McCarthy wants Sox to take notice

Goldmember

linky

McCarthy wants Sox to take notice

By Scot Gregor Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Monday, February 21, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. - The "help wanted" sign came off the White Sox' starting rotation on Dec. 22, when Orlando "El Duque'' Hernandez signed a two-year, $8 million contract after his surgically repaired right shoulder was given a clean bill of health.

Hernandez joins Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, fellow Cuban Jose Contreras and Jon Garland, giving the Sox their most promising starting five in a decade.

Because of that, Brandon McCarthy knows he will be working at the minor-league level again this season, but that doesn't mean he has completely ruled out pitching for the White Sox.

"I know they've got the five spots locked up right now,'' McCarthy said. "My goal here in spring training is to make sure they're comfortable - if something happens during the season, they're comfortable choosing me to take that spot. Or at least have my name in that mix.''

He hasn't even pitched batting practice yet, but McCarthy has been glowingly praised by manager Ozzie Guillen on several occasions.

"That kid's been impressive,'' Guillen said. "The way he throws off the mound, you can see he knows what he's doing. Mentally, I think he's already ready to pitch in the big leagues. We'll give him a couple starts in spring training to see what he can do.''

A 17th-round pick in the 2002 draft, McCarthy made the Sox take notice last season when he combined to go 17-4 with a 3.14 ERA in 27 starts between Class A Kannapolis, Class A Winston-Salem and Class AA Birmingham.

Equally impressive, the 21-year-old McCarthy led all minor-league pitchers with 202 strikeouts.

"Moving up fast is something I wanted,'' McCarthy said. "I just tried to go out there and throw every five days, and I was learning on the fly.''

Guillen has been comparing McCarthy to a young Jack McDowell, the White Sox' last Cy Young Award winner (1993).

The most obvious similarity is physical. Much like McDowell, McCarthy is tall with a slight build. Since he is unable to blow fastballs past opposing hitters, McCarthy has relied on guile and poise during his rapid rise.

"I think it's just command,'' McCarthy said. "It's being able to get into a hitter's head and let him know that I can put any of my three pitches wherever I need to.''

McCarthy's best strikeout pitch is the curveball. He also throws a changeup and a 91-mph fastball.

"I think because of my arm angle and the length of my arm, the ball comes in and explodes on hitters,'' McCarthy said.

Born in California and raised in Colorado Springs, Colo., McCarthy could be excused for not knowing much about the Sox. But in his younger days he was a big fan of the South Siders in general, Frank Thomas in particular.

"I picked random teams, and I was the biggest Frank Thomas fan in the universe,'' McCarthy said. "I had everything he ever put out, everything he ever endorsed - the Big Hurt Fan Club - the whole nine yards.

"I remember, it was so funny, and my dad reminds me of this every day when I'm here, when I was 9, 10 years old, I'd sit there and read the paper, get the box score and just think how old I'd have to be to play with Frank Thomas, and how old he'd have to be.

"To be here, it's quite a dream come true, and that little kid inside of me is kind of jumping up and down right now.''

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
If I had to guess... Diaz, then Munoz or maybe Adkins?

I disagree, I think it would be Dustin Hermanson.

I like what I read about McCarthy, though, and all I can suggest to him is "keep yourself ready", because it doesn't take long in the majors for things to go wrong, and before you know it, the phones in the minors are ringing off the hook.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I disagree, I think it would be Dustin Hermanson.

I like what I read about McCarthy, though, and all I can suggest to him is "keep yourself ready", because it doesn't take long in the majors for things to go wrong, and before you know it, the phones in the minors are ringing off the hook.

I am guessing that Hermanson is around as more of an insurance policy for Shingo vs 5th starter. But there is no arguing the Sox have more depth for righties in the pen vs lefties or major league ready starters.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
I am guessing that Hermanson is around as more of an insurance policy for Shingo vs 5th starter.  But there is no arguing the Sox have more depth for righties in the pen vs lefties or major league ready starters.

That's also possible. Hermanson is quite versatile, and I think the Sox got him to be there in literally every scenario. He could wind up doing a little bit of everything at different points in the season, much like Sean Lowe did for us - except Hermanson's got the goods to be a closer, which Lowe didn't.

Let's not rush B-Mac up here right away. Let the boy get some meat on his bones and some experience under his belt before he turns into the next Jon Rauch. This kid can be the real deal; let's allow him come into his own in Birmingham and Chrarlotte for a couple of years and then when we need him, he'll be ready.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Let's not rush B-Mac up here right away.  Let the boy get some meat on his bones and some experience under his belt before he turns into the next Jon Rauch.  This kid can be the real deal; let's allow him come into his own in Birmingham and Chrarlotte for a couple of years and then when we need him, he'll be ready.

Meh, Rauch just sucked. Had nothing to do with being rushed to the majors, IMO.

Some highly touted prospects are just that - highly touted prospects. When 95% of them fail miserably, people like to try to find excuses or pass the blame off on something. Most of the time, though, they just don't have what it takes to be a big league ball player. And I'd wager that a great majority of the time, it has to do with mental make-up. Dan Wright didn't have it. Jon Rauch didn't have it. So far, Jon Garland hasn't had it. And countless other prospects on different teams didn't have it.

Anyone know if McCarthy is metally tough? Or is he a mental midget?

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Meh, Rauch just sucked.  Had nothing to do with being rushed to the majors, IMO.

Some highly touted prospects are just that - highly touted prospects.  When 95% of them fail miserably, people like to try to find excuses or pass the blame off on something.  Most of the time, though, they just don't have what it takes to be a big league ball player.  And I'd wager that a great majority of the time, it has to do with mental make-up.  Dan Wright didn't have it.  Jon Rauch didn't have it.  So far, Jon Garland hasn't had it.  And countless other prospects on different teams didn't have it.

Anyone know if McCarthy is metally tough?  Or is he a mental midget?

Mental make up has something to do with it but so does injuries. Rauch had a fairly severe shoulder injury in the minors and was never the same after. Of course maybe it was mental also. Some players don't have the mental make up to fully recover from the injury.

Anyone know if McCarthy is metally tough?  Or is he a mental midget?

Supposedly his strongest attribute is his makeup. From what I hear and read, he's a real student of the game, humble, and a hard worker. All good signs.

I'm hoping to see him pitch in person in a few weeks.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Supposedly his strongest attribute is his makeup.  From what I hear and read, he's a real student of the game, humble, and a hard worker.  All good signs.

I'm hoping to see him pitch in person in a few weeks.

not sure where i read it or exactly what it said, but it was from an opposing player who said that everytime he would go out against mccarthy he brought a different approach, and that everytime mccarthy would strike him out. he said mccarthy was way ahead mentally and knew before the games each hitter better than anyone. His biggest knock is that hes skinny for his height...6-7 190. Though he has put on some weight. heres baseball america's scouting report...

"Background: Scouts John Kazanas and Joe Butler did an excellent job when they locked onto McCarthy after he had gone 12-0 and struck out 14 per nine innings in junior college in 2002. He led the Rookie-level Arizona and Pioneer leagues in strikeouts in his first two pro seasons, then topped the entire minors with 202 whiffs in 2004.

Strengths: McCarthy’s best pitch is a two-seam fastball that generally parks around 90 mph, and he has a four-seamer that hits 92-93. He also has a plus curveball. His height allows him to deliver pitches on a steep downward plane, and he throws strikes at will with an easily repeatable delivery.

Weaknesses: McCarthy has sailed to Double-A without a hitch. He can get better with his changeup, and he has started to make progress and use it more often.

The Future: Chicago couldn’t find a fifth starter in 2004, and McCarthy could jump into consideration with a strong spring. He’ll probably return to Double-A but won’t stay long if he picks up where he left off."

Edited by daa84

a friend of mine that has hit against mccarthy said the exact same thing when i asked him about bmac.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
not sure where i read it or exactly what it said, but it was from an opposing player who said that everytime he would go out against mccarthy he brought a different approach, and that everytime mccarthy would strike him out. he said mccarthy was way ahead mentally and knew before the games each hitter better than anyone."

Edited by hi8is

The biggest mistake the Sox are making is not giving Cotts starts in spring training. Neal Cotts has all the ability to be a good starting pitcher and It sucks that he's kind of stuck in a rut.

I think he'll be a good reliever, but no doubt in my mind that he'd be a good starting pitcher if given the chance.

Bmac's fastball has just been getting better ever season (velocity wise) and he has great control of all three of his pitches. I think Rex says it best (because he's seen him pitch the most) in regards to Brandon learning to waste a pitch or two and I think he's even made reference to that.

I think the big reason the Sox previous guys failed was because they got themselves into trouble control wise and when your a rookie making your first few starts your gonna be in deep s*** when your constantly behind in the count.

Bmcc isn't going to find himself in that case and his changeup should be even better. This past season was the year his changeup really took off and is at least an average pitch already and when mixed with his heater and curve its a real nice thing to have.

As far as who is ahead of him, Diaz and Cotts would obviously but same with Hermanson. I don't think Adkins can start nor can Munoz (at the major league level that is). However, later on in the season I think Bmac moves to the top because quite frankly if he's pitching like he can the Sox are better off putting Bmac in the rotation and allowing the Sox to keep Hermy in the bullpen simply because then you don't mess as much with chemistry.

Thats soley because I think the Sox are going to have a STELLAR bullpen and I love that fact. The only thing I worry about is if somehow Shingo takes a dump because then the Sox are left without a good closer.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
The biggest mistake the Sox are making is not giving Cotts starts in spring training.  Neal Cotts has all the ability to be a good starting pitcher and It sucks that he's kind of stuck in a rut.

I think he'll be a good reliever, but no doubt in my mind that he'd be a good starting pitcher if given the chance.

I just wonder with Ozzie around if he's ever going to get that chance to start, because I think Ozzie has pretty much made his mind up that he's going to be pitching out of the pen as a lefty. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him back down at Charlotte starting, working on developing his other pitches, but that probably ain't going to happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
I just wonder with Ozzie around if he's ever going to get that chance to start, because I think Ozzie has pretty much made his mind up that he's going to be pitching out of the pen as a lefty. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him back down at Charlotte starting, working on developing his other pitches, but that probably ain't going to happen.

I think last year was tough and one of the problems with having a team thats always in contention is developing players. You can't let a guy like Cotts run out every 5th day and take a shot on him getting shelled because your in it for the playoffs (which is a good thing).

I know a lot of teams have in the past (playoff contenders) let guys build confidence for a year or two in the pen. This may be a good plan for Cotts, especially because I think we'll see him put up good numbers this season. Then the Sox could shift him to the rotation in a year or two when another guy is available.

Its definately not bad to have depth and I think the Sox have that since I do anticipate at least a few starts missed (you have to).

The second I heard Rauch, who stands at 6'11" could barely hit 90mph on the gun, I knew he was a bust waiting to happen. With that kind of height, he should easily be able to generate enough force to throw into the mid 90's. Unless you have Maddux like pinpoint accuracy, throwing less than 90 in the majors is a death knell.

Rauch found that out.

As for Cotts, I think he COULD be an exceptional pitcher if he doesn't rely so much on his funky fastball delivery. He needs to develop his curve more so he can get it over for strikes whenever he wants, but when you watch him pitch, his odd delivery which sometimes tricks batters isn't "odd enough", like say, El Duque's is to keep using it and getting away with it.

-y2

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
The second I heard Rauch, who stands at 6'11" could barely hit 90mph on the gun, I knew he was a bust waiting to happen.  With that kind of height, he should easily be able to generate enough force to throw into the mid 90's.  Unless you have Maddux like pinpoint accuracy, throwing less than 90 in the majors is a death knell.

Rauch found that out.

Exactly. Thats why I laugh whenever anyone tries to claim that trading Rauch was some kind of big loss. The guy was a headcase and I don't think he's ever going to amount to anymore then a curtain jerker 5th starter.