Williams baffled by parting shots

Mr. Showtime

GM feels Sox did their best to accomodate Ordonez

Much more in the article.....

"I really am at a loss for words," said Williams from his home in Arizona. "What do you say when you've tried at every turn to accommodate someone, be positive and, in many cases, cover them?

"I'm at peace with how we have treated Magglio," added Williams, pausing briefly to find the right words before continuing with a very pointed close. "He's a Tiger now, so I don't care what he has to say."

EDIT: Chairman speaks on it...

When the White Sox signed Jermaine Dye prior to the Winter Meetings in Anaheim, the Ordonez era all but officially had come to a close.

"I wish Magglio well," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf during a weekend conversation with MLB.com. "We offered him $60 million -- and all cash -- before he got hurt, and after he was hurt, we offered him the same and he turned it down.

"We had to go on our way, and once he became a free agent, they stopped giving us information. I hope he's OK. I hope he can play. I also hope he doesn't hurt us."

"I wish Magglio well," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf during a weekend conversation with MLB.com. "We offered him $60 million -- and all cash -- before he got hurt, and after he was hurt, we offered him the same and he turned it down."

Maybe I missed something during the process, but I don't remember us offering the same $60 million contract after he got hurt. Did everybody else know this?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Maybe I missed something during the process, but I don't remember us offering the same $60 million contract after he got hurt.  Did everybody else know this?

Without any information on his injury :o That's about the stupidist thing I could think of doing.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Without any information on his injury  :o That's about the stupidist thing I could think of doing.

I assume the deal was still on the table when Magglio came back from the injury and probably got taken off the table after he was officially gone for the season but I could be wrong about that, just an assumption by me.

IMO Maggs got brainwashed by Bora$$. Bora$$ is now his patron Devil; Maggs will listen to and repeat whatever he tells him.

For all the years of supporting Maggs while he was a Soutthsider, I say stick it up your agent's ass coated in lemonjuice, you ungrateful, money-grubbing, brainwashed, malcontent. We don't need you, we don't want you, but the best thing of all? We're gonna own the Tigers this year, mark my words!

(Disclaimer: The Sox BETTER own the Tigers this year or I'll have a healthy plate of crow to eat!)

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Maybe I missed something during the process, but I don't remember us offering the same $60 million contract after he got hurt.  Did everybody else know this?

Yes there was a period of time where Maggs knee was not thought to be anything serious... I believe the offer was on the table until he went back on the DL after that 10 game stretch that he returned to play.

Like I said on another thread, Kenny did nothing wrong. Borass and Magg$ wanted to play "cloak and dagger" and keep his medical records a secret, so what was Kenny supposed to do? He has a LIMITED BUDGET to work with, and it would be idiotic, stupid, and irresponsible to spend 1/5 of that on a player who is damaged goods, and a player that might not even be able to perform more than half the season.

You just can't roll the dice like that on a player coming off a SERIOUS injury. Maggs had two MAJOR medical procedures on his knee, and he has a degenerative condition of edema in that knee. It would have been a HUGE risk - and with a limited payroll, it's not a risk worth taking.

If Magg$ wants to b****, so be it. If anything, we should be b****ing about how many times he killed an inning with a GIDP - when he had a GOOD set of knees. :lol:

It shouldn't surprise Kenny at all... While they have done their best to wish Maggs well, try to resign him, and not make his info public, Borass and Maggs have been on a one sided slander mission ever since last winter to try to win pity for this chump. Finally the Sox organization gets it right in handling a parting with some respect, and Maggs can't even return the favor. Like I said before, its a sad day when Sammy Sosa can handle leaving Chicago with more class than Magglio Ordonez can :headshake

KW and JR offered him $60 million after his first operation when he was about to return to the lineup. Maggs turned it down and stated "Lets just hold all talks until the offseason." After Maggs returned- he told KW to hold all contract talks until after the season is over. About a week or two into his return is when he was diagnosed with that bone marrow adema disaster. So thank you Maggs for being greedy. You would have tied us down financially for 5 seasons, but you and Borass's greedyness is a big reason we now have: Dye, Iguchi, Hernandez, Garcia, Pierzynski, and Hermanson.

Only the Tigers would have offered a player in which they are clueless about his health that ridiculous of a contract. But then again, the Tigers are known for their insane player contracts *cough, *cough Higgenson :lolhitting

Funny thing. In my opinion, if the Tigers had Dye, Iguchi, Hernandez, Garcia, Pierzynski, and Hermanson, they'd be looking pretty damn tough right now. Even AJ fits. He could spell IRod behind the plate and/or act as a DH. He'd also allow IRod to DH more often and keep him fresh all year.

That makes even less sense then Maggs quote. We'll we ever get the truth?

If KW is saying the Sox were still prepared to offer the 58/5 cash deal after the bone edema condition was discovered then why didn't the Sox at least offer arbitration?

Think about that. KW is saying the Sox were willing to risk 58/5 on Maggs but not one year of arbitration? Does that make sense to you? If he had offered arbitration the Sox at least would be getting a couple of picks from Det. High value picks because Det has drafted high of late.

I'm tending to believe Maggs here because it just makes no sense for the Sox not to offer arbitration based on what KW is saying here.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
That makes even less sense then Maggs quote.  We'll we ever get the truth?

If KW is saying the Sox were still prepared to offer the 58/5 cash deal after the bone edema condition was discovered then why didn't the Sox at least offer arbitration? 

Think about that.  KW is saying the Sox were willing to risk 58/5 on Maggs but not one year of arbitration?  Does that make sense to you?  If he had offered arbitration the Sox at least would be getting a couple of picks from Det.  High value picks because Det has drafted high of late.

I'm tending to believe Maggs here because it just makes no sense for the Sox not to offer arbitration based on what KW is saying here.

Reading that article, I did not see any quotes saying the contract was offered after the edema condition was discovered. It only said (by JR) that is was offered after he got hurt. Ordonez turned it down. Then somewhere along the line, Ordonez' people stopped keeping the Sox informed. I still say the Sox were 100% correct in not offering arbitration. And this point hasn't been made often, if at all. Magglio never would have accepted arbitration unless he believed he was going to have to shut it down for most of the year. If Ordonez expects us to believe that he would have accepted, he's a stupid mofo.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
I don't see the full truth ever coming out. Both sides will give their side of the story. The more stories I read about Maggs the less I like him.

I do...the truth will come out when Mags plays about 40 or 50 games this year. The Sox offer was still on the table even when Mags was hurt...that's why the Sox didn't offer arbitration. I'm at the point of....who cares...the Sox moved on and so did Maggliallaboutthequiche. Next chapter.

If you paid me $14 million for less than 50 games in a year, I'd be happy to be "buried" like that.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for the Trib to print KW's response. Surely they can obtain the feed from Whitesox.com. :rolly