Justin Morneau's Offseason Problems

A tough offseason for the young Twinkies' slugger. Lavelle E. Neal (an avowed Southsider, BTW) in the Mpls Startribune:

FORT MYERS, FLA. -- The offseason wasn't kind to first baseman Justin Morneau, who will arrive at Twins spring training camp sometime this week coming off various illnesses.

Manager Ron Gardenhire said that since last season ended, Morneau had appendicitis, chicken pox and a lung infection that led to pneumonia.

"He's been sicker than a dog all winter long," Gardenhire said. "He's got to be behind. There's no doubt in my mind."

The club wanted to fly Morneau into camp over the weekend, but he was too sick to travel. Not good for someone expected to start at first base and hit at least 30 homers.

"He's had a heck of a winter," Gardenhire said. "We have to see how he is."

History suggests that Morneau should consider freezing himself in November and thawing out in February. A viral infection during the 2002 offseason caused him to lose 20 pounds. He then suffered a broken toe just before camp in 2003, causing Gardenhire to nickname him "Mour-toe."

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I take no pleasure in this. If we are going to beat them, we are going to have beat them even up

I know that's how a lot of people feel, but quite honestly, WHY do people feel that way?

If they lost Santana for the season tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear, hell, I may rejoice. Not that Santana is injured, but that it increases the chance of my team winning.

I mean, quite honestly, does anyone think that Twins fans feel that they won the division unrightly last year, and that they feel bad for doing it, because we lost Maggs and Frank for the year in late June/early July? Of course not. They took advantage of it, and ran away with the division.

Here's my logic. Win with no excuses. Sure, you don't cry over the misfortunes of other teams, every team is going to have some bad luck. However, I think this team needs to beat a healthy Minnesota team almost as a test. Just winning the division isn't the endgame. If we are good enough to beat a competitive Twins team, then we are good enough to at least be on the field with NY and Boston. Plus, I still like to think of baseball as a gentleman's game (not that it ever really was).