Iguchi and El Duque News

DBAHO

Just some tidbits here;

A rival executive who scouted White Sox 2B Tadahito Iguchi in Japan predicts that Iguchi will bat .290, hit 15 to 18 homers and play above-average defense. G.M. Ken Williams prefers to deflect talk of numbers, but says, "Is he going to hit close to .300? More than likely. Will he have a high on-base percentage? I believe so. Will he hit the ball out of the ballpark, drive in runs, steal bases and play good defense? Yes. He's got the complete package."

Iguchi will face the same defensive transition coming from Japan as the Mets' Kaz Matsui did last season, but the executive says he'll benefit from the stellar work of Roger Bossard, the White Sox's groundskeeper. "He'll get the truest outs in the game at home," the exec says. ...

Here's Williams on his newest addition to the rotation, RHP Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez: "We've got 60 players in camp. Half are right around 25. This guy is 35, and he comes into camp as the best physical specimen we have. The doctors keep raving about the what kind of shape he's in." ...

After reading the piece on El Duque and Contreras and this bit on Iguchi and El Duque, I'm feeling rather spiffy today.

Wow. Those two pieces really made me feel a little better on two or three of the biggest question marks on the roster.

Who knows, maybe this is the year El Duque stays healthy.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Randy had knee surgery a year or 2 back. Schilling hurt his arm. Those guys are still pitching. I don't know why some people act as if you're past 32, you're done with. That's not true at all.

I didn't ask how many surgeries they had. I asked how many arm surgeries they had.

And I was also talking about RJ and Clemens.

Fact be told, they also have more god given talent. Not everyone can throw it in the 95-98 MPH, touching 100 range either...they still can.

No need to compare our pitchers to the likes of Clemens and RJ, we have what we have, and everyone knows, if healthy, El Duque will be lights out for us.

Bottom line is we have a better staff this year than last year, and a more balanced team that doesn't have to lock in and rely on the home run. I'm happy with what we have...would I like a 200M budget, yes, but we don't.

If these guys are winning this year, nobody will be talking about their age.

I'd say more, but from the looks of it, your baby picture avatar will kill me. :nono

-y2

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I didn't ask how many surgeries they had.  I asked how many arm surgeries they had.

And I was also talking about RJ and Clemens.

Fact be told, they also have more god given talent.  Not everyone can throw it in the 95-98 MPH, touching 100 range either...they still can.

Randy had knee surgery a year or 2 back. Schilling hurt his arm. Those guys are still pitching. I don't know why some people act as if you're past 32, you're done with. That's not true at all.

For the simple fact, Randy and Schilling were good b4 getting injuried.. Contreases has never been good, for long stretches.

Lets see the numbers b4 we start comparing them to great pitchers of our time.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
What about Schillings ankle? That is a big deal. I think he will be healthy, yet there's always a lil chance.

The ankle surgery is really no big deal. The tendons around the outside of his ankle came loose from their tunnel and the surgeon needed to tie them down. It was a big deal during the WS because there was insufficient time for the incision to heal that's where the blood came from.

Edited by ptatc

The main reason I bring up arm injuries and surgeries over others is simply due to the fact that arm injuries almost always lead to a pitcher's pure stuff becoming worse. Knee and leg injuries may reduce velocity to some degree because the pitcher is not able to push off the mound with as much power and force as usual, but that will not effect velocity on pitches nearly as much as an arm injury will.

Case in point, when El Duque came into the league, he was around the 89-92 MPH range, or maybe more...I can't recall exactly. Now he is around the 85-88 range...some of it is due to his age(48 year olds tend to throw it a little softer then 32 year olds), and some is due to some surgery he has had. When RJ and Clemens and Schilling came into the league, they were around the 97-100 range, and still are...a lot of that is due to their great physical condition, a lot is due to advanced medical science, a lot is due to good pitching motions, and a lot is due to flat out luck.

However, to compare any of our pitchers to any of the top 10 in the majors is silly. The only two with the stuff to do so are Freddy and Contreras, and I don't invision that happening any time soon.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
The main reason I bring up arm injuries and surgeries over others is simply due to the fact that arm injuries almost always lead to a pitcher's pure stuff becoming worse.  Knee and leg injuries may reduce velocity to some degree because the pitcher is not able to push off the mound with as much power and force as usual, but that will not effect velocity on pitches nearly as much as an arm injury will.

Case in point, when El Duque came into the league, he was around the 89-92 MPH range, or maybe more...I can't recall exactly.  Now he is around the 85-88 range...some of it is due to his age(48 year olds tend to throw it a little softer then 32 year olds), and some is due to some surgery he has had.  When RJ and Clemens and Schilling came into the league, they were around the 97-100 range, and still are...a lot of that is due to their great physical condition, a lot is due to advanced medical science, a lot is due to good pitching motions, and a lot is due to flat out luck.

However, to compare any of our pitchers to any of the top 10 in the majors is silly.  The only two with the stuff to do so are Freddy and Contreras, and I don't invision that happening any time soon.

Your point is basically true for the older pitchers but not necessarily for younger ones. Many young pitchers throw harder after surgeries. This is due to the fact that growing up many of themhad never really worked hard to stregthen thier throwing arm. After the rehab process, the arm is actually stronger than before. Roger Clemens is a good example of this.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Exactly. The biography of him written a few years ago says he was born in '65.

Sure, he ain't 35. But, like he said, nobody cares about your age until you're injured or not performing. Guys like Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson, and Roger Clemens go out there and perform at levels previously unheard of for people their ages, and if El Duque can stay healthy like he is predicting he will, he'll be just fine. And, he'll be pitching again in October, to boot.