Sox trade Escobar to Washington Nationals

maggsmaggs

Alex Escobar - OF - WAS

Nationals acquired outfielder Alex Escobar from the White Sox for outfielder Jerry Owens.

Ridiculous. Jim Bowden, forever obsessed with toolsy outfielders, never could get Escobar while he was with the Reds. Now he has him, but there's absolutely no place for him on the roster and he's out of options. If this were a free pickup, then we wouldn't have much of a problem with it, but in trading Owens, a 2003 second-round pick, he's surrendering one of the few position player prospects the Nationals have. A good move by White Sox GM Ken Williams. Feb. 13 - 2:40 pm et

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Alex Escobar - OF - WAS

Nationals acquired outfielder Alex Escobar from the White Sox for outfielder Jerry Owens.

Ridiculous. Jim Bowden, forever obsessed with toolsy outfielders, never could get Escobar while he was with the Reds. Now he has him, but there's absolutely no place for him on the roster and he's out of options. If this were a free pickup, then we wouldn't have much of a problem with it, but in trading Owens, a 2003 second-round pick, he's surrendering one of the few position player prospects the Nationals have. A good move by White Sox GM Ken Williams. Feb. 13 - 2:40 pm et

I like the sound of that... hopefully this ends up being one of those Marte for Gurrier afterthought trades that pays big.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Can anyone answer if Savannah is a low-A or high-A?  I'm assuming high-A, considering that Owens was 23 last season, but can anyone answer that for sure...?

It's low-A, Brevard County is high-A for Washington.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Birmingham Barons.

Depends on where Anderson goes. If Anderson goes to Charlotte, Owens will starts in Birmingham. If Anderson starts in Birmingham, Owens would be starting in Winston-Salem.

This is also assuming that Sweeney is moved to AA.

The options thing again. Ok help me out. I think that means he can refuse an assignment & become a FA. For the Sox to assign him to a ml team he must first pass waivers. Is that about right?

As for it clearing room for a MIF there aren't many left. The truth is that Iggy has played more G as SS in his career than Uribe or any one who would play better than him. I've been reading some more stuff on Iggy from fans of the Hawks (the best place to get the real deal) & they were entertaining the idea of his playing SS in 03 for the Hawks to get rid of a weaker bat in their lineup. So the fans of the team still felt he could play an adequate SS as late as 03.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1989606

Some have retired, but there are still good names available:

LHP: Omar Daal, Valerio Santos, Darren Oliver

RHP: Curtis Leskanic, Ramiro Mendoza, Alan Levine, Jeff Zimmerman, Pat

Hentgen, Mike Fetters, Shane Reynolds, Scott Service, Todd Van Poppel, Brian Boehringer, Andy Ashby, Robb Nen

2B: Mark McLemore, Rey Sanchez

1B/DH: John Olerud, Carlos Baerga

SS: Barry Larkin

Some of them no doubt will accept arbitration but there are still a lot

of names available to pick up an arm better than Adkins for the pen.

By the way, I just pulled out the old Prospect Handbook for 2004 and Owens is their 17th best prospect, according to BA. Here is what it says: (Please note that this is from BEFORE last season.)

Owens gave up baseball after his sophomore season at Hart High in Newhall, Calif., where he starred as a wide receiver catching passes from childhood friend Kyle Boller, who now starts for the NFL's Batlimore Ravens after going 19th in the 2003 NFL Draft.  Owens spent two injury-plagued years on UCLA's football team before enrolling at The Master's (Calif.) College and returning to the diamond.  He initially wanted to pitch, but coaches convinced him that he needed to take advantage of his speed by playing a position.  Owens did just that, hitting .451 with 30 stolen bases to win the Golden State Athletic Conference's 2003 player of the year award.  He was one of the premier athletes in the 2003 draft, and the Expos (now Nationals) considered taking him 20th overall before opting for Chad Cordero.  Owens has a lean, wiry physique with sinewy muscles.  He can get down the line from the left side of the plate in 3.85-3.95 seconds, and has been clocked as quick as 3.5 seconds on a drag bunt.  He projects as an electrifying basestealer in the majors, though he's raw and will need time to develop as a hitter.  He lost valuable time last summer when he ran into an outfield wall during his second pro game, missing the rest of the season after minor operations on his throwing shoulder and a pre-existing hernia.  Owens has a compact swing, good bat control and a line-drive approach.  His bat occasionally drags through the zone and he needs to get his hands more extended.  Owens has a below-average arm, but with his range probably will stay in center field.  He'll play in low Class A in 2004.

from baseball americas discussion of the top 10 prospects in the nationals system....

"Q: Russ from NY asks:

What does the future hold for former The Masters College product Jerry Owens?

A: Aaron Fitt: Hello everyone, and welcome to the first ever Nationals chat. Let's get going.

Moderator: Jerry Owens could have a very bright future, and he just missed making the top 10. The fastest player in the system, Owens understands his game very well and plays to his strengths, hitting the ball on the ground and learning to work the count. He is a touch old for a guy who spent the year in low Class A, so the Nationals will try to move him quickly and see what he can do - which is one reason they sent him to the Arizona Fall League this year. Once Owens is fully recovered from his shoulder injury, and he should be by Opening Day, he will move from left field to center to take better advantage of his speed. "

This guy is a longshot but 2004 was his first full year of pro ball. So it's not as if he's been toiling away in the minors since age 18, his circumstances and experience level are a bit different.

The Sox are taking a chance on a good athlete, clearing a roster spot for a more pressing need, and this gives Tony Alvarez an outside chance to make the team with a good spring. I'm sure he is smiling with this news.

I would have liked to see Escobar get a long look this spring but seeing as he's out of options, either he had a great spring and made the team or they could very well have lost him for nothing. Owens is a project but it's always better to get something.

Escobar is less than thrilled I'm guessing. Washington is really stacked with OF guys like him.

Edit: The above two posts from aboz and daa84 show why this is the best site for White Sox information on the internet. We now have a pretty complete picture on this guy. Good job guys.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
The options thing again.  Ok help me out.  I think that means he can refuse an assignment & become a FA.  For the Sox to assign him to a ml team he must first pass waivers.  Is that about right?

As for it clearing room for a MIF there aren't many left.  The truth is that Iggy has played more G as SS in his career than Uribe or any one who would play better than him.  I've been reading some more stuff on Iggy from fans of the Hawks (the best place to get the real deal) & they were entertaining the idea of his playing SS in 03 for the Hawks to get rid of a weaker bat in their lineup.  So the fans of the team still felt he could play an adequate SS as late as 03.

Hentgen,  Mike Fetters, Shane Reynolds, Scott Service, Todd Van Poppel, Brian Boehringer, Andy Ashby, Robb Nen

Zimmerman is gonna resign with the rangers no matter what. Oliver is signed. Yankee$ have agreed to terms with sanchez.

More than like half the people you mentioned are over thirty five. Out of the relievers i do not see many at all that will improve over adkins. I would rather stick with adkins than most of them hoping adkins can break out.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
The options thing again.  Ok help me out.  I think that means he can refuse an assignment & become a FA.  For the Sox to assign him to a ml team he must first pass waivers.  Is that about right?

As for it clearing room for a MIF there aren't many left.  The truth is that Iggy has played more G as SS in his career than Uribe or any one who would play better than him.  I've been reading some more stuff on Iggy from fans of the Hawks (the best place to get the real deal) & they were entertaining the idea of his playing SS in 03 for the Hawks to get rid of a weaker bat in their lineup.  So the fans of the team still felt he could play an adequate SS as late as 03.

Hentgen,  Mike Fetters, Shane Reynolds, Scott Service, Todd Van Poppel, Brian Boehringer, Andy Ashby, Robb Nen

Levine signed with the Giants, Mendoza is supposedly close to signing with the Yanks, Zimmerman won't pitch until after the All-Star break and has already signed with the Rangers, and I believe Rey Sanchez signed with the Yankees as well.

Just leave Adkins in the pen and maybe he can have another "lucky" first half. :chair

I agree on Adkins, let's see how he does in spring. It's possible they will stretch him out to see if he can be an emergency starter. It will be tough for him to make the 25 man roster anyway unless the Sox go with one lefty in the pen. Vizcaino is deadly vs. lefty hitters but personally I like two southpaws in the pen.

Adkins is not the greatest but he has guts, will do what's asked and not complain, plus he was decent before wearing down late in the year.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Levine signed with the Giants, Mendoza is supposedly close to signing with the Yanks, Zimmerman won't pitch until after the All-Star break and has already signed with the Rangers, and I believe Rey Sanchez signed with the Yankees as well.

Just leave Adkins in the pen and maybe he can have another "lucky" first half.  :chair

Last thing from rotoworld about levine is this. Is it somewhere else that i have missed?

Tigers declined RHP Al Levine's $1.1 million option for 2005.

He receivies a $100,000 buyout. Levine had a rough first half last season, but he had a 3.34 ERA after the All-Star break. He's been a very solid middle reliever for the last half dozen years, so he should get $1 million from another team in 2005.

Zimmerman is also not signed yet?

MLB has rejected the minor league deal agreed to by Jeff Zimmerman and the Rangers. This isn't a surprise. The Rangers will re-sign Zimmerman at a later date. It will likely happen next month. Under baseball procedures, when spring training starts a team can ask the other 29 major league clubs to allow it to re-sign a former player to a minor league deal. Zimmerman still wouldn't be eligible to play in the majors until May 1, but that's a non-issue.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Last thing from rotoworld about levine is this. Is it somewhere else that i have missed?

Zimmerman is also not signed yet?

Do I have to do this again?

:P

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...&type=printable

Briefly: The Giants have thrown another arm into the bullpen mix, signing 36-year-old right-hander Al Levine to a minor-league contract and inviting him to spring training. Levine had a 4.58 ERA in 65 games for Detroit last season and owns a 3.85 ERA in 10 big-league seasons.

As for Zimmerman, I missed the MLB's decision to reject the minor league deal.

Very good pickup in my opinion. The Sox have there OF pretty filled up right now so instead Kenny was able to turn and get himself a good future outfielder with a lot of talent.

Obviously he's still very raw, but age regardless, it isn't like the guy has a few seasons in the minors so there is no reason to look negatively at his age.

My guess is he starts at Winston Salem but he could very well get rushed to Bham, especially if Anderson starts the year in AAA. I'm assuming Sweeney will be in Bham.

This Owens kind of sounds like he could be a 26 or 27 year old prospect here. Very little experience playing pro baseball, and he quit after his sophomore year in high school?

Considering Escobar cost us nothing, this is a very good trade. Escobar had no place on the roster, and Owens may have a bright future. Almost feels reminiscent to the Singleton for Harris trade.