Tax Question

Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Wooh, good.  Brian's last company f***ed him on his.  He filled out all the paperwork and his current company sent it in, but they still cut him the check (something like 1/3 of it went to taxes and penalties).

If he filled out the paperwork and has copies (which he should have) he can recover that $$. IIRC he has 3 years to do so.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Wooh, good.  Brian's last company f***ed him on his.  He filled out all the paperwork and his current company sent it in, but they still cut him the check (something like 1/3 of it went to taxes and penalties).

Same thing happened to me. I had a second job and they were taking money out when I didn't even want them to. I got a check when I quit and had to pay penalties because of early withdrawl.

It was only $30 so I'm not going to make a big fuss over it though...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Same thing happened to me. I had a second job and they were taking money out when I didn't even want them to. I got a check when I quit and had to pay penalties because of early withdrawl.

It was only $30 so I'm not going to make a big fuss over it though...

They were deducting 401K funds WITHOUT your permission..?? Umm.. you better make a fuss about it. It's against the law and you should report them.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
They were deducting 401K funds WITHOUT your permission..?? Umm.. you better make a fuss about it. It's against the law and you should report them.

Also check to see if they were deducting -or- this was a benefit and just company monies. Rare, but possible. A person that worked for me had that situation with her previous company. IIRC there are IRS guidelines about top heavy plans, common in places like Doctors offices where the Doc tosses in $$$$ and the employees do not participate. So the Doc needed more participation and contributed regardless of the employee's particpation. (More if they particpated)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Also check to see if they were deducting -or- this was a benefit and just company monies. Rare, but possible. A person that worked for me had that situation with her previous company. IIRC there are IRS guidelines about top heavy plans, common in places like Doctors offices where the Doc tosses in $$$$ and the employees do not participate. So the Doc needed more participation and contributed regardless of the employee's particpation. (More if they particpated)

He did say deducting.. :bang

:P

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
It was called profit-sharing. I don't know if it's the same thing or not...

They were taking funds out of your check WITHOUT your permission... is that correct..? You need to call an employment attny. I don't know any details about the laws, but I know that is wrong, and I think on a federal level.

If it was called profit sharing it was probably not taken from your check. For $30, I don't think it's worth getting an attorney. Be careful filing your taxes, unmatched 1099 do cause the IRS to get excited, regardless of the amount.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
If it was called profit sharing it was probably not taken from your check. For $30, I don't think it's worth getting an attorney. Be careful filing your taxes, unmatched 1099 do cause the IRS to get excited, regardless of the amount.

I wouldn't get an attny either. But like Tex said.. an unmatched 1099 will get you a call from Uncle Sam..