Saudis set for landmark elections

KipWellsFan

courtesy cbc.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...ions050209.html

Last Updated Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:39:37 EST

CBC News

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA - Saudi Arabia is set to hold its first ever elections on Thursday, nation-wide municipal polls that some hope will be the start of widespread democratic reform in the oil-rich kingdom.

The elections will do little to change the power structure in the absolute monarchy. In the capital Riyadh, seven men will be elected to council seats. An equal number of councillors will be appointed, as will the council chair.

Women aren't being allowed to run or vote.

While about 400,000 men are eligible to vote in Riyadh, only 148,000 registered for the polls, suggesting to organizers that some Saudis aren't ready to embrace democracy yet.

"It's a conservative society," said Prince Mansour Mutib Abdulaziz, who sits on the elections committee. "Some people have anxiety about election as a process of sharing or expanding or widening citizen participation."

Despite the limited power of the new elected positions, many believe the polls mark the start of democratic reforms that will eventually transform the country's political system.

About 650 candidates are on the ballot in the capital, and they are campaigning hard.

Many have erected large billboards at city intersections, and the streets are dotted with campaign tents – traditional bedouin desert tents pitched in parking lots and laid out with rich carpets where campaign issues are discussed over strong coffee, dates, even lamb roasted on a spit.

"It's a historical event we are going through and it's considered to be a major step in the political reform process," said candidate Beshr Bakheet.

Others believe this first step will inevitably lead to more steps along the path to greater reform.

"Once you start the democratic process you cannot go back and I think this election is just the beginning of a full representation of people and all legislative councils including the Parliament," said Suleyman Alaznazi, a teacher at the Institute of Public Administration.

:lolhitting

It's been less than a 100 years since this country started letting women vote. Same for Canada I believe (iirc New Zealand was the first country to let women vote and that was as "early" as 1906/8/something).

We're aren't so progressive as we think.

EDIT: Sorry, NZ was first, 1893. Australia was the first to let women vote AND be in parliment/congress in 1902.

"In the politics of a democracy there should be no sex. A woman without a vote is an inferior, and thereby liable to be so regarded."

Maybanke Anderson, The Sun, 6 July 1912.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Yeah I do agree with you ChiSoxy, I'm just saying they are taking a step in the right direction. Hopefully they'll let women vote soon.

Wasn't directed at you at all. Just a general FYI. :)

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
It's been less than a 100 years since this country started letting women vote. Same for Canada I believe (iirc New Zealand was the first country to let women vote and that was as "early" as 1906/8/something).

We're aren't so progressive as we think.

EDIT: Sorry, NZ was first, 1893. Australia was the first to let women vote AND be in parliment/congress in 1902.

"In the politics of a democracy there should be no sex. A woman without a vote is an inferior, and thereby liable to be so regarded."

Maybanke Anderson, The Sun, 6 July 1912.

I was thinking the samething in regards to the US. I didn't realize that basically all of the rest of the formerly British world basically walked down the same path. Was it the same way in regards to minorities? Did they withhold the right to vote from groups (such as blacks) also?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
I was thinking the samething in regards to the US.  I didn't realize that basically all of the rest of the formerly British world basically walked down the same path.  Was it the same way in regards to minorities?  Did they withhold the right to vote from groups (such as blacks) also?

IIRC, and DBAHO might know this better than I, but I think they were more holding back the aboriginal people's voting, since they were the main "people of color."

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
IIRC, and DBAHO might know this better than I, but I think they were more holding back the aboriginal people's voting, since they were the main "people of color."

That would be correct.

1902 - The first Commonwealth Parliament passed the Commonwealth Franchise Act of 1902 which was progressive for its time in granting universal adult suffrage (most men and women over 21) were allowed to vote at federal elections. However, it specifically excluded any Aboriginal native of Australia, or the Torres Strait and South Sea Island of the Pacific (except New Zealand) from Commonwealth franchise unless already enrolled in a State. The Aboriginal franchise was further reduced in practice by admitting only those Australian Aboriginals already enrolled in a State in 1902.