Author Hunter S. Thompson fatally shoots himself

BobDylan

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
:o

Just as he makes an appearence in Apu's sig...

I loved reading Thompson.  But he was one crazy cat, and this isn't completely unexpected.

Holy s***...that's just...wow. He was such a great writer and such a badass. I wonder why he did this.

reading that honestly brought tears to my eyes

he was a living legend and now he's immortalized in his counter culture glory... he lives on in some.

turn your head around so your looking upside down at your screen.... here's my tribute to the great hunter s:

:usa

I was shocked to hear he did this, but only because it seems like it came too soon. You just knew the only way the Doc would leave this planet would be by his own doing. I wonder if he was sick with something, or if he had finally just gotten bored.

Gonna have to go home and listen to my old band now: Fear And Loathing. :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
Um, I'm gonna go with drugs on this one.

I'm going to go with "no way" on the drugs call. I sorry, but this is the last guy on the earth I would say you could claim drugs to being related to this. I would lay money on it you can pick from any of these answers:

1. He got bored with life.

2. He was diagnosed with some sickness and he wasn't going to let it take him down.

3. He got sick and tired with the way the world was.

But there is no way in hell it was a "he got loaded and accidentally shot himself" or a "he got loaded and dillusional" type of thing. The Doc had been through it all, and if that type of thing was going to happen to him, it would have happened back in the early 70's.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm going to go with "no way" on the drugs call. I sorry, but this is the last guy on the earth I would say you could claim drugs to being related to this. I would lay money on it you can pick from any of these answers:

1. He got bored with life.

2. He was diagnosed with some sickness and he wasn't going to let it take him down.

3. He got sick and tired with the way the world was.

But there is no way in hell it was a "he got loaded and accidentally shot himself" or a "he got loaded and dillusional" type of thing. The Doc had been through it all, and if that type of thing was going to happen to him, it would have happened back in the early 70's.

I didn't mean a drug induced suicide. I meant 1 and 3.......added to the effect that years of drug abuse had on his mind, probably led to severe depression.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
It's sad news, seemed quite a destructive character from what i've heard.

LOL!!! Slightly! The stories abound of his abuse of ALL substances, and his HUGE love for explosives and weapons. The man lived, and lived HARD. He more or less makes Keith Richards look like Mother Teresa.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
Um, I'm gonna go with drugs on this one.

At first I thought that he could have been high and "accidentally" had it happen but I do think that he probably got bored with life and took himself out. Sad too because he lived through the Nixon bastards, he could have made it through Bush as well.

And for anybody that hasn't read it, pick up "The Kingdom of Fear" by HST. If anything the story about the FBI visiting him as a child is worth the read alone.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
I've only read 'Fear and Loathing' and that was fantastic. 'The Rum Diarys' is on my list.

It's sad news, seemed quite a destructive character from what i've heard.

They're making a movie of The Rum Diary now too.

Starring Depp, Del Toro, Hartnett and Nolte.

Was doing some reading last night/this morning and some people said that he was in constant pain from broken bones and numerous surgeries. According to some he was almost immobile from all of this and he was really pissed off about being in so much pain & being pretty immobile. And supposedly there is going to be a press conference from the family in Aspen today.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Was doing some reading last night/this morning and some people said that he was in constant pain from broken bones and numerous surgeries.  According to some he was almost immobile from all of this and he was really pissed off about being in so much pain & being pretty immobile.  And supposedly there is going to be a press conference from the family in Aspen today.

Ironic that he couldn't find drugs to help that.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...2725327,00.html

If one of Hunter S. Thompson's last wishes comes true, the body of the late maverick journalist will be cremated this week and his ashes blasted from a cannon across his ranch in Woody Creek.

That will be the extent of Thompson's funeral, as outlined in his will, said George Tobia Jr., a Boston-based entertainment lawyer who has represented the author for the past 15 years.

Tobia said his client and friend didn't leave a suicide note, only obscure directions he had issued to friends and family in recent days. "This was definitely not spur of the moment," said Tobia, who plans to fly to Colorado today. "He arranged to have things dealt with, and he wanted his family close by, but he didn't want anyone to know - he didn't want anyone to try to stop him."

Tobia said he didn't know of anything specific that led to Thompson's suicide but noted the two had discussed it in the past.

He did say that the decision had nothing to do with the re- election of George W. Bush or the current trend in national politics, which provided a certain grist for Thompson's mill.

Nor did the writer have any significant financial problems. With his land, archives, royalties and other valuable, Tobia said, Thompson's estate is worth millions of dollars.

The best explanation, perhaps, is that in recent months Thompson had chronic pain from back surgery and an artificial hip.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...2725327,00.html

If one of Hunter S. Thompson's last wishes comes true, the body of the late maverick journalist will be cremated this week and his ashes blasted from a cannon across his ranch in Woody Creek.

That will be the extent of Thompson's funeral, as outlined in his will, said George Tobia Jr., a Boston-based entertainment lawyer who has represented the author for the past 15 years.

Tobia said his client and friend didn't leave a suicide note, only obscure directions he had issued to friends and family in recent days. "This was definitely not spur of the moment," said Tobia, who plans to fly to Colorado today. "He arranged to have things dealt with, and he wanted his family close by, but he didn't want anyone to know - he didn't want anyone to try to stop him."

Tobia said he didn't know of anything specific that led to Thompson's suicide but noted the two had discussed it in the past.

He did say that the decision had nothing to do with the re- election of George W. Bush or the current trend in national politics, which provided a certain grist for Thompson's mill.

Nor did the writer have any significant financial problems. With his land, archives, royalties and other valuable, Tobia said, Thompson's estate is worth millions of dollars.

The best explanation, perhaps, is that in recent months Thompson had chronic pain from back surgery and an artificial hip.

That man friggin' RULED!!! Having his ashes blasted out of a canon across his property, with no funeral, how friggin' cool is that guy? Even in death, he remains Doctor Gonzo! :headbang :snr