Anyone else change or think about changing careers

Queen Prawn

im working right now as a co-op i was supposed ti graduate this may but i decided to delay that to see if this is really what i want to do, i am getting a math minor so I figure that would be useful i fI ever wanted to swicth into teaching but I think in Materials Science there are quite a few ways you can use your degree

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 03:04 AM)
I'm majoring in accounting like Jason but I'm also doing Finance as well, so hopefully that will give me some options when I graduate. I just only hope, that getting a degree down here doesn't hold me back from taking a job up there, with all the different accounting standards etc. And then of course I've only wanted to work in sports, but unless I'm extremely lucky, I doubt that's going to happen.

There's a lot you can do, DBAHO. And you don't have to have an accounting degree to be an operations or budget analyst. In fact, I find the better business analysts are not accountants. For some reason, accountants see a very small range of what is really going on with a business.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Any good tips SS?? hehe

Yeah, don't try to beat the market. Mimic what the money-makers do. Remember all of this s*** is a zero sum game. If someone is making money, someone else is losing it. And if you think you are going to outdo the professionals, you are insane.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I had Jury Duty today --- $17.20 for me \m/ :headbang

Too bad I put 50 miles on my truck round trip, and had to buy lunch. 

50Miles/13MPG = 3.84Gallons * $1.99/G = $7.65 + lunch ($5.67) = 13.32

$17.20 - 13.32 = $3.88 divided by 6 hours of my day = $0.65 per hour....

So I've got that going for me.....

Some places pay you mileage.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
That's part of the problem.  I hate being slow at work.  Plus the pay sucks, and there is no incentive for preformance.  Actually with the bonus structure there is more incentive NOT to work.

No incentive for spelling either, huh? :P

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
There's a lot you can do, DBAHO.  And you don't have to have an accounting degree to be an operations or budget analyst.  In fact, I find the better business analysts are not accountants.  For some reason, accountants see a very small range of what is really going on with a business.

That's good to hear Kap, I know you work in the field, so you'd have good first hand experience when it comes to these things. That's the thing with accounting, there's quite a lot of different jobs you can undertake like auditing etc.