Problems with national media

ptatc

Does anyone else have XM radio? I love the new 24/7 MLB station. However today Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy were interviewing Mark Mulder. They asked him that since he was a Cardinal now "was he a Cubs or Sox fan." Mulder responded "I was a Sox fan". Dibble said "you are just playing up to the Cardinal fans there are no White Sox fans, I know because I played for the Sox, there are no White Sox fans."

It's this perception by the national media of "Chicago is all Cubs" that drives me crazy.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Does anyone else have XM radio? I love the new 24/7 MLB station. However today Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy were interviewing Mark Mulder.  They asked him that since he was a Cardinal now "was he a Cubs or Sox fan." Mulder responded "I was a Sox fan". Dibble said "you are just playing up to the Cardinal fans there are no White Sox fans, I know because I played for the Sox, there are no White Sox fans."

It's this perception by the national media of "Chicago is all Cubs" that drives me crazy.

We've discussed this topic too many times. This is the way it is always going to be. Deal with it.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
We've discussed this topic too many times.  This is the way it is always going to be.  Deal with it.

I'm happy to see you're going to roll over. I for one will fight for Sox to convince people otherwise.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm happy to see you're going to roll over. I for one will fight for Sox to convince people otherwise.

Do you really care that much about the media? Baseball isnt about what the media thinks (apparently you think it is). I would much rather enjoy watching the sox games this season than worrying what the media thinks. Have fun convincing the media to think otherwise. It wont help us win so i could care less.

Edited by Chisoxmatt

It didn't used to be this way. In the 50's and 60's Chicago was decidedly a Sox town. That started to change when Leo Durocher came to town. By 1969 and 70 the Sox future in Chicago was shaky. Dick Allen almost singlehandedly saved the franchise and both teams were for the most part lousy in the 70's. When the Sox won the division in 83 it was a really big deal all around. The Sox flopped in 84 but actually had higher attendance than the division winning Cubs. However that year was a turning point. Wrigley Field area gentrification was picking up steam and Harry Caray mania was too. For the last two decades it's evolved to the sad point we are now. Go outside of Chicago and the Sox virtually do not exist and when folks find out you're from Chicago they're shocked when you tell them you don't like the Cubs. They look at you like you just cooked the Easter Bunny.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Dibble said "you are just playing up to the Cardinal fans there are no White Sox fans, I know because I played for the Sox, there are no White Sox fans."

Too bad Mulder didn't b**** slap his ass.

And for the record Rob..... there are plenty of Sox fans..... just no Rob Dibble fans to be seen at USCF ya mope.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
It didn't used to be this way. In the 50's and 60's Chicago was decidedly a Sox town. That started to change when Leo Durocher came to town. By 1969 and 70 the Sox future in Chicago was shaky. Dick Allen almost singlehandedly saved the franchise and both teams were for the most part lousy in the 70's. When the Sox won the division in 83 it was a really big deal all around. The Sox flopped in 84 but actually had higher attendance than the division winning Cubs. However that year was a turning point. Wrigley Field area gentrification was picking up steam and Harry Caray mania was too. For the last two decades it's evolved to the sad point we are now. Go outside of Chicago and the Sox virtually do not exist and when folks find out you're from Chicago they're shocked when you tell them you don't like the Cubs. They look at you like you just cooked the Easter Bunny.

Sad, but true.

And I'm sure you've dicussed this, but 96 out of 100 "Cubs fans" you see in different cities have never been to a Cubs game.

Speaking of national media stuff I was wondering if anyone watched the "Fantasy 411" show on mlb.com? I hate to rip on these guys because I know it doesn't really matter but I have to wonder how these people have a job when they seem so clueless.

They were discussing the starting rotation and they completely skipped over Garcia. They didn't even mention his name. I love their fantasy analysis. Wow.

I didn't hear the interview, but that was probably Dibble saying that more tongue-in-cheek. He was one of the few guys that really gave the Sox props on Baseball Tonight telecasts, plus I've heard him mention how he enjoyed playing for the Sox when he was here. He wasn't like that pud Mike Greenberg who made that idiotic statement that the White Sox don't matter in Chicago.