Campos strong in Mexico's clincher

southsider2k5

Mazatlan Venados of Mexico won the Caribbean Series with a 4-3 victory over the Cibao Eagles, a Dominican team featuring Miguel Tejada and Rafael Furcal.

White Sox farmhand Francisco Campos struck out 11 over eight innings to lead Mexico to its fifth Series title early Monday at Teodoro Mariscal Stadium in Mazatlan, Mexico.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Why wouldn't we invite him if he's our farmhand? I know he wasn't on the list of guys who were invited. Didn't something else say he was invited last year?

He was invited last year and was not impressive. That's being kind.

There was a big article on him.  He pitched like 21 straight shutout innings or something and was a big ace.  He's crediting it to him learning a split finger and adding it into his repetoire.

Interesting.

He's not an official invite but I did not hear the Sox cut the cord with him, so it's possible he'll be in camp as suggested in this thread.

One theory is ... this guy pitches so damn much in the winter, it's no wonder he's out of gas by March.

I saw him pitch a few innings last March - he got cuffed around pretty good. He looked like a junkballer to me.

Then again, that Tucson air does not help pitchers one bit. Not to mention the infield is rock hard.

Off the top of my head 32. Give or take a year.

He also did something else but yes, he will be in spring training or at least thats what he's been saying.

And Jim, I ripped this guy to shreds when I saw him pitch last year, it was horrific. But if in fact he's learned some new pitches I guess a chance can't hurt.

Still, I think he's mainly just an innings guy and who knows, maybe some other team has some minor interest in him.

If he's in spring training, that's good. It doesn't hurt a thing to bring this guy in and give him a look.

I remember he had one pretty lousy outing and then they trotted him out for another outing a few days later ... he was brutal in that one. Next thing you know he was reassigned to minor league camp.

I'm guessing KW isn't bringing a bunch of starting pitching candidates into camp because he thinks someone is close to ready. My guess is McCarthy.