The Best of Oz

JUGGERNAUT

I hope we can make this a sticky & others will contribute so we can have one thread to hold all of Ozzie's best lines. If there is a thread out there please move this there.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/131sd8.htm

"I know how to swear in a few more languages," a grinning Guillen said at the close of the 2004 season. "Japanese, obviously Spanish and English I knew, and then whatever language (shortstop) Juan Uribe thinks he's speaking." :notworthy :D

I'm going to have to spell this out as I heard it, for maximum hilarity:

Oz was on Talking Baseball last spring talking about Shingo, and he asked Shingo "what that pitch was", and Shingo told him it was a sinker, to which Oz replied:

"Eee say eet was a seenger, but Aye never seen a seenger seeng lye dot!!!"

I walked around the house for an hour singing "Aye never seen a seenger seeng lye dot!"

:lol:

Oz is the best!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca16.htm

''This is the team you win with -- pitching, defense and speed,'' Guillen said. ''There are only two teams that can just beat the crap out of you every day -- the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. Everybody else has to play baseball.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug16.html

"If the players play the way they should play, we should win the [American League Central] division,'' he said.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3453

"There are so many different things he might be jealous [of]...I was a better player than him, I've got more money than him and I'm better looking than him."

--Guillen, Him - being Buck Showalter

"Atlanta is going to win!" "They are going to Kick your (butts), (steal) your girlfriends and drink your beer!"

--Ozzie Guillen (ATL vs NYY 2000)

"You know, I thought Bobby (Cox) was my friend. He's trying to ruin my career, he's playing me everyday!"

--Ozzie Guillen on playing more often. (Aug 1999)

Joey Cora: They have different styles. Alex is very intense and can get mad. Sometime you have to settle him down a bit. Ozzie is a veteran, and he knows a lot about the game. He has a lot of fun and he's always chatting with the umpires and stuff. They're different, but they're both very good.

“Every time we play here, we can never win”.” We can’t ever get enough runs”. ‘Every time we face this staff, we struggle for runs”. “We never swing our bats well here”. - Ozzie Gullen (after losing to the A's in OAK)

Gene Lamont - "If the Sox win, [Guillen] will think it was a great experience. But if they lose, he'll think the clubhouse had something to do with it."

"When we saw Takatsu in spring training, I never thought he could even pitch in this league...Now to put him in there, that's another gamble because I don't know he can do that. I know he has done it [in Japan.] You don't save 300 games just because. You have to be something special." - Guillen

"Frank is a grown man," Guillen said. "He knows what he's doing. I'll be behind my players 100 percent no matter if they're wrong or right."

If this is the best job in baseball, then why do you guys get gray hair and fat so quickly? - Guillen on managing a ML team

"If my players don't like it, that's a message. You got to play the game hard. I know if it happened on my side, I'd be high-fiving my players."

- Guillen after Torri charge over Burke

Ozzie Guillen on baseball’s Winter Meetings: “It’s like a high school convention (reunion). Everybody is hugging everybody, and nobody wants to make any deals.”

Guillen on Shingo Takatsu: “He not only fools the hitters, he fools the manager and a lot of other people.”

Guillen: “The way Rowand played center field last year, he should be the center fielder this year.”

Guillen on Carlos Lee during the Torii Hunter game: “He slides into second base like his wife was turning the double play.”

Guillen on the payroll: “We have to win, and then you guys show up.”

Aaron Rowand on Joe Crede: “This guy sleeps more than anyone I’ve ever seen.”

Ozzie Guillen after Twins clinched -

"When you have a team that shows up every day and performs like they do, they should be proud of themselves because I know how to be prepared to be in that position. I know how hard you work to get to the postseason. [...] Ronny [Gardenhire, the Twins manager] did a better job than me and that's why he's there. I have no regrets, but believe me, I will think about what we did wrong and think about how we can get better. I guarantee I see myself winning with the White Sox."

Ozzie Guillen -

“My team’s all full of crap. I hate that. Tip your hats to those guys; hey, we just got beat. I hope (the Twins) win, because that means if they win the World Series, I lost to the best team in baseball in 2004. You have to be smarter than that. Did they kick our butts? They did. Did they play good against us? They did. And we went there at the wrong time? Yes, we went there at the wrong time because they were playing great baseball and we didn’t. But, c’mon, if you get beat, you get beat. They played better than we did. They executed better, they pitched better, they caught the ball better. If the playoffs started today, they have a great chance to win because of the way they are playing the game right now.”

Well I think that explains a lot about the off-season changes.

Lee - panzy-assed slide into 2nd in the Torri over Burke game.

Pods - Ozzie said they had no leadoff hitter last year

Everything else fell into place from their.

At the winter meetings, manager Ozzie Guillen said he was hoping that Garland would "go from third starter, fourth starter to fifth starter.''

Someone asked if Garland might thrive with less pressure on him.

Guillen practically laughed.

"No,'' he blurted out. "I just want better pitchers.''