Bob Dylan rips "amatuers"

southsider2k5

Go ahead and talk about him because he makes you doubt,

Because he has denied himself the things that you can't live without.

Laugh at him behind his back just like the others do,

Remind him of what he used to be when he comes walkin' through.

He's the property of Jesus

Resent him to the bone

You got something better

You've got a heart of stone

Stop your conversation when he passes on the street,

Hope he falls upon himself, oh, won't that be sweet

Because he can't be exploited by superstition anymore

Because he can't be bribed or bought by the things that you adore.

Resent him to the bone

You got something better

When the whip that's keeping you in line doesn't make him jump,

Say he's hard-of-hearin', say that he's a chump.

Say he's out of step with reality as you try to test his nerve

Because he doesn't pay no tribute to the king that you serve.

Resent him to the bone

You got something better

You've got a heart of stone'cause

Say that he's a loser Ôcause he got no common sense

Because he don't increase his worth at someone else's expense.

Because he's not afraid of trying, 'cause he don't look at you and smile,

'Cause he doesn't tell you jokes or fairy tales, say he's got no style.

Resent him to the bone

You got something better

You can laugh at salvation, you can play Olympic games,

You think that when you rest at last you'll go back from where you came.

But you've picked up quite a story and you've changed since the womb.

What happened to the real you, you've been captured but by whom?

Resent him to the bone

You got something better

Dylan, eh, the guy never did much for me. Not sure why, I just never got into him. He has his material, I love the song "Isis", but I think he is a better writer, and to leave the recording to others who can interpret his stuff into something cooler. I'm odd like that, but I have always liked his material covered, and normally I HATE cover tunes.

Cobain shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as Dylan. I LOVED Bleach when it came out, but everything after that was crap. He gets more praise than he is worthy of, but I guess I have less problem with his being considered a great lyricist than I do when he is actually called a great guitarist! THAT is just f**ked.

I also think Dylans comment is too sweeping. I know of many bands that know exactly where they came from. I agree the top of the charts is full of BS, but I think he is being too sweeping with his slam.

Last, it's not the voice that turns me off of Dylan, after all, I am a Nikki Sudden fan. :D

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
Kurt Kobain had lots of issues with himself (duh) and I don't care what he said about his lyrics, the man spoke for a generation.  Even today his lyrics loom loudly.

All bulls*** aside, he's a terrible writer.

Give me a bad singer singing their own material who has something to say; over a smooth singer with great voice, singing what someone else has to say.

Economics and technology in the current system works against the small artists. I am waiting for technology to allow a greater voice to artists who walk a different path.

A slightly different twist on the lyrics mentions

Mr. Jones and me stumbling through the barrio

Yeah we stare at the beautiful women

"She's perfect for you, Man, there's got to be somebody for me."

I want to be Bob Dylan

Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky

When everybody loves you, son, that's just about as funky as you can be

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Give me a bad singer singing their own material who has something to say; over a smooth singer with great voice, singing what someone else has to say.

All depends on the mood. Somedays I want a band raging through 50 seconds blasts of fury along the lines of Zeke, and other days I want to hear Joe Pass doing a beautiful interpretation of an old Jazz number solo on his guitar, or Barney Kessel doing a version of Charlie Christian. All depends on the moods. :)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
All depends on the mood. Somedays I want a band raging through 50 seconds blasts of fury along the lines of Zeke, and other days I want to hear Joe Pass doing a beautiful interpretation of an old Jazz number solo on his guitar, or Barney Kessel doing a version of Charlie Christian. All depends on the moods.  :)

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of Dylan-esque songs. Yes covers can be good.

Dylan the writer? very good.

Dylan the 'singer'? eh not so good.

By the way, Bob needs to turn off the radio and the MTV and SEARCH out good music. It's still out there, it just requires some work to find it. That might not be such a bad thing either.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of Dylan-esque songs. Yes covers can be good.

In somewhat of a Dylan style, I would take Nick Drake over Dylan ANYday of the week. Dylan is an icon, and needs respect, which is why I think this comment even made it into CNN. It's a rather "DUH" statement to be hearing from somebody of his stature, and it makes worlds more sense for him to say this than it did for Elton John to do a duet with Eminem, or friggin' Sinatra and his silly duet albums. If Dylan came out doing a duet with Fred Durst, I think all in the world would be lost.

Great modern day lyricist: Tim Armstrong. Kalapse, calm down. Tim is very good and really hits the social side and the "street" side very well. "Journey To The End Of East Bay" is brilliant.

Every generation should have their own artists that speak to their experiences, the times that they are living in. I think it is far scarier for kids today to be listening to recycled 60s and 70s hits than to have their own music no matter how crappy. So no matter how gifted and talented I believe Dylan to be, kids -- find your own damn muse.

QUOTE(OldRetiredGuy @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Every generation should have their own artists that speak to their experiences, the times that they are living in. I think it is far scarier for kids today to be listening to recycled 60s and 70s hits than to have their own music no matter how crappy.  So no matter how gifted and talented I believe Dylan to be, kids -- find your own damn muse.

I agree 100%, O.R.G.!

Enjoy Dylan's stuff, for sure, as well as whoever else you like from the past - for me the #1 "old" band is Thin Lizzy - but also concentrate on finding great new music. Dig around, there's tons of great bands out there.

QUOTE(OldRetiredGuy @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
Every generation should have their own artists that speak to their experiences, the times that they are living in. I think it is far scarier for kids today to be listening to recycled 60s and 70s hits than to have their own music no matter how crappy.  So no matter how gifted and talented I believe Dylan to be, kids -- find your own damn muse.

Hell no, there will never be another rock era like there was from the early 60s through the early 70s. Reggae will never be as good as it was in the mid-70s. Jazz fusion will never produce thousands of killer tracks per year like it did from 1967 to 1973. James Brown ain't coming back, and neither are Al Green, Otis Redding, or Marvin Gaye for that matter.

There's nothing wrong with keeping this stuff alive, is there? Are you suggesting that it should just die with your generation? That's perhaps one of the most selfish things that I've ever heard. A candy-ass argument, for sure.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Hell no, there will never be another rock era like there was from the early 60s through the early 70s.  Reggae will never be as good as it was in the mid-70s.  Jazz fusion will never produce thousands of killer tracks per year like it did from 1967 to 1973.  James Brown ain't coming back, and neither are Al Green, Otis Redding, or Marvin Gaye for that matter. 

There's nothing wrong with keeping this stuff alive, is there?  Are you suggesting that it should just die with your generation?  That's perhaps one of the most selfish things that I've ever heard.  A candy-ass argument, for sure.

Great music is timeless.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Hell no, there will never be another rock era like there was from the early 60s through the early 70s.  Reggae will never be as good as it was in the mid-70s.  Jazz fusion will never produce thousands of killer tracks per year like it did from 1967 to 1973.  James Brown ain't coming back, and neither are Al Green, Otis Redding, or Marvin Gaye for that matter. 

There's nothing wrong with keeping this stuff alive, is there?  Are you suggesting that it should just die with your generation?  That's perhaps one of the most selfish things that I've ever heard.  A candy-ass argument, for sure.

I think both posts are valid. Music cannot stay static. Should artists stop recording because they could not do better than Mercy Mercy Me? I remember an artist stating that after listening to Sgt. Peppers, they thought why record anything, this album is perfect.

I believe that every generation should have some music they call their own. I have the mid to late 70s stadium rock. Aerosmith, The Who, Springsteen. Others have rap or country. But form your own memories while respecting and enjoying the older stuff that layed the base.

So keep the old, but have music that reflects today, with today's issues.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
OK, let's have y'alls favorite Dylan lyric:

For sure, my #1 is from Tangled Up in Blue:

She was married when we first met, soon to be divorced.

Helped her out of a jam I guess, but I used a little too much force

Damn Jim, I'm hooked on Tangled up in Blue. It is now my favorite Dylan tune.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
And after the tragic death of John Lennon and Kurt Kobain, I don't know that there is a lyricisit alive who owns the right to say that like Dylan.

I can name quite a few: Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Clapton, Springsteen, Bono, etc.

Dylan was an incredible songwriter. But I'm not sure that someone with his voice is in much of a position to be casting stones.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I can name quite a few: Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Clapton, Springsteen, Bono, etc.

Dylan was an incredible songwriter.  But I'm not sure that someone with his voice is in much of a position to be casting stones.

Ummmm...Morrison is kind of...ummmm...dead. Though the BBC might be looking for an interview, he is surely dead.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Ummmm...Morrison is kind of...ummmm...dead. Though the BBC might be looking for an interview, he is surely dead.

The government and Jim would like you to believe that :ph34r:

Is Jim Morrison Alive?

image Most people think the musician Jim Morrison, lead singer for the Doors, died in Paris on July 3, 1971. But Gerald Pitts says that he "discovered Jim Morrison Living on a Ranch in the Pacific Northwest in the summer of 1998." According to him, Morrison is living a quiet life as an American cowboy "away from the Hollywood scene." Even though Morrison evidently engineered an elaborate death hoax to escape publicity, he agreed to appear on film for Pitts. You can buy a copy of this film for only $24.95 (shipping is extra). Pitts' site includes a video comparing the features of Jim Morrison the fifty-something cowboy to Jim Morrison the twenty-something singer. However, no matter how many times I watch the video, I just don't see any similarity.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 07:13 AM)
It was very much the "older" posters who replied first.  I don't know that Bob Dylan has ever enamored himself to young generations like say the Beatles have, and that's just too bad.  Dylan is a genius.

I guess I'm in the minority here as I have 5 CDs and still break out one of my dad's old records...

ROCK ON BOB :headbang

Very few in my generation can write music, thats why i listen to few new songs, Dave Matthews being one of the few the writes and plays well, hopefully he'll have a chance to shine as well as Dylan has...

Edited by Pauly8509CWS