This isnt going to be fair

MurcieOne

It's not enough that Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson are 1-2-3 in the AL in wins since Zito's debut on July 20, 2000, or Ted Lilly's offseason regimen has him throwing far better than he did last season. But out there on the horizon is 20-year-old Rich Harden. The A's sent Harden, a right-hander, back to Double-A Midland despite a 2002 season in which he fanned 187 batters in 153 innings at Class A Visalia and Midland.

In his first start this season, he was perfect in six innings of work, during which time he struck out nine. Astros scout Scipio Spinks reported of Harden, "his first pitch was 99 (mph) and he got better as he went along."

The comparisons of Harden to Jim Palmer appear real. As much like Palmer had, Harden has an easy arm action with an explosive jumping fastball (he hit 98 mph consistently this spring), curveball and split ..."

"He throws so easy that when it looks like he throwing 88, he's really throwing 98," another scout said.

It's not enough that Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson are 1-2-3 in the AL in wins since Zito's debut on July 20, 2000, or Ted Lilly's offseason regimen has him throwing far better than he did last season. But out there on the horizon is 20-year-old Rich Harden. The A's sent Harden, a right-hander, back to Double-A Midland despite a 2002 season in which he fanned 187 batters in 153 innings at Class A Visalia and Midland.

In his first start this season, he was perfect in six innings of work, during which time he struck out nine. Astros scout Scipio Spinks reported of Harden, "his first pitch was 99 (mph) and he got better as he went along."

The comparisons of Harden to Jim Palmer appear real. As much like Palmer had, Harden has an easy arm action with an explosive jumping fastball (he hit 98 mph consistently this spring), curveball and split ..."

"He throws so easy that when it looks like he throwing 88, he's really throwing 98," another scout said.

Not only that they have a solid prospect at shortstop, as soon as Tejada leaves they will most likely call up Bobby Crosby I think his name is. Billy Beane knows how to play his cards.

CWSOX45

ill have to remember this guy for our keeper fantasy league..since my team sux so bad im sure ill have first pick at the phenom...mawhahahahahaha

I always felt that Beane got a little bit lucky with Zito, Mulder and Hudson. How many times do three prospects work out that well? Even if their abilities were a no-brainer, the fact that none of them broke down with injuries reinforces my theory that he was somewhat lucky. That being said, you have to give him his due for his overall abilities to "generally manage" that organzation.

All that being said about Beane and his ability as a GM, why doesn't Oakland draw better?

Stupid fans, maybe? :huh:

Don't blame Beane for the public's inability to recognize a top-notch baseball team.

They've done everything they can to build and keep their talent, but not enough people show up to support them.

I wonder, though, if Beane would be less creative if he got a big payroll to work with, and would he wind up making the same mistakes as other GMs by just taking the "biggest name" available?

Monday on my way home I heard an interview with beane on the sports station out here. He couldn't get over this guy and says if he has two or three good outings he is going to AAA, and he still excels this year do not be surprised if he is with the A's this summer. Was a interesting interview

As much as I hate Oakland, I gotta give em their props. They know how to run a low budget, mid-market baseball team better than anyone else.

Imagine what Beane could have done in Boston

CWSOX45

imagine what he would do for us???

I think about that often. :headbang :headbang :headbang