though. Lee's and 8 million dollar player. Maggs, 10.

Maggs at 15 million is not a bargain at all. Five tool players are worth 15 million. Maggs is not a five tool player.

My sentiments exactly, he wasn't even worth what the Sox offered him.

Detroit just got fleeced, big time.

Someone make a list of all the guys who've hit 30 homers playing at Comerica Park.

There can't be many.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
IMO, no one is worth 15 million.

I'd say that there are some guys, but a select few...

Salaries increase every season. 15 in 2009 is far different than 15 in 2005. Career .300 hitters with some pop in the bat make a lot of money.

Magglio will never be a bargain at 15 million, even if he returns to his old self.

He's had one *exceptional* season, that being 2002. He put up some really good numbers, but not numbers of a guy who's going to make 15 million a season. Never put up a .1000+ OPS, either.

So wait -- he's going from a hitters park to a pitchers park, he'll be making 15 million till he's 35 -- he's never had a .1000+ OPS, yet he's a bargain at 15 million?

Who are you kidding?

Even if Magglio had no question marks going into next season, I still wouldn't give him 15 million. He doesn't deserve it. When he puts up Vlad numbers, year in, year out, then he deserves it. Until then...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
A contract between Beltre and Beltran is about right.  How many other guys put up that many seasons over .300, 100 rbi, 30 hr? If he returns and puts up those numbers, they received a bargain. If he cannot play, they are protected.

That type of logic goes completely against the thought process' of the "Little Reinsy's" on this board.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
That type of logic goes completely against the thought process' of the "Little Reinsy's" on this board.

Jeez, give me a break. The sox offer to maggs was actually overly generous in my mind to begin with. Maggs is a very good player but he's not elite, he's not worth 15 million dollars, not even close imo. Payroll keeps going up and up killa, it's not perfect but it's not horrible either.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
My sentiments exactly, he wasn't even worth what the Sox offered him.

Detroit just got fleeced, big time.

Someone make a list of all the guys who've hit 30 homers playing at Comerica Park.

There can't be many.

I don't think there is any, but the Tigers haven't really had anyone who you would expect to hit 30 even if they were playing in USCF, maybe with the exception of Juan Gonzalez. I'm pretty sure his back was acting up during his only season in Detroit, and they have moved the fences in significantly since then. Magglio got $75 million, Nomar got $8 million. If you were a player, who would you want negotiating your contract?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
I don't think there is any, but the Tigers haven't really had anyone who you would expect to hit 30 even if they were playing in USCF, maybe with the exception of Juan Gonzalez. I'm pretty sure his back was acting up during his only season in Detroit, and they have moved the fences in significantly since then. Magglio got $75 million, Nomar got $8 million. If you were a player, who would you want negotiating your contract?

I predict that Maggs doesn't hit 30+ homers once in the next five years with Detroit.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)

Yep!

Just throw money around everywhere, to anyone that asks for it!

After all, the Mets have been so successful with that logic, correct?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
I'd say that there are some guys, but a select few...

Magglio will never be a bargain at 15 million, even if he returns to his old self.

He's had one *exceptional* season, that being 2002.  He put up some really good numbers, but not numbers of a guy who's going to make 15 million a season.  Never put up a .1000+ OPS, either.

So wait -- he's going from a hitters park to a pitchers park, he'll be making 15 million till he's 35 -- he's never had a .1000+ OPS, yet he's a bargain at 15 million?

Who are you kidding? 

Even if Magglio had no question marks going into next season, I still wouldn't give him 15 million.  He doesn't deserve it. When he puts up Vlad numbers, year in, year out, then he deserves it.  Until then...

If Guerrero were a free agent this year, he would have got a lot more money then he did last. If the Detroit Tigers are willing to pay Magglio $15 million a year, he is worth $15 million. I think I read in Forbes that the Tigers franchise is worth more than the White Sox. The Detroit owner has to pay more to get players to come to Detroit. He is doing precisely what many on this board criticize Reinsdorf for not doing, and he is being called a jackass. Many thought the contract he gave Ivan Rodriquez was crazy. Its seems like a good deal so far. Maybe this one will to. I do know if Magglio is healthy, Detroit just picked up a player who is better than anyone currently on the White Sox roster. Considering all the problems the White Sox have had with Detroit the past few seasons, that presents some trouble for this upcoming season.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Salaries increase every season. 15 in 2009 is far different than 15 in 2005. Career .300 hitters with some pop in the bat make a lot of money.

Agreed. Which is why I snicker somewhat when I hear people complaining "Babe Ruth never made that kind of money" or something to that effect.