Anyone else change or think about changing careers

Queen Prawn

I really hate the field I am in (I am in electrical engineering) and have been trying to figure out if there is anything else in the world where I can use my degree, but not actually be an engineer. As much as I don't want to take a pay cut (still owe on my student loans), I am willing. If it wasn't for the freaking wedding in October I would get up and quit my job this second.

It is greatly disappointing to me to feel this way as the internship I had in college was phenomenal. The job world, post graduation, has sucked more than anything that has sucked before. Sad thing is, most of the crap that is infuriating me is certainly happening in other fields.

Does anyone know of a good book or site that discusses career changes and what degrees can be used for what?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I just want to find a job that pays me tons of cash for the least bit possible hehe Is that too much to ask??

I had Jury Duty today --- $17.20 for me \m/ :headbang

Too bad I put 50 miles on my truck round trip, and had to buy lunch.

50Miles/13MPG = 3.84Gallons * $1.99/G = $7.65 + lunch ($5.67) = 13.32

$17.20 - 13.32 = $3.88 divided by 6 hours of my day = $0.65 per hour....

So I've got that going for me.....

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
I had Jury Duty today --- $17.20 for me \m/ :headbang

Too bad I put 50 miles on my truck round trip, and had to buy lunch. 

50Miles/13MPG = 3.84Gallons * $1.99/G = $7.65 + lunch ($5.67) = 13.32

$17.20 - 13.32 = $3.88 divided by 6 hours of my day = $0.65 per hour....

So I've got that going for me.....

Which is nice!!! :D

I was actually in the CS major when i first started here, after a few weeks, i realized there's no way in hell i can do this for the rest of my life.

Actually looking to get into business admin- w/ a concentration on managementing information (tech stuff)

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Ha what weird timing about this.  I just sent out a few letters today concerning internships for the summer.

:lol: unless something comes out, i'll probably be at another b**** job this summer.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
:lol: unless something comes out, i'll probably be at another b**** job this summer.

I'll probably be doing the same, but I do know I won't be going back to the grocery. If these don't go through; I'm probably going to be working at a country club golf course. Decent wage and tips just for driving and cleaning carts. It'd sure beat stocking and bagging groceries.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
I'll probably be doing the same, but I do know I won't be going back to the grocery.  If these don't go through; I'm probably going to be working at a country club golf course.  Decent wage and tips just for driving and cleaning carts.  It'd sure beat stocking and bagging groceries.

i bagged for 2 years in HS

and you know what?

i'll probably end up there agin this summer just because it'll be the easy way for $

I've been looking for about 6 months. I really dislike travelling in Mexico with all the recent problems along the border. The federal government has taken over Reynosa trying to fix the corruption, or getting their cut, whichever view of the world you like.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
I have been giving a lot of thought to that samething lately.  I have basically been looking for a new job for 3 years now, but there is just nothing in the field.

What’s wrong with your job? All you have to do is make 38.3 posts per day. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
What’s wrong with your job? All you have to do is make 38.3 posts per day.  :ph34r:

That's part of the problem. I hate being slow at work. Plus the pay sucks, and there is no incentive for preformance. Actually with the bonus structure there is more incentive NOT to work.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
That's part of the problem.  I hate being slow at work.  Plus the pay sucks, and there is no incentive for preformance.  Actually with the bonus structure there is more incentive NOT to work.

Are you in finance or accounting? I know kap's accounting, but I was thinking you were either finance or econ.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
Are you in finance or accounting?  I know kap's accounting, but I was thinking you were either finance or econ.

Actually I wouldn't say accounting, exactly. Financial Analysis/Budgeting dude/IT/janitor/assclown at the current job.

And I probably have another job lined up... HELL YEA! This was a job I interviewed for three months ago and didn't get it. They said they would call back if they got any other openings, and they did, and the location is actually closer to home then the job would have been if I had gotten it back in November.

:)

And I'll get about a 12% raise - so considering the 4% I just got, I will be bringing home 15-16% more this year. Boooya. (assuming I actually get the offer this time).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
Are you in finance or accounting?  I know kap's accounting, but I was thinking you were either finance or econ.

Right now I work in futures trading. I spent a few years in options. If anyone is interested, these are some of the markets I deal with

http://www.cbot.com/

http://www.nymex.com/jsp/index.jsp

http://www.cme.com/

I'm majoring in accounting like Jason but I'm also doing Finance as well, so hopefully that will give me some options when I graduate. I just only hope, that getting a degree down here doesn't hold me back from taking a job up there, with all the different accounting standards etc. And then of course I've only wanted to work in sports, but unless I'm extremely lucky, I doubt that's going to happen.