Puppies killed...

Steff

http://www.pet-abuse.org/cases/3618

Puppies throats slashed, five killed - (Seymour, CT - US)

Crime Date: 01/19/2005

Case Status: Alleged

Court Dates: Mar 7, 2005

Case Updates: Available - Click Here

Case Photos: Available - Click Here

Abusers/Suspects:

Brannon Chandler

Case Report

A 20-year-old man has been charged with animal cruelty, accused of slashing the throats of six puppies, killing five of them. Brannon Chandler was arrested Thursday after police say he slit the throats of all six dogs late Wednesday night with a buck knife they found in his bedroom.

The puppies belonged to the owners of a home where Chandler is a house guest, Capt. Paul Beres said.

When police interviewed him at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday, Chandler told them he "sent the puppies to heaven."

Chandler was angry that his friends wouldn't let him have a dog because he couldn't care for it, according to Animal Control Office Joe LaRovera.

"He said, `If I can't have them nobody will have them,"' LaRovera said.

LaRovera and the surviving puppy's owner rushed it to Shoreline Animal Emergency Clinic in Stratford. Chandler was held on $50,000 bond at Bridgeport Correctional Center. He is to appear Feb. 3 in Derby Superior Court.

The wounding may have damaged Amazing Grace's larynx, Michael said, and the vets want to watch that injury. It could be several weeks, she added, before the full extent of the pup's injuries are known.

A Seymour police officer found a wire basket about 300 feet into woods behind the house where Chandler and the roommate lived, the puppies inside it. Amazing Grace, so named by Seymour Veterinary Hospital staffers who attended her, was on top.

Seymour Police Capt. Paul Beres disputes other reports that Chandler attacked the puppies in response to the roommate's refusal to sell him one of them. "We're still looking into what the motivation was for Mr. Chandler to do this act," Beres said. "I've got a few officers still working on this case. It's not case closed because of the nature of the incident."

He said the hospital's staff filled three notebook pages with names and telephone numbers of people wanting information, that Town Hall workers took calls and that his pager went off all day with numbers.

He said he will not know how much people donated to the pup's care, because mail sent Friday won't arrive at Town Hall or be opened until Monday.

To donate to defray the cost of Amazing Grace's care, mail checks to Town of Seymour Animal Control, 1 First St., Seymour 06483. Steven Valenti / Republican-American Amazing Grace is the only one of six puppies to survive an attack in Seymour on Thursday.

QUOTE(Tadahito Iguchi 15 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
For some reason, I find it worse to hear when animals die than when people die...

I feel the exact same way. You get used to hearing about people diying but when I here a dog was abused or killed I just get insane.