Pitching rotation

BridgeportHeather

It's clearly obvious that Buehrle and Garcia will be our top two pitchers (barring anything major that happens in spring training) and that Garland will bring up the rear at the fifth spot. But just what do you think of the positioning of Contreras and El Duque in our rotation?

I think it could go either way, but due to ElDuque's previous physical setback, I'd say Contreras would have the upper-hand for now. It seems as though Contreras has turned it around since coming here. He is a different pitcher since he was instructed not to "tip" pitches. He seems very comfortable in his role. Not to knock Duque...I just don't think he'll bring as much to the table as Contreras will this season. This season, I have this premonition that Contreras will dazzle us.

QUOTE(Heather Lee @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
I am Heather Lee...Posted as HeatherTheRedbird in 2001/2002, then changed my name to what it's been for about three years.

I'm sure Gene was being sarcastic seeing as to how you haven't posted in what seems like 6 months, then you just pop up...

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
contreras was TERRIBLE in sept. until he can learn to use all his pitches, hes number 4. although i have more faith in garland than jose.

Still didn't give me cardiac arrest like Garland did and was much better than their "hit-or-miss" fifth starters...I see a good season in the future for him.

QUOTE(Heather Lee @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
I am Heather Lee...Posted as HeatherTheRedbird in 2001/2002, then changed my name to what it's been for about three years.

:P

Hi, I'm Gene Honda Civic. I'm Timo's daddy. You can call me Mr. Perez if you'd like...

------

Now that we've got that finished....

I think of the rotation like this.

1)Buehrle

2)Garcia

3)Good Contreras + 1/2 year of El Duque

4)Garland

5)Bad Contreras + 10 starts from AAA fodder

We have three really good pitchers, a league average pitcher, and a replacement level 5th. -- Still the best rotation in the AL Central, because everyone's going to have the replacement level 5th starter.

It's clearly obvious that Buehrle and Garcia will be our top two pitchers (barring anything major that happens in spring training) and that Garland will bring up the rear at the fifth spot.  But just what do you think of the positioning of Contreras and El Duque in our rotation?

I think it could go either way, but due to ElDuque's previous physical setback, I'd say Contreras would have the upper-hand for now.  It seems as though Contreras has turned it around since coming here.  He is a different pitcher since he was instructed not to "tip" pitches.  He seems very comfortable in his role.  Not to knock Duque...I just don't think he'll bring as much to the table as Contreras will this season.  This season, I have this premonition that Contreras will dazzle us.

It's too early to tell. Cooper wants to make use of the off days to skip Duque starts & stretch his off days. Ozzie wants to make use of a strict 5 man rotation with no skipped starts. It's Ozzie's team so I think you can pencil Hernandez in at #3. As for #4 it's definitely Contreras. Oz is down on Garland. Some analysts think Herm can unseat him for the 5th spot. It's Garland's spot to lose for sure.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Some analysts think Herm can unseat him for the 5th spot.  It's Garland's spot to lose for sure.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/spring/turfwars

Hermanson came over from the Cards and seemed to be ticketed for a setup man's job, but a good spring could help him push aside Garland for the last spot in the rotation. Garland has won 12 games for three consecutive seasons, but his overall numbers haven't been impressive considering the stuff he has.

That guy doesn't even know where Hermanson last pitched... Why would I beleive anything else he had to say?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
That guy doesn't even know where Hermanson last pitched... Why would I beleive anything else he had to say?

jeez, they made a mistake..he did pitch for the cards, just not last yr. :P

>oh, what a dumb question:sammy or tejada, the clubhouse leader.

Welcome home Heather!

I think the plan is to say El Duke is one of the big three, manuever him around so he gets big starts, but at the same time see that he gets most of the off days.

If healthy then Mark, Freddie and Jon should be around 200 innings, El Duke around 150 and Jose will depend on how well he goes.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
jeez, they made a mistake..he did pitch for the cards, just not last yr. :P

>oh, what a dumb question:sammy or tejada, the clubhouse leader.

I wasn't commenting about you... I was commenting on whoever wrote that -- I'm sure they got paid to do it. But, that doesn't mean their opinion counts for anything.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeiniguchansodnik @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
Heather Contreras, then?

LOL, not quite...Though I do have to think of what I'm gonna have my name changed to since my guy's no longer here.

Well, now my guy's Konerko.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
El Piervizdyeiniguchansodnik

Duque

Pierz

Vizcaino

Dye

Iggy

Hermanson

Pods

But who is the "in" for -- am I missing someone?

The in is just a continuation of Vizcaino's name.

Vizdyein

After a long debate with myself, I decided iniguchi was better than inoguchi.

Open for feedback on that part though.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeiniguchansodnik @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
The in is just a continuation of Vizcaino's name.

Vizdyein

After a long debate with myself, I decided iniguchi was better than inoguchi.

Open for feedback on that part though.

I'd drop the INI, it's making me ILL... :lol:

seriously though, I'd drop the "in" and either the "I" that follows it, or the "E" that precedes it.. Then it will roll right off the tounge. :headbang