It's official

gotoh00

QUOTE(gotoh00 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
The skip says Iguchi will hit 2nd come opening day.  He may consider dropping him into the cleanup zone if he shows he can hit for power.  Either way, we all win.

http://www.nikkansports.co.jp/ns/baseball/...50224-0028.html

Yes, just read the link, it's all perfectly clear.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
Tomorrow is opening day?  Of what?

It is the opening day of Ozzie's mouth again. :D

I am not listening to a word Ozzie says right now. Contreras #3 starter? Uribe leading off against LHP? Iguchi hitting 9th? I don't buy any of them, quite frankly.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
It is the opening day of Ozzie's mouth again. :D

I am not listening to a word Ozzie says right now.  Contreras #3 starter? Uribe leading off against LHP? Iguchi hitting 9th?  I don't buy any of them, quite frankly.

Actually, I believe Contreras will start game 3 of the season. Ozzie's reasoning was very sound.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Actually, I believe Contreras will start game 3 of the season.  Ozzie's reasoning was very sound.

I could understand that, so long as the rotation goes in an order of 1-2-4-3-5...I do not want Contreras as our 3rd starter, because he is not our 3rd best starter at all.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
I could understand that, so long as the rotation goes in an order of 1-2-4-3-5...I do not want Contreras as our 3rd starter, because he is not our 3rd best starter at all.

Ummm ... I fail to see what difference it makes whatsoever.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Nothing is official in ST, especially with how Ozzie chirps.  I don't think he remembers today what he said Monday.

Yes and that's one thing that really bothers me about the guy. He may not always remember but others do and may take offense, weakening his credibility and standing as a leader. I really want to believe in and like the guy but my gut instincts tell me that he might not be a Manuel or Bevington, but he's not the guy to take us where we haven't been since 1917. When it comes to Ozzie, I remain far from convinced.

QUOTE(OldRetiredGuy @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
The players have to play. I could give Emeril a 5 pound horsemeat roast, and while he'd do better than my housemate with it, he isn't going to turn it into steak.

I figure the manager is about 5% of the equation, and only after  the first 95% realizes it.

I suspect Emeril will do a bang up job with that horsemeat. :D Seriously though, it's true if a coach or manager doesn't have the horses (no pun intended) the team isn't going anywhere. Still I believe all things being equal a good coach or manager can get the most out of his team and then some. I saw Chuck Tanner out manage the great Earl Weaver in 1979, and closer to the present in another sport Bill Belichick seems to outclass and outperform Bill Cowher every time it really matters.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Yes and that's one thing that really bothers me about the guy. He may not always remember but others do and may take offense, weakening his credibility and standing as a leader. I really want to believe in and like the guy but my gut instincts tell me that he might not be a Manuel or Bevington, but he's not the guy to take us where we haven't been since 1917. When it comes to Ozzie, I remain far from convinced.

Then please name some managers that would be able to take us there. Instead of bashing the current guy for no apparent or explained reason why don't you give us some examples of who you would have hired in order to get us to where we have not been since 1917. Would you have rather had Cito Gaston?

Who would have though Joe Torre would have done that for the Yanks. He was a terrible manager for the STL Cardinals and the next year and first year with the Yanks he takes them to the World Series and wins it. How about Jack McKeon for the Marlins, Terry Francona for the Red Sox, Mike Scioscia for the Angels, or Bob Brenly for the Diamondbacks. I am sure none of those guys were viewed as a manager to get their respective team to the world series let alone win it. However all of them did just that.

Point is you never ever know exactly what you have. My recomendation to you is be happy we have a very colorful and fun manager and enjoy him while you can. He may just be the guy that wins us the World Series. Stop being such a negative guy and back your team and the manager of your team. He seems like a very easy guy to like and if nothing else he is very entertaining. Thank God we don't have that big blob that sits on the bench on northside.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Then please name some managers that would be able to take us there. Instead of bashing the current guy for no apparent or explained reason why don't you give us some examples of who you would have hired in order to get us to where we have not been since 1917. Would you have rather had Cito Gaston?

Who would have though Joe Torre would have done that for the Yanks. He was a terrible manager for the STL Cardinals and the next year and first year with the Yanks he takes them to the World Series and wins it. How about  Jack McKeon for the Marlins, Terry Francona for the Red Sox, Mike Scioscia for the Angels, or Bob Brenly for the Diamondbacks. I am sure none of those guys were viewed as a manager to get their respective team to the world series let alone win it. However all of them did just that.

Point is you never ever know exactly what you have. My recomendation to you is be happy we have a very colorful and fun manager and enjoy him while you can. He may just be the guy that wins us the World Series. Stop being such a negative guy and back your team and the manager of your team. He seems like a very easy guy to like and if nothing else he is very entertaining. Thank God we don't have that big blob that sits on the bench on northside.

Ouch! Man call off the dogs. Yes he is a colorful and fun guy, and I loved him when he played on the Sox. I still think he is afflicted at times with a bad case of foot in mouth disease. I may not be totally in the Ozzie camp, and he might not have been my first choice, but I'm not throwing in the towel on him yet. My favorite Sox manager was Al Lopez who did more with less for almost a decade. Still he might have managed us right out of WS championship by being stubborn about Billy Pierce. The Senor could hold a grudge and in this case it may have cost him. My favorite manager since I've followed the game was Earl Weaver, but as I stated previously I saw him out manuevered by Chuck Tanner in 79. My favorite manager today is Lou Piniella who sadly appears to be dying on the vine in that baseball wilderness in Florida. Like I said I like Ozzie better than his two predecessors, but I'm not yet sold. Ozzie still has to "show me". He's got a team more to his liking now, so maybe he'll do just that. Sheesh, wasn't trying to nail the guy just voice an opinion. And how would you like that horsemeat cooked. Emeril is not available at this time. I'm the chef. :D