RotoWorld Top 100

Gene Honda Civic

Two Links

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/conte...B&storyid=10919

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/conte...B&storyid=10917

14. Jeremy Reed - OF Mariners - Age 23 - ETA: Now

Previous rankings: mid-2003 #47, 2004 #4, mid-2004 #10

.275/.357/.420, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 34/36 K/BB, 12 SB in 276 AB for Triple-A Charlotte

.305/.366/.455, 5 HR, 36 RBI, 22/23 K/BB, 13 SB in 233 AB for Triple-A Tacoma

.397/.470/.466, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 4/7 K/BB, 3 SB in 58 AB for Seattle

After deciding he wasn’t a true .400 hitter, the White Sox sent Reed to the Mariners in last summer’s Freddy Garcia trade. Reed played a little better after the deal and was very impressive after his September callup, forcing Seattle to give him strong consideration for a job this year. It appears that he’ll start in center field, at least against right-handers. Reed probably won’t have the range to stay there for his entire career, but he should be able to put off a move to a corner for a few years. With a minor league OBP right around .400 since he was drafted in 2002, he projects as a long-term leadoff man. The Mariners won’t need him in that role anytime soon, but he could bat second beginning in 2006. Expect to see plenty of .300/.370/.450 seasons from Reed. That won’t make him a star, but he should be well above average in his prime.

57. Brian Anderson - OF White Sox - Age 23 - ETA: April 2006

Previous rankings: mid-2004 #115

.319/.394/.531, 8 HR, 46 RBI, 44/29 K/BB, 10 SB in 254 AB for Single-A Winston Salem

.270/.346/.416, 4 HR, 27 RBI, 30/19 K/BB, 3 SB in 185 AB for Double-A Birmingham

.233/.340/.378, 3 HR, 13 RBI, 21/14 K/BB, 5 SB in 90 AB for Mesa (AFL)

Anderson may not have as much upside as a team would like to see from its No. 1 prospect, but he’s a safe pick to settle in as a quality regular for a long time. The 2003 first-rounder projects as a .280-.290 hitter with 20-homer power. He should be able to stay in center field for at least a few years, depending on what happens with Aaron Rowand and Chris Young in the future. He’d be an elite defender in a corner. With Scott Podsednik likely to disappoint, Anderson should have a starting job in 2006. He might be a factor in the second half of this year if injuries are a problem for the White Sox.

66. Brandon McCarthy - RHP White Sox - Age 21 - ETA: May 2006

Previous rankings: none

8-5, 3.64 ERA, 80 H, 113/21 K/BB in 94 AB for low Single-A Kannapolis

6-0, 2.08 ERA, 31 H, 60/3 K/BB in 52 IP for Single-A Winston-Salem

3-1, 3.46 ERA, 23 H, 29/6 K/BB in 26 IP for Double-A Birmingham

Even though he’s 6-foot-7 and had an exceptional juco career, McCarthy lasted until the 17th round of the 2002 draft, mainly because he didn’t throw very hard.  Fortunately, he has added velocity and he might not be done filling out at age 21.  Even working 89-92 mph like he did last year, he was able to lead the minor leagues with 202 strikeouts.  Outstanding command and a very good curveball are his trademarks right now.  He also has an improved changeup.  If he starts touching 95 mph at some point, he could be a terrific major leaguer.  Right now, he profiles as more of a No. 3 or No. 4 starter.

80. Ryan Sweeney - OF White Sox - Age 20 - ETA: 2007

Previous rankings: mid-2004 #124

.283/.342/.379, 7 HR, 66 RBI, 65/40 K/BB, 8 SB in 515 AB for Single-A Winston-Salem

Sweeney, drafted a round after Brian Anderson in 2003, probably should have spent last season in the South Atlantic League.  Instead, the White Sox opted to get aggressive with him, putting him at Winston-Salem with Anderson, who, unlike Sweeney, was a college product.  Sweeney managed to hold his own, though that was all he did.  The White Sox could keep pushing him this year, sticking him at Double-A Birmingham.  Since he can be counted on to develop power and he’s surprisingly disciplined at the plate for someone so young, Sweeney has more star potential than Anderson.  He won’t be ready as quickly as hoped, but he’s a fine bet for the long-term.

137. Chris Young - OF White Sox - Age 21 - ETA: 2008

147. Kris Honel - RHP White Sox - Age 22 - ETA: June 2006

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

(Sweeney) He won’t be ready as quickly as hoped, but he’s a fine bet for the long-term.

I'm not sure what he's referring to. But after Sweeney was drafted I don't think anyone here thought he would be ahead of where he is. Maybe he's referring to how well he did in spring training and relative to that a dissapointing year power wise last year. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not sure what he's referring to. But after Sweeney was drafted I don't think anyone here thought he would be ahead of where he is. Maybe he's referring to how well he did in spring training and relative to that a dissapointing year power wise last year. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think most compared him to BA since they were in teh same round, especially after his big spring, and expected him to succeed everywhere the Sox put him. But really, sweeney struggled early last year, and in my opinion, most thought hed have a terrific year, which he clearly didnt. hopefully we'll see that power develop as he continues to grow.