Pope back in the hospital

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
A. That would be bad karma

B. No points really. He's old.

You get minimal points for oldsters, not zero points. Man, the years I wasted slots filled with should-be ringers - people like Marjorie Stoneman Douglas and the Queen Mum and Reagan and Eubie Blake and George Burns, etc., who just kept hanging on. :banghead :D

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
His closest advisers are at his side. I'll set the over/under at 72 hours.

So what's the over/under on your being struck by a rogue bolt of lightning?

In all seriousness, JPII is one-of-a-kind. Meeting him, shaking his hand etc., ever so briefly when he came and said mass at the old Quigley South way back when I was a kid was a major thrill in the young life of this one-time Catholic with (don't laugh) seminary aspirations.

:drink JPII

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
You get minimal points for oldsters, not zero points.  Man, the years I wasted slots filled with should-be ringers - people like Marjorie Stoneman Douglas and the Queen Mum and Reagan and Eubie Blake and George Burns, etc., who just kept hanging on.  :banghead  :D

We always used 100 minus the age. I remember when someone had River Phoenix. Killed us all that year.

Back to the Pope and the growing speculation of who will replace him. Years ago Cardinal Bernadin was rumoured to be somewhere in the discussion. Sadly, now there really isn't an American even in the mix.

I haven't been able to go to sleep. I know this is a very Catholic feeling, but the Pope has been heavy on my heart tonight as I await a computer beep and a CNN update or other instant report. I'm listening to sad songs and praying. :pray It seems the good, they all die young.

My son is going on retreat this weekend for his Confirmation. Should be an interesting time.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
I dont mean to be disrespectful to him, but as a Lutheran, I really dont hold him any higher than any other human being. We jokeon here about other people all the time. i see him as being no differant.

As someone who is very biblical in orientation, I agree with you 100% with your statement. IMO The bible makes it very clear that no man is better than any other man. The only leader of the church is to be Christ. Every human is to play their own role in the church to the best of their abilities.

I am actually curious if anyone can show me the biblical justification for the Pope, because in my self-admitted limited knowledge I can't find it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
I am actually curious if anyone can show me the biblical justification for the Pope, because in my self-admitted limited knowledge I can't find it.

It's supposed to stem from Simon Peter and "You are the rock on which I shall build the church," etc. Jesus elevated him above the other desciples and the tradition of elevating one above all others in the church on Earth continues in the person of the pope.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
It's supposed to stem from Simon Peter and "You are the rock on which I shall build the church," etc.  Jesus elevated him above the other desciples and the tradition of elevating one above all others in the church on Earth continues in the person of the pope.

Very interesting. I just looked it up to read the context, and the King James version reads like this

"That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

I wish I knew Arameic to read the original.

To me those verses sound about as strong as Bush's mandate. The verses after that are the verses that make Peter Heaven's gate keeper, so it would be pretty easy to interpret that verse as saying He is depending on him to do this important job and the church depends on it, not you are to be the leader of the church, if taken in its full context.

Actually, for me the second verse ("whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven...") represents the Dininely bestowed authority for all of the Popes who followed to make Ex Cathedra proclamations, papal infallability and all that, which according to Church doctrine are as good as hearing the statements directly from God.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
Actually, for me the second verse ("whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven...") represents the Dininely bestowed authority for all of the Popes who followed to make Ex Cathedra proclamations, papal infallability and all that, which according to Church doctrine are as good as hearing the statements directly from God.

See to me that still reads as a part of the privledges and duties as Heaven's gatekeeper. IE if Peter decides someone can enter the gates of Heaven, then they can pass into heaven. If he condemns them then they are stuck on Earth.

Really interesting stuff though. It really tells you how someone can take a verse or two and use that to justify outlawing gay marriage or interracial marriage or just about anything the bible has been used to justify.

Those passages are translated several different ways depending on whose "Seal of Approval" the editors are trying to gain. Most Protestant translations are not that strong, in fact they tip toe around it very well. Catholic Bibles tend to be even more forceful. As always pick your truth, it's probably in the middle somewhere.

I do not believe there will be separate lines for us all on our way to our just rewards. As I mentioned in another thread, effective marketing requires a choice, Coke vs. Pepsi, Christianity vs. Communism, Christianity vs. Homosexuals, and Catholicism vs. Fundamentalism all work out nicely. Yes Virginia, even your spiritual leaders are trying to witness or convert you. Bring your skepticism and shop wisely. Your life may depend on it.

BTW, a CD of today's sermon can be purchased in the lobby along with the glow in the dark Last Supper sculpture.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
See to me that still reads as a part of the privledges and duties as Heaven's gatekeeper.  IE if Peter decides someone can enter the gates of Heaven, then they can pass into heaven.  If he condemns them then they are stuck on Earth.

Really interesting stuff though.  It really tells you how someone can take a verse or two and use that to justify outlawing gay marriage or interracial marriage or just about anything the bible has been used to justify.

Or to justify honoring your parents, not murdering, keeping the sabbath holy, remaining faithful to your spouse, etc. The Bible has been used to justify some very good things also.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Or to justify honoring your parents, not murdering, keeping the sabbath holy, remaining faithful to your spouse, etc. The Bible has been used to justify some very good things also.

Those are clear cut things in a clear cut context. Those are easy reads, and it has nothing to do whether the things were "good" or not.

God never said "No gays shall ever be wed." Its left up to interpretation. God DID say "honor thy mother and father", so we don't have to wonder about it and look for guidence on how to treat our parents.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Those are clear cut things in a clear cut context.  Those are easy reads, and it has nothing to do whether the things were "good" or not.

God never said "No gays shall ever be wed."  Its left up to interpretation.  God DID say "honor thy mother and father", so we don't have to wonder about it and look for guidence on how to treat our parents.

Thou shall not kill seems clear, yet we still have Capital Punishment. Even the clear stuff gets debated.