Spring Training photos thread

santo=dorf

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smile on Frank's face is awesome.

For some of you more medically inclined people....for a right handed batter which calf would be more important in generating a swing? I would tend to think the right but I may be mixed up.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

For some of you more medically inclined people....for a right handed batter which calf would be more important in generating a swing? I would tend to think the right but I may be mixed up.

It's his left leg, his swing puts a tremendous amount of torque on the front leg and that's where he generates most of his power from.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

For most right handed hitters I would say that the right calf would be more important. It's the drive leg. You generate yous power there.

For Thomas though, I would say it's about even.. He has all of his weight on the back(right) foot as the pitch is being delivered, but does exactly the opposite at the point of contact. Often you will see him completely off of his back leg at the point of contact. He needs that plant foot to be healty. He might put more wieght on that front foot than any player in baseball.

It is the right leg. I have had a Minor League hitting coach teach me this. The back leg to a hitter is his drive leg. It generates power and helps keep the back leg stabel and balanced. Weak calfs lower balance and the result is some goofy looking K's.

It's ordinarily the right leg but we all know Frank does not have an ordinary swing. If you watch, he shifts his weight forward earlier than most hitters and falls into the pitch. I've heard hitting coaches say they would never teach anyone to hit like Frank but it works for him somehow.

By the way, I love the warmups that Frank and others are sporting. Also, Frank was on the front of the Daily Illini sports section a couple days ago in full color and size.