Johan's Contract Situation

Whitewashed in '05

Santana may sign for $38 million

February 10

St. Paul Pioneer Press (Scroll Down) (registration required): "But after a snag in negotiations last week, insiders say talks have resumed nicely, and it's a good bet that the Twins and their prized left-hander soon will reach agreement on a four-year contract for approximately $38 million."

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)

I have to imagine he would have some major incentives and bonuses....I felt Halladay had a more dominate season his Cy Young year than Johan in his, so I think he won't get more money. The Twins will get this deal done. They have to, I see them playing with their everyday players more than their pitching staff. You need atleast two top line starters to compete for the WS (who cares about the division ultimately!?!). I see a different OF, as their three make some cash and they have guys who could hold the positions okay. So, goodbye Jacque Jones by default.

EDIT* - Change impressive to dominate, because I was wrong about impressive.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
I have to imagine he would have some major incentives and bonuses....I felt Halladay had a more impressive season his Cy Young year than Johan in his, so I think he won't get more money. The Twins will get this deal done. They have to, I see them playing with their everyday players more than their pitching staff. You need atleast two top line starters to compete for the WS (who cares about the division ultimately!?!). I see a different OF, as their three make some cash and they have guys who could hold the positions okay. So, goodbye Jacque Jones by default.

Comparing santana's cy young season to halladay's is like comparing apples and oranges. Santana was better in nearly every category possible.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Comparing santana's cy young season to halladay's is like comparing apples and oranges. Santana was better in nearly every category possible.

Santana: 228 IP, 2.61 ERA, 1 CG, 24 HR, 66 ER, 54 BB, 265 K, 20 W (on a playoff team w/ AS closer), 1 SHO

Halladay: 266 IP, 3.25 ERA, 9 CG, 26 HR, 96 ER, 32 BB, 204 K, 22 W (on a terrible team w/ no closer), 2 SHO

I think it is more comparable than you made it out to be. A guy who can throw 9 CG (including a 10 inning CG IIRC) is special. Santana had a lower average against him (.192 to .247), but almost twice as many walks in less innings. The Ks are impressive though. He gives up more HR too. OBP was close as .249 to .275. That is a few base runners here and there. Halladay also faced almost 200 more batters (881 to 1071). Darst I say Santana had one more wild pitch than Halladay too (7 to 6)?

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Santana: 228 IP, 2.61 ERA, 1 CG, 24 HR, 66 ER, 54 BB, 265 K, 20 W (on a playoff team w/ AS closer), 1 SHO

Halladay: 266 IP, 3.25 ERA, 9 CG, 26 HR, 96 ER, 32 BB, 204 K, 22 W (on a terrible team w/ no closer), 2 SHO

I think it is more comparable than you made it out to be. A guy who can throw 9 CG (including a 10 inning CG IIRC) is special. Santana had a lower average against him (.192 to .247), but almost twice as many walks in less innings. The Ks are impressive though. He gives up more HR too. OBP was close as .249 to .275. That is a few base runners here and there. Halladay also faced almost 200 more batters (881 to 1071). Darst I say Santana had one more wild pitch than Halladay too (7 to 6)?

I would rather have a guy give up more walks than hits any time. A .55 point batting average differential is huge. Santana gives up more home runs but slightly. Not signifigant enough to matter. Santana was one of only two starts this year i believe to have a whip under one ( 0.92). Hallday's was 1.00 exactly.

Santana in 2004 held batters to .191 average, .249 obp, .315 slg, and 564 ops.

Halladay in 2003 held batters to .247 average, .275 obp, .389 slg, and 664 ops.

You look at the career numbers only thing halladay really has an edge on is complete games. Another thing santana has going for him is being left handed. Sanatan's cy young season was much better than hallday's. Not takking anything away from halladay but last year from sanatana was unreal.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I would rather have a guy give up more walks than hits any time. A .55 point batting average differential is huge. Santana gives up more home runs but slightly. Not signifigant enough to matter. Santana was one of only two starts this year i believe to have a whip under one ( 0.92). Hallday's was 1.00 exactly.

Santana in 2004 held batters to .191 average, .249 obp, .315 slg, and 564 ops.

Halladay in 2003 held batters to .247 average, .275 obp, .389 slg, and  664 ops.

You look at the career numbers only thing halladay really has an edge on is complete games. Another thing santana has going for him is being left handed. Sanatan's cy young season was much better than hallday's. Not takking anything away from halladay but last year from sanatana was unreal.

Oh, I was just saying you could compare them somewhat. If I was starting a team today, I would take Santana over Halladay (from their Cy Young seasons). I just feel Halladay would go out there and be more dominate, even while Santana may have been more impressive.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
I'll take the guaranteed $40 million and look to score big next time around.

LMFAO..just read that and realize how truly sad things are when you can mention $40M and "scoring big the next time around" in the same sentence.

What a friggin joke.

Halladay vs Santana: You're forgetting the biggest difference - the division they play in. When you compare Halladay's ALE #"s to Santana's, Halladay's year is much more impressive. To do what he did in the ALE was remarkable. Santana doing it in the ALC is less remarkable.

Likewise I don't think it's a given Santana will outperform Halladay in 05.

Halladay finally paid the price for all those IP in 04. He should be healthy for 05. Adding RJ to the AL is going to boost both road gates & TV ratings for MLB & the NYY. People who have a lukewarm interest in MLB will tune in for those matchups because of Randy's stature. Halladay vs RJ is going to be one of those matchups.