NYC makes good impression on IOC

southsider2k5

While we are on the topic of the Olympics….

Why doesn’t Chicago try and make a run at the Summer Olympics? I really believe that we have most of the facilities to pull it off. I don’t think a whole lot would need to be built. Plus, it has been held in LA, NY State (soon NY City as well), Atlanta, and Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City got the Olympics before the 3rd largest market in the US?

Chicago to my knowledge has not attempted to get an Olympics.

Also there is one problem, it is all of the canoeing events.

For Atlanta they had to do some major construction on rivers to get it working the right way.

Also US cities should almost always be the front runners for the Olympics, they are the only ones that can afford it, and actually can sell the thing out. Look at how disturbing the attendance for the Athens olympics was, and the fact that they could not get the construction done on time.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
While we are on the topic of the Olympics….

Why doesn’t Chicago try and make a run at the Summer Olympics? I really believe that we have most of the facilities to pull it off. I don’t think a whole lot would need to be built. Plus, it has been held in LA, NY State (soon NY City as well), Atlanta, and Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City got the Olympics before the 3rd largest market in the US?

They did have the Pan-Am games in the 80's, and that was supposed to be a prelude to trying to get the full olympics, but they never did do it.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Chicago to my knowledge has not attempted to get an Olympics.

Also there is one problem, it is all of the canoeing events.

For Atlanta they had to do some major construction on rivers to get it working the right way.

Also US cities should almost always be the front runners for the Olympics, they are the only ones that can afford it, and actually can sell the thing out. Look at how disturbing the attendance for the Athens olympics was, and the fact that they could not get the construction done on time.

SB

They would have to build lots of facilities.... Also for the Pan-Am games Michigan City actually held most of the sailing events. I know South Bend has some world class canoe facilities, so that might be possible also.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
They would have to build lots of facilities....  Also for the Pan-Am games Michigan City actually held most of the sailing events.  I know South Bend has some world class canoe facilities, so that might be possible also.

In regards to shifting the cannoing events out of city, if you remember.... several of Atlanta's water events were at LEAST an hours drive away fromt he city. I think those events were north of Atlanta.

I did some reasearch as to what events are int he Summer olypics vs Chicago facilities.

Wrestling - UIC Pavilion

Weightlifting - UIC Pavilion

Volleyball - United Center

Tennis - Must Build a Facility

Triathlon - ????

Taekwondo - Welsh-Ryan Arena (Northwestern)

Table Tennis - Welsh-Ryan Arena (Northwestern)

Softball - Wrigley or US Cellular

Shooting - Must Build a Facility

Sailing - Out of the City

Rowing - Out of the City

Modern Pentathlon

Judo - All-State Arena

Field Hockey - Ryan Field

Equestrian - Must Build a Facility

Fencing - All-State Arena

Soccor - Ryan Field

Gymnastics - All-State Arena

Handball - ????