trib. article on iguchi reporting

chisox2334

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen tried to make second baseman Tadahito Iguchi feel welcome on Monday as the Japanese All-Star prepares to play in the major leagues for the first time.

Iguchi, who was acquired in January and signed to a two-year, $4.95 million contract, reported to camp with more than a dozen Japanese media members following his every move. He is expected to start at second base when the season opens April 4.

Guillen pulled Iguchi, closer Shingo Takatsu and an interpreter away from the rest of the team -- and the media -- to express his hope that the Japanese players feel comfortable.

"They have a different culture. They have different ways. They look at the manager in a different way," Guillen said. "Most of the time (Japanese players) try to hide from the group, and they are seated by themselves.

"I want him to feel part of the team. I want him to know he is a member of the White Sox. I said, 'Don't look at me as a coach, look at me as a friend."'

Takatsu went through the process of joining an American team for the first time last year.

"(Takatsu) knows how we do it here," Guillen said. "When Shingo came in here he was in a shell. He was not opening up. I wouldn't say he was afraid, but he was worried about how he was going to do it here."

Takatsu responded by winning the closer job and saving 19 of 20 attempts.

Iguchi comes with high expectations after hitting .271 over eight years with Fukuoka in Japan, where he combined power and speed with 149 homers and 159 stolen bases.

Through his interpreter, Iguchi said he "wants to see a different baseball and play in the majors."

Meanwhile, the White Sox are trying to find a way to keep outfielder Aaron Rowand healthy, even if that means moving him to left field from center. Rowand chases after every loose ball and dives for anything within reach.

"I worry a little bit that when you play center field like Aaron, you've got a good chance to get hurt," Guillen said. "Every time he dives for the ball, every time he goes to the wall, I don't want him to miss playing time. We're going to talk about where it would be better for him to stay healthy and play all year long."

Where Rowand fits best will be determined starting Tuesday when the position players take the field for the first time after officially reporting Monday. Last season he batted .310 with 24 homers and 69 RBIs.

Chicago will watch what Rowand can do in left, and see how newly acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik fares in center field. Jermaine Dye will be playing right field.

In the pitching rotation, Jose Contreras has been moved up one spot to the No. 3 position, ahead of Orlando Hernandez.

One reason Guillen gave for the switch is to have Hernandez's opening start at division rival Minnesota.

"I think Contreras pitched really well when we played in Chicago, and El Duque has a lot of experience and he's a good road pitcher," Guillen said.

Chicago opens the season April 4 for a three-game home series against Cleveland before traveling to Minnesota and Cleveland.

Hernandez, who signed a two-year, $8 million deal in December, has a 31-21 career road record and a 4.21 ERA while pitching six seasons with the New York Yankees.

Contreras, picked up in July in a trade with the Yankees, moves behind opening day starter Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia. Jon Garland makes up the fifth spot. Contreras had a 1.65 ERA in home starts compared to a 4.33 mark away from home a year ago.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
great call starting the duke for the minny opener.

Thank you. ;)

I say Garland is the number 5, and Contreras is #4 but I would start Contreras on the 3rd game of the season because of how well he pitched against the Indians last season, and Orlando "Big Game pitcher" Hernandez should start the first game of the Twins series.

:bringit

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Wow, I didn't realize that Contreras had such a great home ERA (1.65).  That's very impressive.

No, somebody f***ed up.

At home with the Sox it was 4.13, and his ERA against the Indians last season was 1.22.

EDIT: The Article was refering to his 2003 season.

Edited by santo=dorf

Thank you.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 18, 2005--> 10:05 PM)

I say Garland is the number 5, and Contreras is #4 but I would start Contreras on the 3rd game of the season because of how well he pitched against the Indians last season, and Orlando "Big Game pitcher" Hernandez should start the first game of the Twins series.

Is this really Ozzie Guillen in drag? :lookatme :gosox2: