What are you reading?

BobDylan

I've got a couple of things going at the moment:

Warrior Woman by Maxine Hong

The Good of Affluence, Seeking God in a Culture of Wealth by Schneider

And my goal is by Easter to have read all of the Books of the Prophets in the Old Testament...

Plus at the moment I am reading: Specificity of memory representations for spoken words. By Luce and Lyons (article)

On Writing is really solid. It helps you cut through all the bulls*** that you think you have to write. I like his white rabbit example, and his railing against adverbs.

Right now I'm reading "Living on Luck", a collection of letters that Bukowski wrote in the 60's and 70's. It's pretty solid.

I am reading the financial reports on a company I am buying. :banghead

After my brain goes to mush I switch to re-reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Any fans of Twilight Zone, and mysteries will love this book.

ANyone up to an on-line book club read? Someone recommend a book, wait a week or two and we could start a thread?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
ANyone up to an on-line book club read? Someone recommend a book, wait a week or two and we could start a thread?

That sounds cool, but I'm a picky b****. I don't read fiction and I read very slowly.

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
That sounds cool, but I'm a picky b****. I don't read fiction and I read very slowly.

The club I was active with a few years ago read a lot of fiction. I joined to force myself to read some good fiction and it sparked me to read more.

We should probably start with a baseball book. Perhaps fiction, maybe not. Any suggestions?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Denystified? It doesn't seem that mystical  :P

Haha! Just Tuesday the European Commission approved a drug called Prialt for sale in the UE (it got FDA approval back in December) as a treatment of chronic severe pain. It’s a synthetic version of a toxic compound isolated from a venomous tropical pacific snail! Because the compound works on neuropathic pain at the level of the presynaptic neurotransmitter by blocking certain ion channels, it can be used to manage pain without the systemic side effects of current opioid therapeutants.

Yeah, no need to dumb any of that down for the public… :P

Hopefully a number of promising marine-derived drugs will see the light of day before too long. Funny, for the longest time "drugs from the sea" meant that errant bail of pot that washed ashore occasionally after smugglers dumped their cargo. We call them "square grouper" – and they’re quite a valuable catch pound for pound.

:D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
After my brain goes to mush I switch to re-reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Any fans of Twilight Zone, and mysteries will love this book.

GREAT book!!! Best "Vampire" story ever.

I'm reading: Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine. Slow going on this one. I used to read 3 books a week, and then I fell off on reading. I really need to get back to it, but when I have free time, I usually grab the guitar.