Extreme skier pays the extreme price

YASNY

Good. f***ing moron.

Anytime one of these "extreme" athletes goes out and does something stupid and gets hurt or killed, they ought to just leave them wherever they go down to rot. These morons usually risk others lives just by doing the dumbs*** that they feel is necessary for them to do.

Jerkoff.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Good. f***ing moron.

Anytime one of these "extreme" athletes goes out and does something stupid and gets hurt or killed, they ought to just leave them wherever they go down to rot. These morons usually risk others lives just by doing the dumbs*** that they feel is necessary for them to do.

Jerkoff.

That's a bit harsh.

Honestly, it's not like this guy was as stupid as some of the extreme advebture types. The guy was killed in an avalanche. He didn't ski off a mountain, he fell 30 feet from a cliff edge and had the misfortune of being under a slab of snow that broke loose.

Granted, that's the inherent danger of skiing or trekking in that environment, but most of the extreme sport fatalities are guys way more idiotic than this guy.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
That's a bit harsh.

Honestly, it's not like this guy was as stupid as some of the extreme advebture types.  The guy was killed in an avalanche.  He didn't ski off a mountain, he fell 30 feet from a cliff edge and had the misfortune of being under a slab of snow that broke loose.

I'm willing to bet that his skiing is what started the avalanche in the first place.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
I'm willing to bet that his skiing is what started the avalanche in the first place.

That may be. There are a dozen or so foot trekkers that are killed in avalanches every year, often experienced people who are usually aware of the conditions but are lost any way.

I don't put these people in even the same ballpark as the extreme rock climbers and base jumpers etc., that are just a funeral waiting to happen.

Some people are cut from a different cloth thatn the rest of us. There are many people that take chances and risks that most of us wouldn't even consider. Of course, when you stop and think about it, it's those type of people who have made discoveries, innovations and advances throughout the history of man.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 02:27 AM)
Of course, when you stop and think about it, it's those type of people who have made discoveries, innovations and advances throughout the history of man.

The first man to see he mainland recede to the horizon

The first tribe to harmonize with fish, bird, and bison

The first to cross the desert to see what lies beyond

The first to climb the mountain to be closer to their god

These brave pioneers reigned in their fears

And dared to touch the sky

So why won't I even try?

If no mortal fear of freefall kept Icarus from flying

Then why must I build this Great Wall to 'ere keep me from trying

It's time to loose' the shackles that keep us from our fate

To tear apart the scaffold and bear up our own weight

Brave pioneers reigned in their fears

And dared to touch the sky

So why can't I even try?

Seanaches, shamen, soothsayers, seers

Your time is past, yet your time draws near

Old story tellers breathe life to the past

For I'm ready to learn all your secrets

At last...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Some people are cut from a different cloth thatn the rest of us.  There are many people that take chances and risks that most of us wouldn't even consider.  Of course, when you stop and think about it, it's those type of people who have made discoveries, innovations and advances throughout the history of man.

Let's not compare an "extreme" skier to a Jonas Salk, Louis Pasteur, or Albert Einstein.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Let's not compare an "extreme" skier to a Jonas Salk, Louis Pasteur, or Albert Einstein.

It's the "living on the edge" frame of mind that I am referring. Different folks express that in different ways. In other words, people that called this guy stupid would probably also call Lewis & Clark stupid for thinking they could walk across the North American continent and get back to civilization in one piece.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
It's the "living on the edge" frame of mind that I am referring.  Different folks express that in different ways.  In other words, people that called this guy stupid would probably also call Lewis & Clark stupid for thinking they could walk across the North American continent and get back to civilization in one piece.

But Lewis and Clark didn't do it because they thought it would be cool, get them laid, or otherwise get them thier '15 minutes' of fame.