Pope: Gay marriage is 'evil'?

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Kiwanis isn't religiously affiliated. you're presupposing that every private "community" entity would be of religious nature.

I guess we should all stop buying girl scout cookies and boy scout popcorn so that we aren't funding these evil private organization...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Kiwanis isn't religiously affiliated. you're presupposing that every private "community" entity would be of religious nature.

I am presupposing that the religious groups will try their hardest to witness to the masses. I will also presuppose that fewer people will be administering to the needs, and the groups that do will all have a cause they will be promoting. I will also presuppose that smaller rural communities may have a harder time than bigger locals. I will presuppose that wealthier areas with more resources to give, will be less likely to encourage homeless and needy to visit their communities. Do you see people lined up in Lake Forest (TX or IL) or

The 6,300 citizens of Round Lake Park, a working class village near the Wisconsin border in far northern Lake County, have been affected by the recent economic slump just like everyone else in Illinois. They've watched jobs evaporate at nearby Baxter International and Motorola. They've seen fuel prices and health care costs go up. Some have put off needed repairs on their homes until finances look better.

No surprise, their town is in the same fix. About 99 percent residential with historically scarce business development, Round Lake Park has been tightening its budgets for the past several years. It has combined its police department with nearby Hainesville's to save money, and it has frozen wages of the village staff. But now, because it doesn't have the $14 million required to upgrade its sanitary sewer system, the village is facing a potential environmental lawsuit by the state that could cost more than twice the village's entire annual budget.

In a rotten economy, this is the sort of thing that can drive a small town mayor to distraction. "We're so used to stretching dollars, we just stretch them a little further," says Mayor Ila Bauer, a retired teacher who used to preside over high school business education classes. But the possibility of a big lawsuit is something altogether different, Bauer says. "I really don't know what we'd do. I absolutely don't know."

And BTW, I thought my last post was pretty damn funny. Notice the attempt to tie in their doctrine and service. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are awesome with their genealogy stuff.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I guess we should all stop buying girl scout cookies and boy scout popcorn so that we aren't funding these evil private organization...

So you are expecting Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to run a food pantry? You never answered when I asked where is the money going to come from and who will deliver the services. Will everyone who receives a $50 reduction in their taxes now send it to social services?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
So you are expecting Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to run a food pantry? You never answered when I asked where is the money going to come from and who will deliver the services. Will everyone who receives a $50 reduction in their taxes now send it to social services?

You're right I didn't answer.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
You're right I didn't answer.

Instead of using existing distribution points like grocery stores, we will create new systems. Instead of one organization tracking what benefits people receive, each group is on their own. Instead of people receiving benefits from one group, they will spend time coordinating from several different groups, taking time away from job searches, education, etc. And all this will be bought and paid by a fewer number of citizens. Will there be enough volunteers to operate shelters, food pantries, etc. during the day, or will they only be open at night and weekends? How will the local community group check to see if the person asking for help, truly needs it?

As much as I would like to see reforms, I don't see this working for the better.

We got this system because the old systems were not working.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
you mean soup kitchens?

and food banks, and other means of distribution. There are not enough right now if we pulled out even 30% and expected private organizations to pick up the slack.