Who's the single-season home run champ?

Who do you consider the single-season home run champion?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider the single-season home run champion?

• Roger Maris, 61 (1961)
    • Sammy Sosa, 66 (1998)
    • Mark McGwire, 70 (1998)
    • Barry Bonds, 73 (2001)

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
I didnt vote for him but i see why they might.

Bonds is on roids

Mcguire was on a substance that is now banned

There is no proof Sosa is on Roids ( though we know he is)

I voted Maris, but out of the remaining three, I'd select McGwire. What he was taking was not illegal in baseball or in society. It could be purchased over the counter. I consider it no worse than me using coffee to get me through a night at work.

And when even mariotti is referring to Sosa as the incredible shrinking Sammy, I'd call it a slam dunk that the jerk was roiding.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Maris did play in 161 games in 1961 the year he broke the record. Ruth never had 705 plate apperances in his career.

Well okay, you got me. Maris did indeed play in those extra 5 games (I looked at the wrong year) and Ruth did not have 705 plate appearances. He had 691 to Maris 698. Still hardly a major difference.

I don't think those numbers change the point.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Well okay, you got me.  Maris did indeed play in those extra 5 games (I looked at the wrong year) and Ruth did not have 705 plate appearances.  He had 691 to Maris 698.  Still hardly a major difference.

I don't think those numbers change the point.

Regardless of the number of at bats, when Maris played in game number 151, which was the most that Ruth could have possibly played in, Maris did not have 60 homeruns. Those extra games made a major difference.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Regardless of the number of at bats, when Maris played in game number 151, which was the most that Ruth could have possibly played in, Maris did not have 60 homeruns. Those extra games made a major difference.

which 151? the first 151, the middle 151 or the last 151?

he didnt hit his first homerun till the 11th game so he would have hit 61 in 153. so 2 extra games. oooooo

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 12, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)

But why was Ruth able to get as many PA's in fewer games?

The '27 Yankees... Murderer's Row, the best offense ever. team OBP of .381

Maris' 61 team was significantly less, team OBP of .328

That's why the PA's are so even despite a difference of 10 games... Your team plays as much a part in getting enough attempts as anything.