Newpaper: Vikings trade Moss to Raiders

Newpaper: Vikings trade Moss to Raiders

The Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing a source and saying his agent has confirmed, says Oakland will receive the wide receiver in exchange for the seventh pick in this year's draft, LB Napoleon Harris and a low-round draft pick.

Courtesty the front page of CBSSportline.com...

I don't even know if robbed is enough for this trade. First of all WHY for the Raiders. They already have a good set of young receivers coming into their own, second of all WHY give up a top 10 pick, a very nice young LB, and another draft pick? Was someone else honestly going to give up anything close to that? I don't get it.

Vikings have to be ecstatic. They added a very solid LB and could end up drafting a high impact receiver like Mike Williams, and adding another decent player with the late pick. Raiders now created another hole on their team at LB instead of fixing a hole at RB through the draft. They now have too many WR's and a new hole at LB to go with the RB, QB, and OL holes, congrats.

The one thing with the Vikings is I think they could still use a star. I just don't think you can replace Moss with a draft pick at WR. It just doesn't usually work out that way, especially with this years WR class.

Thats not a knock on Edwards or Williams, but at the same time, they aren't Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald or Randy Moss (regardless of Moss sliding, I always thought and knew he'd be a STAR).

Long run its a good move for the Vikes, but they are going to have to add a WR somewhere. Stupid stupid for the Raiders. I guess it gives them a hell of an offense, but they still need some WR and obviously some defense.

At least its better then them getting Sapp and T. Washington this past offseason because that was freaking retarded. Moss is at least in his prime and will be around a while.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
They have some guy named Daunte.

He's pretty good  :D

How good is he though? I mean his play really went downhill when Moss was hurt. Personally I think he's good, but the team is a lot better off when you have a guy like Moss who can score on any one play.

He's the best receiver in the NFL and absolutely changes the way the defense plays and makes it easier for the other recievers to get open. The Vikes are going to have to deepen there WR core.

Mrob is good, but they need a #1 ahead of him and Burleson isn't bad, but those guys are all a bit worse with Moss in Oakland.

However, the Vikes did do a good job running the ball last year and that should help Daunte, especially since he should actually have a healthy backfield.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
How good is he though?  I mean his play really went downhill when Moss was hurt.  Personally I think he's good, but the team is a lot better off when you have a guy like Moss who can score on any one play.

He's the best receiver in the NFL and absolutely changes the way the defense plays and makes it easier for the other recievers to get open.  The Vikes are going to have to deepen there WR core. 

Mrob is good, but they need a #1 ahead of him and Burleson isn't bad, but those guys are all a bit worse with Moss in Oakland.

However, the Vikes did do a good job running the ball last year and that should help Daunte, especially since he should actually have a healthy backfield.

Moss didn't have a reception in weeks 7-11. In those weeks, Daunte's numbers...

Week 7 - 24-30, 183 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, QB rating of 103.2.

Week 8 - 24-41, 231 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, QB rating of 62.1

Week 9 - 16-19, 169 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, QB rating of 121.3

Week 10 - 27-44 363 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT, QB rating of 117.9

Week 11 - 22-32 233 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, QB rating of 97.5

So he wasn't horrible, but he wasn't real great either.

You also have to consider that the depth at WR in free agency is pretty solid this year(Derrick Mason, Laverneus Coles, Rod Gardner, among others), and you have some solid WR's in the draft, as always(they can look at Williams or Edwards, whichever WR the Bears don't take at 4, or they can look at Troy Williamson, Mark Clayton, or even Roddy White with their 2nd first rounder(though White would be a reach). I can also see them trying to take a sleeper type(Chris Henry, Larry Brackens, Vincent Jackson, among others)...or they could take both a receiver with their 2nd first rounder and get the sleeper type. They have so many ways to go about this right now that it is sick.

I think Minnesota has vaulted themselves to the favorite in the NFC North. They are still solid at WR and will get some type of replacement for Moss, and upgraded at a position where they were very weak last year, plus they will still likely upgrade the defense even further. With the depth they have at HB, they should seriously think about trading one of the backs(you would prefer Bennett over Moore and Smith) for another pick(for Bennett, probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder), and you continue to add depth defensively.

I love Moss as a player...I think he is the receiver you build a franchise around, and that he is untouchable when healthy, because he can hurt you in so many ways. But it had gotten to the point where he was becoming more of a distraction and less of a teammate, and they had to part ways. Getting what they did was not half bad.

Also...if Derrick Johnson falls past Cleveland...I invision him in the purple and gold next year.

i like this trade. mostly as a bears fan, you guys are looking at this the wrong way, moss is out as a viking one less purpal and gold problem. i like harris and a first round draft pick will help them, but when moss is on the feild that gets others open take away moss , nomore double team, if the pack stumbles, i see bears playoffs!