Cardinals might need Willie Harris?

Jabroni

I was just on the phone with my dad in Arizona, I asked him about the Diamondbacks.

He is frustrated with knowing a bit too much about the Diamondbacks for his liking, he'd rather have all the White Sox news but seeing as he lives outside of Phoenix, gets the Phoenix paper every day and has a weird phobia about the internet, that's the way it goes. But I digress ...

He said they are happy they got Cruz Jr. but all the media expects a trade later on in spring training because they have a logjam in the infield. Reading the columns and listening to a bit of sports radio out there, Arizona management seems to have fallen out of love with Alex Cintron.

That of course doesn't mean he'll be traded but it's a possibility.

My dad also made a comment which made sense to me. He said:

"If Uribe gets hurt, they're f***ed." :lol: He is surprised they haven't brought a veteran backup in by now.

I think a KC-Chi trade with Willie for Graffs might work. Our "rivalry" is not all that heated at the moment and it would make a lot of sense on both sides. I don't think the division would get in the way a lot with these two teams. Now the Twins or Cleveland on the other hand....

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I like Cintron a lot.  If he were brought in here, I would be in love with the move.

What would it take though?

Sounds like a reliever.

From CBSsportsline:

"The Diamondbacks have some interest in bringing in at least one more reliever, preferably a left-hander, to augment the bullpen, says the Arizona Republic. The team apparently had interest in Astros right-hander Tim Redding, but Houston has been asking for either closer Greg Aquino or setup man Mike Koplove"

What positions does Cintron play? Is he a SS, 2B, and 3B, a superutility guy? And, he's a lefty, correct?

I looked over his minor league stats, seems like an up and down guy. But, like you've been saying, Jim, maybe a change of scenery guy?

However, I don't see a Harris for Cintron deal going down. Doesn't make a lot of sense for 'Zona. It'll take a Munoz/Adkins, like Beck has been preaching, to get it done...

Yes, he plays all three IF positions, 2B, SS, 3B and is a switch hitter. Does very well against left handed pitching.

He is a young guy so I'm not so sure the D-Backs are that anxious to move him but they are deep in the infield and not deep in the bullpen.

It is interesting to note the Sox and D-Backs train together so they know each others personnel very well.

I agree it's doubtful the D-Backs have any interest in Willie Harris, only because they're already deep in 2B guys. As for Harris's ability to play CF ... now that they have Cruz Jr. I don't see a fit there.

One thing is certain, I can see the White Sox definitely being interested in a player like Cintron, but many other teams would be as well.

I'd like to see Willie still here. He could be a good super sub. The Willie bashing is unnecessary.

There is some Willie bashing going on, and there is also a group who is watching what Guillen says and what Williams has done.

Right or wrong, Guillen has had issues with Harris. Is Guillen past those issues? Who knows. KW went out and acquired a $2.4M 2nd baseman from halfway across the world, that is not a strong supportive statement of Harris.

Supersub? I question that, and doubt it. Harris plays 2B and CF. That's it. He is not a Mark McLemore guy or a Chone Figgins or even a Tony Graffanino who can capably play several positions.

They may very well keep him but how he would get much more than 200 AB's I can't see. Harris at this stage is not suited for a bench role, most of his success came when he played a lot. The only way he will lose that inconsistency problem is by playing a lot ... not by being a substitute. You can bring in a guy as a safety net for Iguchi who can also be a safety net for Uribe and Crede. A guy who can play all 3 positions and is more major league proven than Ozuna and Valdez.

I'm not sure some of you guys are realizing the amount of "pull" that Ozzie Guillen has in terms of personnel. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is. And if Guillen doesn't think a guy fits, that guy is replaced. If Guillen were happy with Harris, Iguchi is not signed.

The key is to find a guy who can step in without missing a beat if Uribe or Crede or Iguchi goes down with a long term injury. One guy. Not two or three guys, they do not have room. I think the Sox will see if Pablo Ozuna or Wilson Valdez can somehow be that guy. But remember, the White Sox have a GM who likes to upgrade. If he can upgrade over Pablo Ozuna or Wilson Valdez (shouldn't be that hard to do and I have no beef with either guy), he will definitely do it.

Personally I will be quite surprised if Willie Harris is on the White Sox by 3/31. Not Harris bashing, just reading between the lines.

I'm not sure some of you guys are realizing the amount of "pull" that Ozzie Guillen has in terms of personnel. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is. And if Guillen doesn't think a guy fits, that guy is replaced. If Guillen were happy with Harris, Iguchi is not signed.

There is no denying the fact that Ozzie has significant "pull" in the organization. It is somewhat shocking to me that he has been able to have such an influence on the organization in such a short period of time. Kenny must have a lot of respect for Ozzie and his baseball knowledge and instincts. When Ozzie was hired, many people thought that this was an example of the Sox being cheap. In some people's minds it was nothing more than a publicity ploy and Ozzie would nothing more than a figurehead that would kowtow to KW. It's turns out that this is not the case as Guillen's opinions are certainly respected and acted upon by the powers that be.

There is no denying the fact that Ozzie has significant "pull" in the organization.  It is somewhat shocking to me that he has been able to have such an influence on the organization in such a short period of time.  Kenny must have a lot of respect for Ozzie and his baseball knowledge and instincts.  When Ozzie was hired, many people thought that this was an example of the Sox being cheap.  In some people's minds it was nothing more than a publicity ploy and Ozzie would nothing more than a figurehead that would kowtow to KW.  It's turns out that this is not the case as Guillen's opinions are certainly respected and acted upon by the powers that be.

Yes, agree. I had to remind myself that Guillen and KW knew each other from way back when ... and the other factor that both men are very close to Reinsdorf on a personal level. Reinsdorf has had both guys under his wing and helped them succeed for many years. Those are the three guys who make the decisions, they are the power brokers in the organization.

They are of course not all on equal footing but Guillen is definitely in the mix, and in a big way. Much more so than many major league managers, due to his close relationship with KW and Reinsdorf. It's good business. Have a reporting structure but bring in people you trust and whose opinions you will listen to, and value.

Williams and Guillen are definitely on the same page as to how they want this team built and how they want them to play, and what they expect. They are not afraid to move guys out either. Again, I think they have just not found the right taker for Harris at this point.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
Yes, he plays all three IF positions, 2B, SS, 3B and is a switch hitter.  Does very well against left handed pitching.

He is a young guy so I'm not so sure the D-Backs are that anxious to move him but they are deep in the infield and not deep in the bullpen.

It is interesting to note the Sox and D-Backs train together so they know each others personnel very well.

I agree it's doubtful the D-Backs have any interest in Willie Harris, only because they're already deep in 2B guys.  As for Harris's ability to play CF ... now that they have Cruz Jr. I don't see a fit there.

One thing is certain, I can see the White Sox definitely being interested in a player like Cintron, but many other teams would be as well.

Thanks for the info Jim, I couldn't remember if he played all 3 positions or not.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Sounds like a reliever.

From CBSsportsline:

"The Diamondbacks have some interest in bringing in at least one more reliever, preferably a left-hander, to augment the bullpen, says the Arizona Republic. The team apparently had interest in Astros right-hander Tim Redding, but Houston has been asking for either closer Greg Aquino or setup man Mike Koplove"

With the pitching depth the Sox have in the pen...I might make Munoz and Adkins for Cintron...but that seems like the Sox are giving up too much and not getting enough in return, especially considering he would be used primarily as a utility IF.

Not sure exactly.

I like Cintron a lot...but I'm not sure if we do have the pieces necessary to trade for him, right now, while also getting a fair value in return.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 06:21 AM)
With the pitching depth the Sox have in the pen...I might make Munoz and Adkins for Cintron...but that seems like the Sox are giving up too much and not getting enough in return, especially considering he would be used primarily as a utility IF. 

Not sure exactly.

I like Cintron a lot...but I'm not sure if we do have the pieces necessary to trade for him, right now, while also getting a fair value in return.

I agree. Adkins and Munoz might be too much. Both should be able to pitch in the majors to start the yr on another team. But something along the lines of say Adkins and Ryan Meaux, or Munoz and Matt Smith/ Josh Fields. One guy who'd start the yr in the bigs, another guy for AAA. While I'd like to see the sox part ways with Joe B, and include him in a deal w/ say adkins or Munoz, I'm not sure Ari. would take him [though he could be a decent 4th, 5th OFer for them]

I found this on Cintron from BA's 2002 Prospect Handbook: #21. With their signing of Clayton and Counsell, it looks like the D-Backs think Cintron is more this UTL guy than the SS who hit over .300 in 2003. If that's the case, then trading him for 2 guys who can make their 25 man roster would seem steep.

"After topping this list a year ago, Cintron hit .292 in AAA and even received a couple of major league callups. But he didn't convince scouts he was worthy of anywhere close to top billing again, as most now believe his skills are best suited for a utility role. He has proven to be a tough out w/ outstanding bat control, but otherwise his offensive profile is similar to that of... Alex Cora. Cintron has 13 homers and a .379 SLG in 1866 ab's. He rarely walks and thus possesses mediocre on base ability. He doesn't possess the actions of a natural SS and is outgrowing the position. As his legs get thicker he's losing the quickness to make tough plays in the hole or up the middle. His arm is above average but he has trouble reading hops. The D-backs aren't strong in the middle of the diamond though Cintron doesn't look like he'll be the answer. His ability to put the ball in play and experience at three positions give him a shot at a career as a utilityman."

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
I'd like to see Willie still here. He could be a good super sub. The Willie bashing is unnecessary.

Willie bashing...in this thread?

Man, you ain't seen nothing yet. :P

This is child's play compaired to most Willie bashing fests (more times than not, spearheaded by yours truly).

Guillen says in the papers today that Harris and Iguchi will compete for the starting job ... interesting.

Not sure I believe that, but there's nothing wrong with competition.

We still need a way to find out if Harris has any minor league options left. That may very well factor into some decisions.