Reggie Miller to retire at season's end

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../508190485/1088

Miller to join sister on TNT

By Mark Montieth

[email protected]

Reggie and Cheryl Miller have been yapping at one another for most of their lives, joking, debating and arguing over endless topics.

Now they will be paid to do it.

The retired Indiana Pacers guard was introduced as TNT's latest broadcasting hire Thursday, joining a team of analysts and reporters that includes his older sister, Cheryl, a 10-year veteran of the cable network.

Reggie Miller, who turned down an opportunity to join the ESPN and ABC broadcast teams, signed a multiyear contract with TNT. Terms were not revealed.

"I'm willing to earn my spurs," Miller said in a national conference call with about a dozen reporters. "After 18 years (with the Pacers), I'm back to being a rookie, which sucks, but I'm looking forward to the challenge."

"A well-paid rookie," interjected Cheryl, who was in Melbourne, Australia, where she is on vacation.

"I'm going to call my attorney after this, because I know he's getting more money than I am."

Seriously, Miller said his decision between networks was made easy by the chance to work with his sister.

"Will we step on each other's toes from time to time?" he asked.

"Absolutely!" Cheryl broke in.

"It's going to be fun," Reggie said. "It's going to be great fun."

"Do your homework," Cheryl said. "I'm tired of carrying you."

Reggie's duties will be split between joining Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith in the network's Atlanta studio, participating in remote hookups with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr, and joining Kevin Harlan and Doug Collins courtside for game coverage.

"When we pair Reggie and Steve Kerr, we may have the best shooting backcourt in the NBA," Albert joked.

Reggie said he's most excited about having a forum to throw out opinions and insults -- and not just at his sister.

"The perk of all this is, I can say all the things I've been wanting to say about the league, about the commissioner, without getting fined," he said. "All those things I've been wanting to say . . ."

Miller said he's been working out as he normally does this time of the year, running the hills and beaches near his Malibu, Calif., home. He also joined former Pacers teammate Austin Croshere for some individual workouts because "it sucks to shoot alone."

So far, however, he has felt no twinge of regret over his decision to retire.

"Once it's September and I can sense when fall is coming, it will hit me then," he said.

TNT will broadcast six Pacers games next season, including their second game of the season at Miami on Nov. 3. It also will carry their game at Detroit on Feb. 23, which will mark Ron Artest's first game at the Palace of Auburn Hills since last November's brawl.