Religious Debate

LowerCaseRepublican

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Some parts of Christianity believe that baptism is essential in being connected to God.  In fact many things that Christ did in the bible were to serve as examples of what future generations were to do.  A good example is the last supper/communion.  Jesus had no reason to partake in a remembrence of himself.  He held the last supper to teach the disiples how to do it, and how to teach others.  I think the baptism falls under this category.

It could also be viewed in another humanizing of Christ.  A big emphasis of things on earth is that he had to live like man so that he could redeem them.  Baptism was one of many aspects of that.  He couldn't be considered human if he didn't partake in their rites.  (which BTW is one of the reasons that I believe Christ was probably married, but that is debate for a different day)

I agree with you on Christ being married, and for exactly the reason you cite. To say nothing od the fact that a 30 year old unmarried man in that time and that place would have been scorned and not taken seriously.